3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Good or Bad Idea 2: Repainting car a different colour?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 11:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let's say I get a Max and I don't like the colour of it, say for the sake of discussion it's BROWN and I'd like it to be SUPERBLACK instead. Would repainting the car be an option, or is it wiser just to leave it stock? I picked brown because then there's no complications with the base colour interfering. I'm not talking about no $299.99 special paint job either, I'd be looking at a good/very good job from some place that has BMWs parked out front. How much would this cost (roughly)? Has anyone else done this? I'd like to hear from you! Thanks.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

Min to change the color on a car is probably $3000 for semi-decent job. It may or may not be better quality than the base Nissan paint on the 3-gens(which is pretty damned good) You could spent $5000 for a good job.

Your $xxxxx maxima is now a $xxxxx+$3-$4000 maxima. You will never see any of this come resell time. Is it worth that much to you to spend that much money just to change the color?
Old 08-16-2001, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Min to change the color on a car is probably $3000 for semi-decent job. ..... You could spent $5000 for a good job.
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
The scariest part is, I live in Canada, so that translates to what? $10000000.00 or so??? :
Old 08-16-2001, 01:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

American $$ x 1.5 = Canadian $$ approximately.

Originally posted by Bman

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
The scariest part is, I live in Canada, so that translates to what? $10000000.00 or so??? :
Old 08-16-2001, 02:32 PM

yeah I know, it's just a joke around here that's all
Old 08-16-2001, 03:26 PM

I got my car painted last year,as a graduation present.. I didnt change the color, but I got a fresh new paint job...I got it done at Maaco for 600.00, and I have no complaints about the paint...It looks awesome and they did a really nice job...Just my .02
Old 08-16-2001, 07:52 PM

Whats the biggest difference from the $5000 paint job and the $600 maaco paint job? Is it the quality of the paint, the process of painting, the number of layers of paint or something else? NE1 got pictures of a $5000 paint job, I know what a $600 maaco looks like?
Old 08-16-2001, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Bman
Let's say I get a Max and I don't like the colour of it, say for the sake of discussion it's BROWN and I'd like it to be SUPERBLACK instead. Would repainting the car be an option, or is it wiser just to leave it stock? I picked brown because then there's no complications with the base colour interfering. I'm not talking about no $299.99 special paint job either, I'd be looking at a good/very good job from some place that has BMWs parked out front. How much would this cost (roughly)? Has anyone else done this? I'd like to hear from you! Thanks.
if you're gonna do this, make sure it is done right (i.e. repaint EVERYTHING where stock paint was (i.e. including engine bay, door sills, etc...) and you're gonna be looking at at least $2500 for a decent job. Like jeff said, is it really worth doing this? if you're gonna do it, id suggest you painting it a non-stock color (otherwise, why wouldnt you have bought a maxima in that color?) anyways.... you're look at atleast $2500 and somewhere around there, depending on where you go
Old 08-16-2001, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Black90SE
I got my car painted last year,as a graduation present.. I didnt change the color, but I got a fresh new paint job...I got it done at Maaco for 600.00, and I have no complaints about the paint...It looks awesome and they did a really nice job...Just my .02

I had my dad's 90 Camry painted at Maaco for $400 (no door jambs).

It was an excellent job and most people can't even tell if it was repainted. I regularly apply wax and I guess that is why it is still looks good even after 4 years.

It all depends on the actual guy painting your car. How much experience he has had.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:50 PM

Hmm, all this talk of the power of the Maaco special is very encouraging indeed but... It's true what Shug said that I'd have to get places like the engine bay and under the hood (some under trunk?) painted too - didn't think about some of those. Bet the engine bay is a real dog to paint without covering everything with overspray.

I was thinking about this because I love the look of the superblack Max, but even finding a 3gen SE 5 speed around here in any colour is hard enough. I almost dread the day I find one because I just know it's going to be some tempting colour like superwhite or silver and I'll be faced with a tough choice.

I might call up some shops anyway to see how much I'd be looking at, but I know it's not going to be pretty.

