3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Got my Max!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 10:41 PM

Im a pig in s*** right now, finally picked it up tonight, 138k miles and still purring, the inside was so well maintained i'd think it was new, and the out is great too. The only thing is the front driver window goes down alright, but then when you put it back up it starts REALLY SLOW and then almost stops about half way, then will continue up. Is there anyway i can fix this? Going down the window moves alright. Any suggestions?
Old 10-23-2000, 10:48 PM

My passanger side does that, probably have to have it lubed or your motor is dying out.
Old 10-23-2000, 11:25 PM
STFU n00b!

sounds like the regulator (roll-up mechanism) has been replaced and they didn't line up everything 100% when they put it back together.
the regulators are a common problem in these cars. don't be surprised if you have any break on you. they're about $60 each (arts cost) to replace. labor charge to do the replacement will cost $20-60.

in order to solve the roll-up problem, here's one thing you can try..

#1 lube the weatherstipping with silicone lubricant. works great, doesn't leave a mess.

If this doesn't help, you can try to adjust the regulator alignment..
pull off the door panel <a href=http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/maxima_stuff/door%20panel%20removal%20procedure.txt>(click here for instructions)</a>
now you'll see 7 "gold" colored screws.. loosen the four screws that are in pairs.. (you'll see a group of 2 at the top and bottom of the door. another group of 3 in triangle shape in the middle) do not remove the screws, just loosen them so they can slide around. If you'll notice the holes are oval shaped already.. this is to provide room for adjustment like this)

Nooow, plug the switchplate back in and roll the window up and down again and check to see where the screws "wind up" after that. when you think you've got it in the right spot, tighten down all the screws and try rolling it up/down again.. if it still needs work, loosen and tryagain.

hope that helps, and WELCOME!
Old 10-23-2000, 11:28 PM

Thank you so much! I love this board, its such a great help for everything!
Old 10-23-2000, 11:28 PM

Here's the story on those:

The weather stripping that guides the window up deteriorates from it's once smooth, harder form. When the window goes up it rubs against it, causing a lot more friction than what it should. I have has this problem on both of my 91 SE's. On my white one, the driver door did that and on my black one, the passenger door did it. I use this stuff I got from NAPA auto parts which is a graphite "dry" lubricant. It is at home now and I cannot recall the name. What you do is squeeze the bottle into the stripping and the dry graphite comes out, kind of sticking to the track, making the window easier to go up. It might take a couple applications, but the stuff goes a long way and has proved itself. If I recall the name of the product, I'll let you know. But that's the key: to get something in there that will not make the rubber tract any more "tachy" or "sticky" which will impede the window. Good luck and congratulations on your purchase!
Old 10-24-2000, 10:04 AM

Welcome to the club!!

Don't go Mod happy now!

Enjoy the ride.