3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Dash Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 10:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dash Brake Light

My dashboard brake light has started coming on at infrequent intervals and I was wondering if this light is tied in only to the parking brake or if it somehow tied into the rest of the braking system. It seems that going around a turn causes it to turn on or off so maybe it's a loose wire but I'm looking for ideas where I should start looking. Any suggestions?

92 Maxima GXE
Pop Charger
Jacobs Electronic's Ignition system. Ultra street pro.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:24 AM

it is, its a warning that something is wrong with your brakes....when my master cylinder exploded it came on.....it came on when my alternator went out to...
Old 10-04-2001, 11:57 AM

Check your brake fluid level. On my uh... (cough) current car after I bled the brake system (the not so clever way) my master cylinder developed an internal leak in the piston seals and slowly seeped brake fluid down the firewall. There's a float inside the master cylinder reservior that's hooked up to the "brake" idiot light. Going around corners can make this float dip below the "on" point as the fluid sloshes around. This is exactly what happened to me, and I also thought it was my E-brake. Basically the light simply says "something somewhere in the brake system is wrong". I bet this is it.

PS, on another note, if it is because of leakage from cut master cylinder piston seals, I wouldn't worry about saftey, but the rate of fluid loss MAY increase slowly over time (as with me ).
Old 10-04-2001, 01:23 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the repley guys. I'll check it out this weekend. This is the second thing to go wrong with my car this week. The first is a burntout headlight but hey that's pretty darn good for a car that is getting close to 150k gotta love those Nissan's. On a side note I met a guy today who had just purchased a 300zxTT for about 10,000. I can't remember what year but man those things are SHARP. Lucky little punk! One of these day's I will own one. (We all can dream!) What happened to Nissan bringing back the 300? I thought it was supposed to come out sometime soon? From the pics I have seen of it it isn't half as good looking as the last ones they built. Whoever the old designer was they need to hire him back.
Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2001, 01:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by adamis
Thanks for the repley guys. I'll check it out this weekend. This is the second thing to go wrong with my car this week. The first is a burntout
like Bman said, it's most likely your brake fluid level being low and on turns, the fluid moves around inside the container

do it ASAP, if you wait and run the fluid all the way out, you'll have ot bleed the brakes (not hard, but not clean either) and maybe cause some damage to brake parts; all you need to do is pop the hood, look at the brake fluid and fill it up if necessary. You can get the brake fluid from any auto parts store for $5 or so.