3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

took out and 2000 civic SI

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 03:22 PM

I was on my way to a muffler shop to put on my new universal muffler. It about 30 miles to the shop. I meet up with this electronic blue SI. He flew by me so i caught up and the rear window said Club-SI He had a exhust rim that look to heavy on his car and the winshield said( Honda Racing. I was like let's get a peice of him. He probably saw my Maxima.org sticker too. soo this guy look at me and my car and i look at him and nodded my head. the light turn green and i floored my max. I did a nice launch. he squeak his tire. I now ahead of him. I keept on going ahead and now i can see him in my right back door. When i hit 75-80 I was gone. He couldn't keep up. I hit 120 and by then all i could see is a little blue dot. too bad. I felt great. this is my secound time racing 2000 civic SI. First one i lost by half a car length and beat him by top end.
Old 09-12-2001, 03:34 PM
Ford Only.

I highly doubt that. Not to be rude but the civic si is a very fast little car it runs like a 15.6 stock...And a VG runs solid in the 16's 5 speed or auto. And it sounds like he was modded which means he could of easily kept up or beat you.
Old 09-12-2001, 04:29 PM

Well I can say that I to out ran a Civic Si that my buddy has. His car also has rims and a few things but at the same time. My max isnt stock either. But it is possible.
Bigdog
Old 09-12-2001, 04:33 PM

Old 09-12-2001, 04:59 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Hmmmmm........

I don't know...the SI is a low 16/high 15's car IF driven right(high revs, etc.)....I'm not gonna argue over it but heres my $.02, no way a stock VG auto is coming close to beating an SI, especially since VG auto seriously lacks high end and cuts out high in the RPM band as where the SI keep going to 6-7k(i think) and have 5spds...also the SI beats the VG in weight and gearing. but thats just what I know... I'm not saying you didn't beat him, but no way in hell you SMOKED him as bad as you said!
Old 09-12-2001, 05:13 PM

i know what it was....he feared the maxima.....yea i didnt think so either, oh well sounded good when he was typing it i bet..
Old 09-12-2001, 05:16 PM
Ford Only.

Re: Hmmmmm........

Originally posted by DA-MAX
I don't know...the SI is a low 16/high 15's car IF driven right(high revs, etc.)....I'm not gonna argue over it but heres my $.02, no way a stock VG auto is coming close to beating an SI, especially since VG auto seriously lacks high end and cuts out high in the RPM band as where the SI keep going to 6-7k(i think) and have 5spds...also the SI beats the VG in weight and gearing. but thats just what I know... I'm not saying you didn't beat him, but no way in hell you SMOKED him as bad as you said!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-12-2001, 06:52 PM

sorry to mention that i now own a 92 se auto. the 89Maxgxe was actually an se. untill i found this site i notice the dealer mistaken the gxe for an se. i had the vg but now i got the ve. sorry if you guys mistaken by my forum name. I still used my old name. the 92 se auto for $4500 but i ask the dealer to lower it to 4k and i'll pay in cash. so that why i got the deal.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:48 PM

si goood

Originally posted by 89MaxGXEStock
sorry to mention that i now own a 92 se auto. the 89Maxgxe was actually an se. untill i found this site i notice the dealer mistaken the gxe for an se. i had the vg but now i got the ve. sorry if you guys mistaken by my forum name. I still used my old name. the 92 se auto for $4500 but i ask the dealer to lower it to 4k and i'll pay in cash. so that why i got the deal.

i dunno si's have REALLY GOOD Top end power, i raced one when i was stock, and i couldnt even keep up
Old 09-12-2001, 09:55 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

In that case......

you'd have a chance, but a GOOD driver not afraid to redline the gears can put a VE auto in its place easily with a stock SI, other than that I'd say average SI drivers will run low 16's which would most likely tie or beat the VE auto or vice versa, but not by much! they are quick and built for high-end power, and I doubt a stock auto 3rd gen could "smoke" one really badly if the SI driver knows what "Vtec" is all about

Originally posted by 89MaxGXEStock
sorry to mention that i now own a 92 se auto. the 89Maxgxe was actually an se.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:27 PM

Re: In that case......

you'd have a chance, but a GOOD driver not afraid to redline the gears can put a VE auto in its place easily with a stock SI, other than that I'd say average SI drivers will run low 16's which would most likely tie or beat the VE auto or vice versa, but not by much! they are quick and built for high-end power, and I doubt a stock auto 3rd gen could "smoke" one really badly if the SI driver knows what "Vtec" is all about

Ditto
Old 09-12-2001, 11:52 PM

depends on what 3rd gen you pic on

i personaly have punished civic si 2000 and 2001 with all the bolt on short shifter all that but then again i breathe whole lot better up top not your average vg.
Old 09-13-2001, 04:36 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well of course......

if any VG auto 3rd gen makes an exception to beating an SI its definently yours man, I'm pretty sure you left them wondering "WTF is going on!?!?"

