3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 04:30 PM

Hit a deer

About two hours ago I hit a deer coming home from a high school football game. I was going about 60 but hit the brakes a split second before I hit the deer. I saw it just as I got over the top of a hill. I think the deer lifted off the the road and rode my hood until I reached a complete stop, then was thrown forward.

My bumper is cracked my drivers side headlight is destroyed and drivers fog light looks broken pretty bad, but still lights up. the hood is bent upwards quite a bit. The radiator was pushed forward and was leaking some anti-freeze. I'll get pictures when my dad gets back with his digital camera sometime tomorrow or monday.

I don't know yet if the car will be able to be fixed well, if I will part it out, or what. I didn't have insurance for deer collision. My dad will make most of the decisions, as he owns the car.

I don't really have any questions or requests, just thought it is something I should tell all of you about.
Old 10-06-2001, 06:36 PM

what happened to the deer?
Old 10-06-2001, 07:47 PM

Re: Hit a deer

Dude, that is scary.. Glad to see you are okay. I almost hit a deer once. It just jumped out of the way at the last second. My life flashed before my eyes. I thought I was a gonner.

My friend hit a deer at 45 MPH with one of those older (early 80s) american car and it took out the whole quarter side of his car! It killed the deer in this case.

I hope your car is not damaged too badly but those animals are huge and your speed was pretty fast. I am not sure if it is worth it to repair. There is a good chance the insurance company is going to declare it totaled.

Let us know what happened.. We could all use some parts if you choose that route.

Originally posted by Mwb90SE
About two hours ago I hit a deer coming home from a high school football game. I was going about 60 but hit the brakes a split second before I hit the deer. I saw it just as I got over the top of a hill. I think the deer lifted off the the road and rode my hood until I reached a complete stop, then was thrown forward.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:39 PM

The deer died probabally at the moment I hit it. It was a small fawn and just ended up in the road. I dragged it to the shoulder with the help of a neighbor. I'm not sure insurance will get very involved as the coverage was liability only.

Tomorrow I have to go to the sherrif's department to fill out a report (they couldn't respond to the accident, they only had one patrolcar for the county at the time) and my dad will evaluate it. I truthfully doubt it is fixable for a reasonable price. I'll have pics tomorrow or monday as well. Thanks alot you guys.
Old 10-07-2001, 01:14 PM

Re: Hit a deer

aw i'm sorry to hear about your car...i hope you can get it fixed! maybe the best thing to do is to trash it and get a better Max

easier said than done, huh? but the important thing is that YOU ARE OKAY!!!

~Bernadette
Old 10-07-2001, 02:58 PM

I'd like another Maxima, they're great. Our family owns 2 already (My Mom has a '95 GLE). But foreign cars seem to be really rare in this area, there's probabally a top of about 20 maximas within 25 miles of our town.
Old 10-07-2001, 03:52 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I wish that was true for ny

there's probabally a top of about 20 maximas within 25 miles of our town.
Im running out of ideas on how to stay original, well actually not running out of ideas just running out of cheap Ideas and $$.

But that does suck if you do part it out I need a fender for my new max
Old 10-07-2001, 07:37 PM

Pics

I took 15 pictures of the car and put them on my web server at http://mwb.myip.org . Fair warning: You can see the blood and hair of the deer on a few of the pictures, so if that bothers you it would probabally be a bad idea to look at them. Tell me what you think of the damage. It hasn't been decided what the fate of the car will be, but I will keep you posted.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:00 PM

Re: Pics

You are very lucky.. The damage looks minimal.. You should have seen what it did to my friend's car.

I think it is definitely repairable.

I took 15 pictures of the car and put them on my web server at http://mwb.myip.org . Fair warning: You can see the blood and hair of the deer on a few of the pictures, so if that bothers you it would probabally be a bad idea to look at them. Tell me what you think of the damage. It hasn't been decided what the fate of the car will be, but I will keep you posted.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:25 AM

not too much to get it fixed

a new bumper is about 120.00 - braces for it are 12 bucks a peice. new corner lights maybe 50. - a grill. if needed. another 50. new headlights under hundred for both..and new hood under 200. I would just get it fixed. a new radiator is another hundred. It is all under 1000 even to get it paineted. You can just get it running then do peice by peice. That is what I ahve found. Nissan stands behind this car - quoting it the most reliable engine since....
Old 10-08-2001, 01:28 PM

Well so far the opinion seems to be that I fix it. I really hope thats what happens. It's right now at a freind's house (the friend has a body shop), so that he can evaluate the damage.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:47 PM

a good friend i hope

just make sure. i know a web page that has nissan body parts marked down. don't pay more than 120 for a bumper..and not more than 175 for hood unless you do and surf the web AND ebay. just type in 'mnissan maxima' and you get 8 pages of different various things for maximas from 87 to current.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:04 PM

Re: a good friend i hope

Do not tease us.. What web site are you talking about?

Originally posted by Jupiternaus
just make sure. i know a web page that has nissan body parts marked down. don't pay more than 120 for a bumper..and not more than 175 for hood unless you do and surf the web AND ebay. just type in 'mnissan maxima' and you get 8 pages of different various things for maximas from 87 to current.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:52 PM

wow!!

Sorry to hear about your accident. Get your max up and running again. Try this web site for cheap parts...
http://www.autobodypartsonline.com/c....html?catid=49

Goodluck,
Kevin
Old 10-09-2001, 06:18 AM

thats the link

the exact one i was referring too. take it and run.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:51 AM

That's the place I ordered a bumper reinforcer and a bumper cover
from when I tried pushing a Jeep Cherokee with my '93 GXE. Got the
"pre-primed" bumper cover (they're a bear to get paint to stick to)
and the reinforcent bar for around $100 but shipping ran me $60.

Still, I think it was cheaper than most places even with the
shipping. I was skeptical of the place at first because their
prices are so cheap, but now I'm am going to place an order for
some parts for my '87 Toyota pickup since I know they are legit.
Not sure I would order a hood from them only because I'd be afraid
it'd get damaged in transit...

I managed to pick up a headlight for $40 on Ebay; might take a look
at what is available there for stuff you need.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:34 AM

The pictures don't show all of the damage, and to the parts you guys mention we must add labor in getting them painted / installed.

How about this idea: Pick up a fairly cheap 3rd gen (~$1500) and using it as a parts car. As soon as I have fixed my car completly I would part it out here on the board to recover some of the cost. The way things are looking even without parting the second car out it would be cheaper to go the parts car route than locating and buying used parts.

-Mwb90SE
Old 10-11-2001, 06:46 AM

JUST SAW THE PICS OF CAR

does not look that bad at all. you can get the bumper fixed without replacing the bumper cover!!! so all it looks like all you need it

headlights less than a hundred
hood less than two hundred

radiator ONE HUNDRED
and fron frame peice junk yard - one hundred or less
and a grill 55.

all this can cost under 500 hundred. the damage is not as bad as i thought it might be..and i can see how... when you wreck from the front to a hard variable... than it f*** up your car. everything from frame, body, and even the left/right control arms... you just have slight damage done on the higher part of the car..you don't have to replace everytrhing front end - be happy =0.A hood..justy call junk yards..that will be the only wway to get it for 5-75... eveything else..ebay and th web link referred in past post... then your set yo!