3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Speedo jumps wildly...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 05:22 PM

Speedo jumps wildly...help!

Some more help..please. My speedo jumps erratically at times..bouncing from 30 to 60 MPH..and at low speeds, buzzing away crazily as it oscillates and whacks the needle stop.

Is this a speedo problem or is it the speed sensor in the tranny?

Hoping for the tranny..so much easier to get at!!

Thanks..
Old 10-08-2001, 06:08 PM

wow i thought my friend was the only one with this problem. it appears that the guages in his 87 turbo volvo are crazy, i think i have a video of it somewhere, its really funny, they bounce all over the play uncontrolably. i have no idea whats wrong with it though sorry
Old 10-08-2001, 08:35 PM

It is the speedo unit. You can take it out and resolder all the joints on the PCB or get another set from the wreckers.

Brent.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:36 AM

Brent, Thanks for the tip. What's the cause..? Sounds like a bad connection to the PCB..? So, the problem is not a bad speedo movement..just a bad connection? How hard is it to take apart the dash and get the unit out? I have the shop manual but have not studied it for this yet..
Old 10-09-2001, 05:00 AM

I Think the exact same thing happened to my mom several years ago with the 90SE. Dealer fixed it with a new Speedo Head (?) (recalling part name from memory, could be wrong). I can dig up the reciept for the repair if anyone needs it.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Mwb90SE
I Think the exact same thing happened to my mom several years ago with the 90SE. Dealer fixed it with a new Speedo Head (?) (recalling part name from memory, could be wrong). I can dig up the reciept for the repair if anyone needs it.
MWB90se..I'd appreciate any info you can supply..Thanks..
Old 10-09-2001, 08:40 AM

speedo dies when wet

i have the same problem with the speedo dying, but its only when its cold and wet, or just really wet. i have a 90 gxe (96k), its been doing this for about 2 years now
Old 10-09-2001, 09:08 AM

my 94 GXE bounces at random times too. Its been doing it since the car was near new but I could never get it to do it when the dealer was looking so I never bothered getting it fixed. Sometimes it randomly jumps up +10/15 mph and sometimes it works just fine.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:09 AM

that happened in my prelude and a mechanic friend of mine told me it wsa the speedo cable. i'm not sure how maximas gauges work if they're electronic or cable driven. anyway he told me to put vaseline on the ends of the cable and wash it down with wd-40 or replace the cable. being a cheap *** i did the vaseline and wd it worked till i sold it. just my experience i'm not telling you to do this
Old 10-09-2001, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by 90maxse forever
Brent, Thanks for the tip. What's the cause..? Sounds like a bad connection to the PCB..? So, the problem is not a bad speedo movement..just a bad connection? How hard is it to take apart the dash and get the unit out? I have the shop manual but have not studied it for this yet..
They get dry joints around the micro for the speedo unit. The micro converts the DC signal it gets from the speed sensor and provides the outputs for other devices liek the ECU and cruise control and so forth.

The unit is easy to get out, I have taken it out, resoldered the joints and replace in under 2 hours. That worked for about 2 years, then I had to replace the speedo unit.

Remove all your centre console trim, the around the steering column (optional - but makes the job easier), the main dash trim then you should see the gauges which are held in with 4 screws. Unscrew and unplug the harnesses. (They only connect into their socket so don't worry about remembering where they go)

Remove the front clear housing of the gauges and then the black trim and then the white trim (it might be the other way around, but you'll see what I mean. The speedo unit is held in by 4 (maybe 5 screws) in the centre and perhaps 1 at the centre top. Unscrew, and slowly pull the speedo unit out. You'll see the PCB and then resolder all connections and then reassemble.

Brent.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:16 PM

Wow, you guys are all going about it the hard way. Your problem is the Speed Sensor. It is located under the oil filter near the firewall. It looks like a little metal cylinder with a black rubber piece on top. It is common for this unit to fail (replaced it twice on my old 89' Max). Look to see if the rubber piece has popped up. This indicates that the speed sensor is bad. It works on vacuum pressure, so if the rubber popped up, the seal is broken. A new Speed sensor costs about $100.00 to replace. For now, you can just push the rubber piece back in. That should stop the erratic movements temporarily.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by NightRider
Wow, you guys are all going about it the hard way. Your problem is the Speed Sensor. It is located under the oil filter near the firewall. It looks like a little metal cylinder with a black rubber piece on top. It is common for this unit to fail (replaced it twice on my old 89' Max). Look to see if the rubber piece has popped up. This indicates that the speed sensor is bad. It works on vacuum pressure, so if the rubber popped up, the seal is broken. A new Speed sensor costs about $100.00 to replace. For now, you can just push the rubber piece back in. That should stop the erratic movements temporarily.
Hmmm, a sensor working on vacuum pressure. I've only ever seen electrical or cable driven. Are you sure it was vacuum operated? I know for sure mine is electrical but it is a JDM version, I don't know too much about US models.

Brent.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by NightRider
Nighrider..I have looked at my speed sensor. In fact, I took it out to inpsect! It has an electrical connection at the top, is held in with a ring that bolts down next to it, and has gear teeth that get driven by another gear in the tranny. Does this sound like your unit..? I have a 90 SE..US version..May mfg'g date..Regards,90max se forever