3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Does a broken exhaust manifold stud....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 11:30 PM

cause lost in power or what are the symptom? I hear the chirping sound from the leak and also my car has a rough idle if I don't warm up the engine before I run the car. Also I notice a loss in torque (car doesn't seem to pull as fast as it used to).

Also is it possible that the broken stud could have fallen into the piping and got stuck in the cat. conv? I have something rattling in the cat. conv. but was thinking of fixing the exhaust stud first before checking out the other sound. If the stud is in the cat converter then I have to ask the mechanic to take of the whole exhaust system to get it out. DAMN.

[Edited by SeaMAX on 08-27-2000 at 01:50 AM]
Old 08-27-2000, 02:26 PM
STFU n00b!

answers...

<I>Does a broken exhaust manifold stud cause lost in power or what are the symptom? I hear the chirping sound from the leak and also my car has a rough idle
if I don't warm up the engine before I run the car. Also I notice a loss in torque (car doesn't seem to pull as fast as it
used to). </i>

Usually, you won't notice the loss in power, but there have been cases of noticeable loss.. usually that's only in serious exhaust leakage cases though.

<i>Also is it possible that the broken stud could have fallen into the piping and got stuck in the cat. conv? I have
something rattling in the cat. conv. but was thinking of fixing the exhaust stud first before checking out the other
sound. If the stud is in the cat converter then I have to ask the mechanic to take of the whole exhaust system to get it out. DAMN.</i>

No, that's impossible. the studs bolt through a flange on the outside of the exhaust piping. if there was a broken stud inside your exhaust, you've got some SERIOUS problems (like your manifold would have had to fall completely off!)
Old 08-28-2000, 10:30 AM

the same problem

I got the same problem on my 92GXE
it sux and nissan should do something about it plain and simple.

u really won't notice a loss in power. i've been drivin mine for 1.5 years (still do when i don't feel like drivin my 95) and i don't notice much power loss. again mine isn't that serious but the thing that bother me the MOST about it is the NOISE that it creates. it just kills the pleasure of driving the car. all i hear is that stupid exhaust leak. geez.
yes and heatin up the car is a good idea i got a remote starter so i don't have to go start it.
i've considered repairing it but the charge is way too much.
if there is any way to get it fixed w/o charge i'll drive anywhere to get it done. i'll even write an essay to nissan but i don't think that'd work......dam
as far as bolt falling i'd agree with matt and say thats very unlikely.

Ant
Old 08-28-2000, 10:03 PM

Re: the same problem

Originally posted by Ant95se

if there is any way to get it fixed w/o charge i'll drive anywhere to get it done. i'll even write an essay to nissan but i don't think that'd work......dam
as far as bolt falling i'd agree with matt and say thats very unlikely.

Ant
I got mine fixed on my '93 for free a few weeks ago. The exhaust manifold noise showed up after a front end collision. I mentioned it to the insurance adjustor and he said that since it was on the front of the engine and could have been damaged in the collision he agreed to pay for the repair. I didn't ask any questions and got it done right away. The bill to the insurance was $276.

Old 08-29-2000, 06:47 AM

U sure its the same problem

one or two of the studs on the exhaust manifold are broken and in the head.

It seems very unlikely, though not impossbile, that anyone would repair this for $276
The labor alone can take 5-6 hours and i haven't seen one mechanic that will guarantee that the head will not be damaged or that i don't need a new head.

This is the problem

Ant.
Old 08-29-2000, 04:52 PM

Re: U sure its the same problem

Originally posted by Ant95se
one or two of the studs on the exhaust manifold are broken and in the head.

It seems very unlikely, though not impossbile, that anyone would repair this for $276
The labor alone can take 5-6 hours and i haven't seen one mechanic that will guarantee that the head will not be damaged or that i don't need a new head.

This is the problem

Ant.
They wouldn't give me any guarantees going into it either. I probably got lucky (or the insurance company got lucky). The diagnosis was: Blown manifold gasket, 2 broken studs parts were: Minifold gasket set $31.96, Flange gasket $7.94, 2 studs @$2.12 each. Labor $225.40.

Old 08-29-2000, 06:01 PM

i have the same exhaust leak too...

will aftermarket intake, exhaust, y-pipe, etc. be effected by the leak? does the y-pipe connect to the exhaust manifold?