(but darn it, black just looks so BAD@SS...)
Old 08-17-2001, 12:28 AM

painting car..

macco paint jobs are cheap because they are able to paint the car in a minimal amount of time.. meaning they dont prep the car and crap, get all the dents out, small minor stuff that would make the difference, the difference isnt much.. here in simple words

Most shop rates here are close to $50.00 an hour, so divide that by the cost and you get how much time they can spend on your car and still show a profit. No one should expect a complete restoration for a budget price.

so shop around and try to find good price's painting a car, doenst take much.. its just the labor those place's charge.

I personally will be paiting my car black soon, champage is nice but i like black
Old 08-17-2001, 12:28 AM

Sorry to intrude...BUT

I also might want to do this. Problem is that my interior is a burgundy theme, all matching with some black detail on dash and doors. What color would be my option if other than burgundy?
Old 08-17-2001, 09:18 AM

Is black the most sought after color becuase I think the charcoal gray looks the best which is fortunately what I have.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:37 AM

Re: painting car..

Originally posted by mykizism
I personally will be paiting my car black soon, champage is nice but i like black
Good for you! About how much are you planning to spend? Is the new paint same as factory type (which is what - urethane??)? Let us know how it turns out when it's done!

BeatJunky:I dunno about you, but if it were me I'd paint it black (or whatever) anyway and not care about the interior matching because I know the exterior is the colour I really want and care about. I'm a tan-interior man myself
Old 08-17-2001, 11:20 PM

Personally, I would buy a Superblack max. Don't go and repaint your max Superblack unless you have the money to spend. I had a $2000 paint job done on my car which was free for me because my friend at a auto detailing school needed a car to paint and he was graded by his instructor so the paint had to match perfectly so it looked like the car was never repainted. My friend added a little mix of color changing skyblue/silver paint in it. It's not really noticable unless you are stare at the car for a while. I've had friends that had Maaco paint jobs for $500. Some were good and some were bad. I heard at Maaco (for a $300 paint job) all they do is wash your car and spray right over the stock paint. One of my friend's car was painted 8-9 months ago and the paint is starting to peel. Another of my friend's car was painted a year and a half ago and it is still holding up pretty nicely. Make sure you get the door jambs, underneath the hood, fenders, trunk, engine bay, and all that painted as well if you want it to look good (this was mentioned earlier).
Old 08-18-2001, 09:32 AM

Bman

I live in Montreal, Quebec and I am possibly selling my car. Let me know if you're curious.

David
Old 08-18-2001, 10:25 AM

Re: Bman

Originally posted by FiSH
I live in Montreal, Quebec and I am possibly selling my car. Let me know if you're curious.

David

Umm, thanks I really appreciate the gesture but I'm on the other side of the continent... heh

Nice ride by the way!
Old 08-18-2001, 03:49 PM

Try this Shop for a Paint Job(Jersey)

The shop is in Northern Jersey but I live in Philadelphia( tells you how good a job they do, if I'm willing to drive that far). Wiggins Auto Body INC(Collision Repairs and Painting) Body& Frame Alignment System (908)561-5722 ask for Earnest Shakir(Owner) 413 West 2nd Street Plainsfield, NJ 07060(use MSN direction finder MAPS) tell him SAJ( Dr Mailks friend referred you. Dr Mailks son owns a custom convertable 1989 Acura Legend with a body Kit and custom hood. When we took my 300ZX and his car to the street races in Philly he got into a fight and they damaged his car pretty bad. But this shop put it back to original including the Ferrari red paint and fiberglass hood. His brother had his hondas framed pulled back out after someone at the races crashed into him with a motorcycle, he went all out and painted the car lime green. I'm driving my Z for right now but my car is going in the shop for a new tranny and paint when I come up on some $$$$. If you live in the Philadelphia area I still have a big can of custom pearl white with metal flakes, one of my friends at a body shop mixed it for me before he quit. Enought paint to do a Maxima and maybe a small honda. email if interested in the paint carboi@hotmail.com