3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

finish care

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 03:14 PM
big ed

just inherited 1990 Maxima. Low mileage---good shape. Paint finish is polishing up nice. many "stains". Sap. tar, burd ****, whatever, that was never properly cleaned. What should I try? "Carnuba cleaner polish" or "Sap remover" don't seem aggressive enough. Finish is a dark red. Is this "clear coat finish"? or was this pre-clear coat? What about rubbing compound? Can that get me in trouble if my experience is limited? Any advice?

Old 10-02-2001, 12:56 PM

Meguiars makes some cleaning clay stuff for that very thing. Only use meguiars. They rock.

m
Old 10-02-2001, 01:14 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by big ed
just inherited 1990 Maxima. Low mileage---good shape. Paint finish is polishing up nice. many "stains". Sap. tar, burd ****, whatever, that was never properly cleaned. What should I try? "Carnuba cleaner polish" or "Sap remover" don't seem aggressive enough. Finish is a dark red. Is this "clear coat finish"? or was this pre-clear coat? What about rubbing compound? Can that get me in trouble if my experience is limited? Any advice?

If it doesn't have any/many scratches or swirl marks you need to get out, I would suggest just using a cleaner/wax on it and be done.

Yes, the car is a clear coat finish.
Be VERY careful on the rear wing, as the paint is usually very thin- if it's still got any clearcoat on it at all. (FYI, if you rub through the red on the wing, Krylon makes a color in their $3 spray can line that is VERY close. I repainted my wing with it and no one can tell unless they know I did it).

If you've got some mars or scratches that need buffed, you can use rubbing compound, but usually polishing compound and wax will do the job well enough.
for a show car quality finish, you'll want to completely rub it down with a clay bar or some other cleaner, then polish it with a good liquid polish. meguiar's and 3M both make excellent products for this. I use either 3M's "finesse it II", "Mirror Glaze", or Meguiar's polish- forget the name.. you'll need a couple good buffing pads and a power buffer for this.

once that's done I use Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. goes on easily, then wait an hour and buff off, using several clean towels. get ready for sore shoulders and a long day in the driveway!