3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Charcoal canister

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 08:35 PM

So is the canister really nessesary. I took mine off and closed up the vacuum leaks. Seems like it runs the same. Just wanted to make sure that there are no long term effects. It was removed to acchieve my ram air intake. Hopefully it doesnt need to be there. Thanks

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed
Old 10-29-2000, 09:09 PM

off topic

chris do you use your max in the winter? or do you have a **** box to drive around in, in the winter. do you have any rust on your max? by the do you live in an area where it snows? just wondering what i should do. thanks
Patrick
Old 10-30-2000, 11:52 AM
DDD

Canister

Hi Chris,
Have you seen a man who takes care of the canister?
It seems to me almost all the canisters around the world (except of California, he he) are "dead" and work like a piece of wood. If your car runs the same, forget the can.

Regards,
DDD

Old 10-30-2000, 12:30 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Canister

and i though that was supposed to stablize the pressure in the gas tank. i'm sure nissan put it there for a reason.
Dan

Originally posted by DDD
Hi Chris,
Have you seen a man who takes care of the canister?
It seems to me almost all the canisters around the world (except of California, he he) are "dead" and work like a piece of wood. If your car runs the same, forget the can.

Regards,
DDD
Old 10-31-2000, 11:00 AM

Re: off topic

Originally posted by whitymax
chris do you use your max in the winter? or do you have a **** box to drive around in, in the winter. do you have any rust on your max? by the do you live in an area where it snows? just wondering what i should do. thanks
Patrick
Well I do drive it around in the winter all the time. When it snows down here which only happens a couple of times a year I just take out the 4x4 F-250. What do you want to do to your car. Drop me an e-mail and I'll get back to you. I think that I'm gonna get a couple of pics of my car today and post them. You guys will probably be interested in this ram-air. It's awsome, but takes a lot of customizing.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed
Old 10-31-2000, 11:41 AM
DDD

Re:Re:Canister

IMHO the charcoal canister isn't destined to control pressure in the tank. The cup on the filler tube has two valves - pressure and vacuum ones. The "gap" between they adjustments defines values of the pressure/vacuum in the tank. As far as I know the stuck vacuum valve is able even to stop the engine independently of the presence/absence of the canister.
Nissan installs the canister to improve the rate of the hydrocarbon pollution and make it meet the strict Japanese and Californian pollution standards.

Regards,
DDD.

P.S. It seems to me that the road police never checks up the canister functioning. Moreover, they have't the necessary equipment. So to have the can or to throw it away depends on the car owner's "good will".

Old 10-31-2000, 12:08 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re:Re:Canister

ok i stand corrected. thanks for the 411!
Dan

Originally posted by DDD
IMHO the charcoal canister isn't destined to control pressure in the tank. The cup on the filler tube has two valves - pressure and vacuum ones. The "gap" between they adjustments defines values of the pressure/vacuum in the tank. As far as I know the stuck vacuum valve is able even to stop the engine independently of the presence/absence of the canister.
Nissan installs the canister to improve the rate of the hydrocarbon pollution and make it meet the strict Japanese and Californian pollution standards.

Regards,
DDD.

P.S. It seems to me that the road police never checks up the canister functioning. Moreover, they have't the necessary equipment. So to have the can or to throw it away depends on the car owner's "good will".