Originally posted by MAX/OD
i personaly have punished civic si 2000 and 2001 with all the bolt on short shifter all that but then again i breathe whole lot better up top not your average vg.
Old 09-15-2001, 10:27 AM

I've raced my friend's 99 civic si anbout 20 times and he kicks my a** every time. I have a 91se 5 speed with warpspeed Y-pipe, cold air intake and a cat back exaust. He has injen short intake and a cat back. I beat him off the line every time, but once he hits the vtec he's gone and keeps pulling stong. You have to figure an SI has 160 fwhp and weights only 2600 lbs aprox. If you did beat him he doesn't know how to drive his car.
Old 09-15-2001, 08:15 PM
Neice Anne

Re: depends on what 3rd gen you pic on

Originally posted by MAX/OD

Damn dude, I don't really understand what some of those mods are... what mod did you put on your car that makes it fast enough to take a Civic Si? Those Apex things? Sorry I know I'm stupid.

Old 09-15-2001, 11:15 PM

i beat civic SiR's all the time. u just got to use the right mods.
Old 09-15-2001, 11:17 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Whatever you say....

I'm sure you do...

Originally posted by MaxTypeR
i beat civic SiR's all the time. u just got to use the right mods.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:46 PM

Warpspeed Y pipe / 2.5 all the way without caterlac converter. cattman cAI. No back seats + spare tire.I had some 17x7.5 OZ racing rim on it. very light rim. got from my older bro. also had my timing move to 20 degree. Yeah i know these are cheap stuff but I still working on the car. Money is the big thing.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:27 PM
Ford Only.

You beat Civiv SIR's huh? What do you live in Japan?
Old 09-20-2001, 05:31 PM

yea didnt u notice all of his "japanse parts"...he mean on his video games.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by SEguy182
yea didnt u notice all of his "japanse parts"...he mean on his video games.

civic SIR's are also in canada.... civic SI's in canada = civic Ex in US

sir canada = SI in us
Old 09-20-2001, 05:52 PM

hum.......i still think he plays to much gt3, but i could be wrong...canada does get some different stuff....
Old 09-20-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
You beat Civiv SIR's huh? What do you live in Japan?
yes
Old 09-20-2001, 09:28 PM

yes..ahhh i c u have japanese people living in your garage, i know your tricks...ill get u and your "type r"
Old 09-20-2001, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by SEguy182
yes..ahhh i c u have japanese people living in your garage, i know your tricks...ill get u and your "type r"
what do u have against japanese people? dont even get started about that u racist or ill bomb u like pearl habor. what do u mean ull get my "type r"? whats thats apposed to mean?
Old 09-20-2001, 09:41 PM

your mom dropped u didnt she
Old 09-20-2001, 09:43 PM

if i didnt like japanese people, y would i drive a japanese car?
Old 09-26-2001, 12:17 PM

Re: Re: depends on what 3rd gen you pic on

Originally posted by Neice Anne

Damn dude, I don't really understand what some of those mods are... what mod did you put on your car that makes it fast enough to take a Civic Si? Those Apex things? Sorry I know I'm stupid.
I don't know whats wrong with your maximas, but my brother has a 90 se 5 spd without any mods except that he advanced his timing and took the cat completely off, but he raced a 2000 civic si 5spd not once but twice and the Civic just couldn't keep up . They raced for almost a mile. Don't let those punk *** Hondas fool you! I would destroy a civic si with my Max.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: depends on what 3rd gen you pic on

like I said it possible, but once again, if the driver of the SI knows how to utilize Vtec(ie-shifting at realdine every gear, literally "abusing" the car), most likely the guy racing your bro, didn't know or was a rookie! but if driven right it'll toast any VG or VE auto.....a guy around the corner runs 15.89, bone stock....I don't see any stock VGs or VE autos coming close! but once agian it depends whos driving the Si! and trust me with a stock VG no one is destorying anything as light and as fast as a well driven Si.....
Old 09-26-2001, 12:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: depends on what 3rd gen you pic on

like I said it possible, but once again, if the driver of the SI knows how to utilize Vtec(ie-shifting at realdine every gear, literally "abusing" the car), most likely the guy racing your bro, didn't know or was a rookie! but if driven right it'll toast any VG or VE auto.....a guy around the corner runs 15.89, bone stock....I don't see any stock VGs or VE autos coming close! but once agian it depends whos driving the Si! and trust me with a stock VG no one is destorying anything as light and as fast as a well driven Si.....
I think we are getting just a wee bit technical here. I am not saying the cars is slow. You are just giving it way more credit than it deserves. Its pushing about the same Hp as a VG max so it should be able to beat it but it just didn't happen, twice. You are saying that if Jeff Gordon was driving, it would have beat him. Sounds to me that you are Honda fan, and besides, I said 5spd maxima.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:00 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Actually.......

