3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

CAI Installation Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 12:57 PM
Getting back to his roots

Ok, so I got my PR CAI in the mail last week from Greg's group buy (VE engine). When I checked out the template, I was horrified to see that the hole I needed to cut was an oval, not a circle. When I went into the purchase, I assumed I was going to buy a circular drill bit and just drill a 3.25" hole. Now, it seems I need a saw of some sort (a tool which I must rent). Whoever has done this, please give a little advice: which is better -- a jigsaw or a reciprocating saw? (or neither). Also, what type of blade should I buy so as to minimize the frustration of the cutting process? On a different note, how do you take apart the fenderwall to get the filter on to the lower tube? I called Place Racing and they simply said it would be "obvious". I want to do all the research first, rather than dive in and then find that I am stranded for a few days while I go and get the necessary equipment. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:57 PM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've tried the holesaw, but IMO using a Dremel is a much easier option. Simple to manage, more acccurate and cuts nice and clean.

Have 3 of the small cut-off discs ready to do the job.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:57 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Overlap

I used 2 overlapping holes to create the oval.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:59 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

yeah the hole saw is a PITA...i used a saw's all to do mine free hand. i just used a blade that was specified for use with metal and the cut was easy. as for the filter installation..you need to remove the splash guard. it's held on to the fender by phillips screws around the tire and one towards the front bumper (maybe 2)
Old 08-24-2001, 10:21 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Originally posted by Chris91SE
yeah the hole saw is a PITA...i used a saw's all to do mine free hand. i just used a blade that was specified for use with metal and the cut was easy. as for the filter installation..you need to remove the splash guard. it's held on to the fender by phillips screws around the tire and one towards the front bumper (maybe 2)
I Had no trouble with the hole saw after I figured out that I needed to lock down the chuck that holds the guide bit.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:32 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by blackandwhite

I Had no trouble with the hole saw after I figured out that I needed to lock down the chuck that holds the guide bit.
i don't think it would have been too much of a problem either. i just had a bad experience right of the bat. the drill kicked and i thought my arm had come off...so i said f-it and started cutting
Old 08-25-2001, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

i don't think it would have been too much of a problem either. i just had a bad experience right of the bat. the drill kicked and i thought my arm had come off...so i said f-it and started cutting
yeah i thought my arm was gonna snap off ,i only got one hole cut and then i used my manly muscles to pry open the hole bigger to fit the tube
Old 08-25-2001, 09:59 AM

I just did mine last night

And I used a saws-all, or reciprocating saw, to cut the hole. The filter was not easy to fit throught the fender, but you do need to take off 3-4 screws, and even then, you'll have to deform the filter as much as you can while pulling the fender and splash guard apart. Good luck, and it's definitely worth it.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
Ok, so I got my PR CAI in the mail last week from Greg's group buy (VE engine). When I checked out the template, I was horrified to see that the hole I needed to cut was an oval, not a circle. When I went into the purchase, I assumed I was going to buy a circular drill bit and just drill a 3.25" hole. Now, it seems I need a saw of some sort (a tool which I must rent). Whoever has done this, please give a little advice: which is better -- a jigsaw or a reciprocating saw? (or neither). Also, what type of blade should I buy so as to minimize the frustration of the cutting process? On a different note, how do you take apart the fenderwall to get the filter on to the lower tube? I called Place Racing and they simply said it would be "obvious". I want to do all the research first, rather than dive in and then find that I am stranded for a few days while I go and get the necessary equipment. Thanks for any help.

Email this guy....mxmumpwr89@aol.com...he can tell u all about it...we put in mine.....his name is Chris Gregg....he can tell u in ALOT better detail than i can, and im sure he'll do his best to help u understand!!
Old 08-25-2001, 10:23 PM
Getting back to his roots

All Done

I finished! I went to Home Depot and got a 'saw' drill bit. It has a regular drilling head, but 2.5" of the shaft of the bit is a design that allows you to saw metal and wood. You apply lateral pressure to the metal, and it saws it. It was $6. I drilled a bunch of holes around the edge of the outline then used the saw bit to saw in between them. I then filed the jagged egde down. As for the fender, it actually is pretty easy to take apart, even with my lowered suspension. The only fear I have is that the filter sits a bit lower than I thought it would, which worries me a bit. Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

used a dremel on my gf's altima. no problem. fits snugly.
Jay