3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Oh baby!! At long last - proud new owner of an SE 5-speed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 03:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh baby!! At long last - proud new owner of an SE 5-speed!

That's right! Not 9 hours ago today I bought a 1992 SE 5-speed! You may have formerly known me as "That 'Maxima Fanatic' guy on the forum without a car", but NO MORE!

I OWN A VE 5-SPEED!!!

After months upon months of futile searching I finally found one in good shape. I guess I was lucky too because this is only the 3rd one I've ever found! Sure it needs some touch-ups here and there, 1 fog lamp, and a couple suspension parts replaced, but overall it's really nice and won't take much work to make it almost perfect. The body has almost 0 dents in it and it's got nice silver paint. Oil changed every 5000km (ie, 3000 miles) and well cared for. The guy handed over a small hill of reciepts and tried to tell me everything he could about the car - nice guy. The best part is: absolutely NO VTC ticking noise and he says he got all the exhaust studs changed too! (no reciept but I believe him) Can you believe that?!? Engine starts smooth and purrs like a kitten on prozac Now if only he replaced the window regulators too I'd really be laughing!

This car has EVERY option on it except for CD player or Bose stereo (has a Clarion system) and has auto climate control. Both of these seem to be weird Canadian options quirks, but hey, I'm not complaining! Car has 214,000km on it, which works out to about 133,000 miles, which is kinda high up here, but seems okay to me given some of the figures you guys have. Paid $8500 for it (about $5700 US), dunno if this is high or not, but I didn't really care given the condition it's in (and cars tend to be d@mned expensive in this area anyway).

So that's what I've been doing the last 2 days. Test drove it yesterday, then took today off work to check the car's info, get the local AA to inspect it, and paid for it. Never had to buy a car before, but I bet this had to be the friendliest and most tension-free sales experience I will EVER have. Then spent the rest of the day showing it off to my friends and family who were all (rightly) wow-ed by how comfortable and luxurious the car is. My 6-foot tall friends also appreciated the back seats of course. Although I've got some work to do for it, I think I'll just spend the next several days just learning more about the car and getting used to the weird shift pattern.

Man, I gotta tell you though, what a difference it is going from a 75HP car to one with 190 horses! Only after you get to drive the car do you really get to find out about that "4000 RPM+ rush" when the VTCs kick in and the engine pulls HARD! (That kinda scared me a bit the first time! ) At least now I get to laugh maniacally that now my car is faster than my friends' cars - muhhahahahahaha!!! VE power!

Future mod plans include Mustang rims and FSTB, and maybe sway bars - nothing too wild.

So Czar, looks like I won't be buying your car after all! Heh heh. I'd also like to thank Jeff, Randy, Matt, and anyone else out there for giving me some good advice what seems like so long ago.

Ahh, life is good!

(wow, freaking late! time for beddy bye)

Peace - Brian
Old 10-06-2001, 04:09 AM

Awesome dude!!!

(I really didn't want to part ways with my old beater yet anyways) love that VE power, I am proud of you for holding out for exactly what you wanted.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:47 AM

Well it's not "exactly" what I wanted, since the debate I had earlier was whether or not to hold out for a black one, but I've got no regrets about it now!
Still havin' trouble letting reality sink in though...
Old 10-06-2001, 08:12 PM

since were on the subject of aquiring maximas,i remember the day i got mine,a 1990 se 5spd with almost twice as many miles as yours,but at the time it ran perfect and still does,almost 3 months ago to the day and im very happy,its the best car ive owned yet,im very open minded to cars but i think im maxima all the way till the day they stop makin them,best car all around you can get for the money,in terms of comfort,performance,looks,handling...there are cars there are better in every respective category,but none that are better in all that are actually afordable,anyway...glad you got what you wanted,im jealous,i want a VE,but im happy i just wanna see how fast i can get my VG 5spd with all bolt ons,hopin for mid 15's so i can just stick with my friends 2k 5spd,then i wanna move onto a 97 I30t 5spd,CONGRATS