Originally posted by hova90se
I think we are getting just a wee bit technical here.
technical is the key to why the Si is faster than the VG Maxima(5spd or not) even though HP is the same. Si is lighter and has actual top/highend thanks to Vtec, VG Max is heavier and has no topend whatsoever, so on the highway or in a straight line Max loses either way in the end...stock for stock no Max is going to kill an Si. but I'm not doubting anyone beat one, I'm just making it clear why its so hard to believe! but once again when you get in a 5spd, everything is driver dependent, and 9 out of 10 Si drivers just think "Vtec" is just a cool word Honda came up with, not an actual system to make the car perform to higher standards than expected!
and I'm not a Honda fan, I just know what a fast car can do when driven right!
Old 09-26-2001, 01:38 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I highly doubt any stock Max is gonna beat an SI stop-light to stop-light, except maybe modded VG's (darn you and your low end power!). But from about 40+ I can kill SI's pretty badly. And especially on the highway. I dont see any VG beating an SI on the highway though. SI's really dont have as much high-end as people think. They are high-revving, etc. but that doesnt translate to high-end power. DA-MAX....remember Dirksmoothe is running 15.8's in his VE auto with just intake and cat-back. So, it's possible...
Old 09-26-2001, 01:46 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Oh yeah of course!!!

BUT, stock for stock(VE auto v. Si).....not one mod, I think either tie or one will "edge" the other!! it'll be close for a VE auto but VG, I doubt, the lack of highend is too much to overcome!! my firned's VG 5spd has full exhaust, UDP, CAI, MSD SCI...he runs 15.7's, on the other hand my other friend has a '00 SI and after a few weeks practice on the track and up at the illegals, he ran a 15.95, then a 15.89 stock. those are #'s from my experience, but like I said anything is possible, so I'm not doubting anyone!

Originally posted by James92SE
DA-MAX....remember Dirksmoothe is running 15.8's in his VE auto with just intake and cat-back. So, it's possible...
Old 09-26-2001, 02:04 PM
Ford Only.

I ran a 15.67 on a gtechpro. And DA-MAX is totally right it is all driver. If you know how to drive an auto(1st gear start giving the TC a higher stall and shifting at redline it will help) But I know a VE 5 speed is a surely going to win a Si 5 speed stock for stock. Another thing the Si has going for it is gears. The gearing is very good on them and they do produce a high redline and hits it very quick and efficient. Although a VE auto lags on the low end if drivin right it will be a good match for a Si if not winning it.Key to winning an Si is VE POWER! or VQ but that is no match auto or 5 speed.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:05 PM

It doesn't matter what you guys think. you don't have to believe it. I just thought i share this info with you guys.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:14 PM
Ford Only.

Stay out of this Lets put it like this...They are both fairly fast cars but. Would you rather have a little lunch box civic with no room,luxury,comfort and what everyone drives. Or a Maxima with all of the above and more that hardly anyone has. I would rather smoke a Si in a nice Maxima.
Old 09-26-2001, 05:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: depends on what 3rd gen you pic on

Originally posted by hova90se

I think we are getting just a wee bit technical here. I am not saying the cars is slow. You are just giving it way more credit than it deserves. Its pushing about the same Hp as a VG max so it should be able to beat it but it just didn't happen, twice. You are saying that if Jeff Gordon was driving, it would have beat him. Sounds to me that you are Honda fan, and besides, I said 5spd maxima.

oh god... i dont like hondas either, but ****.. drive an si.. and you`ll know what we are trying to say..

just because a vg has 160 hp and so does an si.. think about the wieght factor.. si is 1000 lbs lighter.. and its all about the launch.. and knowing how to drag...

any thing can happen in a race... so until u cant base things on magazine facts.

Si`s indeed own Vg's stock for stock no doubt... if both are modded with the same mods.. SI will still win.. at the roll, or even at dead stop... at redline.. Si`s pull hard.. REALLY hard..
Old 09-26-2001, 05:20 PM

4DSC!!!
Old 09-26-2001, 08:09 PM

I love it, the "my maxima is unbeatable syndrome". I used to have a 92 SE 5spd that I LOVED but it was destroyed by a drunk truck driver . Now I have a 2001 Honda Prelude 5spd (the Si's older more mature and faster brother). I race riced out Si's all the time and kill them but than again I know how to launch my VTEC (rev to 6K rpms and release the clutch about 70% of the way and once the tires catch punch it down). Ofcourse my Prelude is modded with a CAI, pulleys, and Mugen headers and exhaust which nets me a 1/4 mile of 14.46. The best I could ever muster in my VE 5spd was 15.7. Now an expertly driven Si can run in the mid 15s in the 1/4 but a friend of mine who doesn't understand the launching technique with i/h/e on his Si ran a 16.8 in the 1/4 . I still miss my Maxima, alot, but every time I hit the VTEC crossover in my Prelude I forget all about it .
Old 09-26-2001, 08:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Exactly my point......

if you know what you're doing, it'll work for 'ya....if you don't have a clue then the "Vtec" sticker is just another sticker on your 1/4th panel

Originally posted by Maximus1000
but a friend of mine who doesn't understand the launching technique with i/h/e on his Si ran a 16.8 in the 1/4 .

Quick Reply: took out and 2000 civic SI