3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with a 1991 Nissan Maxima (headlight)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 06:14 PM

Help with a 1991 Nissan Maxima (headlight)

I have noticed that the headlight of most Nissan Maxima's (the generation that look like the one I own) have the same problem, the left headlight doesn't work, where as the right one works fine.

I'm wondering if this is a general problem prone to my generation of maxima's.

I have of course tried to change bulbs (have the correct one, have the correct battery type as well) and tried to ensure the wires were not loose. I have also tried to change the fuse under the steering wheel - but have no tried the ones under the hood.

Thanks in Advance

John-e
Old 10-17-2001, 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Help with a 1991 Nissan Maxima (headlight)

Originally posted by Aphrodisiac
I have noticed that the headlight of most Nissan Maxima's (the generation that look like the one I own) have the same problem, the left headlight doesn't work, where as the right one works fine.

I'm wondering if this is a general problem prone to my generation of maxima's.

I have of course tried to change bulbs (have the correct one, have the correct battery type as well) and tried to ensure the wires were not loose. I have also tried to change the fuse under the steering wheel - but have no tried the ones under the hood.

Thanks in Advance

John-e
Hello John-e

I had similar problem and the fix is to replace the daytime module,,cost about 120 can$$ + lab + tax blah...blah

hope this helps ya.

MaxxedOut
Old 10-17-2001, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: Help with a 1991 Nissan Maxima (headlight)

Originally posted by MaxxedOut

Hello John-e

I had similar problem and the fix is to replace the daytime module,,cost about 120 can$$ + lab + tax blah...blah

hope this helps ya.

MaxxedOut
Boogers... 120$ good thing you said CND, I was about to convert it (I'm canadian too) Thanks alot for replying I was hoping it was just a wire I had to change.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:24 AM

I had the same thing but mine was just a burned out (inside) plug. The one that connects the bulb to the harness had melted and was causing the light not to come on. You might try to pull it to see if you are getting power to it. i tried wverything until i just pulled it and looked in the plug itself. Good luck, charles
Old 10-17-2001, 11:46 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by gotmilk2000
I had the same thing but mine was just a burned out (inside) plug.
yup that just happen to mine....just go to Trak Auto and buy another 9004 harness, splice the OEM wires with the new harness and be done with it.
if it were the entire switch mechanism(which costs about $120 to fix) both lights wouldn't work, so most likely its just the left headlight harness should be about $5 or so at Trank Auto.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

yup that just happen to mine....just go to Trak Auto and buy another 9004 harness, splice the OEM wires with the new harness and be done with it.
if it were the entire switch mechanism(which costs about $120 to fix) both lights wouldn't work, so most likely its just the left headlight harness should be about $5 or so at Trank Auto.
I'm gonna try that tomorrow, but instead I think I'm gonna try to get a voltameter to check if I'm getting a current.
Is there any tell tale signs such as burn marks on the connectors?

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 10-18-2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by gotmilk2000
I had the same thing but mine was just a burned out (inside) plug. The one that connects the bulb to the harness had melted and was causing the light not to come on. You might try to pull it to see if you are getting power to it. i tried wverything until i just pulled it and looked in the plug itself. Good luck, charles
Hey I was wondering if you knew which was the negative/positive/ground wire?
Old 10-18-2001, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey I was wondering if you knew which was the negative/positive/ground wire?
one each headlight connector, there are 3 wires, 2 red and 1 black

the black is ground for both high and low beam
the outer red wire is power (+ voltage) for high beam
red middle wire is power (+ voltage) for low beam

same for both sides, but the red wires do have different colored traces on them, but the position should still be right
Old 10-18-2001, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

one each headlight connector, there are 3 wires, 2 red and 1 black

the black is ground for both high and low beam
the outer red wire is power (+ voltage) for high beam
red middle wire is power (+ voltage) for low beam

same for both sides, but the red wires do have different colored traces on them, but the position should still be right
Thanks for the rapid response
Old 10-19-2001, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the rapid response
Argh replaced the 9004 socket/harness and it didn't work! I gotta get my hands on a voltage meter to see if I'm getting a current one of these days.
Old 10-19-2001, 07:28 PM

I narrowed it down to the wire/switch

Again I'm no electician or mechanic but I managed to figure out that the problem lies within the wire, it must be fried.

or it may be the switch that turns on the light

things I've checked
  • Fuses under the hood, the 15Amps are fine
  • the light bulbs are all new, 9004 - even tested left side with right side (working side)
  • tried to directly hook up wires to bulb itself (last resort) without the harness/socket

I bought a new harness/socket from nissan (last resort again) and when I installed it and it didn't work I got ****ed and tried to shove them in on the other side, and it worked. so it's not the new harness/socket's fault.

Now my question to you guys

Anyone know what I can do? I'd rather not goto a mechanic and pay 80$ to just check out my elec system and then an additional charge for fixing it.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: I narrowed it down to the wire/switch

Again I'm no electician or mechanic but I managed to figure out that the problem lies within the wire, it must be fried.

or it may be the switch that turns on the light

things I've checked
  • Fuses under the hood, the 15Amps are fine
  • the light bulbs are all new, 9004 - even tested left side with right side (working side)
  • tried to directly hook up wires to bulb itself (last resort) without the harness/socket

I bought a new harness/socket from nissan (last resort again) and when I installed it and it didn't work I got ****ed and tried to shove them in on the other side, and it worked. so it's not the new harness/socket's fault.

Now my question to you guys

Anyone know what I can do? I'd rather not goto a mechanic and pay 80$ to just check out my elec system and then an additional charge for fixing it.
I am having a different prob wiith my max which is a nightmare compared to yours so I understand the fustration.

Here are some things I did b4 i had the module replaced.

To confirm that the module or main switch on left side drivers wheel is the culprit:

- Start car, foot on brake and select drive then back to netural to engage the daytime circurt. Leave engine running apply handbrake and chk head lights. If u only have the one on Its either the module/ switch/ the daytime module supplies low voltage to the lights for daytime operation.

I even went so far as to bypass the module so that the light would work so got positive confirm that the module was bad. Be careful doing this as u can burn somethin out. Hope this gives u some clues
Old 10-20-2001, 01:34 PM

Re: Re: I narrowed it down to the wire/switch

Originally posted by MaxxedOut

I am having a different prob wiith my max which is a nightmare compared to yours so I understand the fustration.

Here are some things I did b4 i had the module replaced.

To confirm that the module or main switch on left side drivers wheel is the culprit:

- Start car, foot on brake and select drive then back to netural to engage the daytime circurt. Leave engine running apply handbrake and chk head lights. If u only have the one on Its either the module/ switch/ the daytime module supplies low voltage to the lights for daytime operation.

I even went so far as to bypass the module so that the light would work so got positive confirm that the module was bad. Be careful doing this as u can burn somethin out. Hope this gives u some clues

Hrmm well no lights come on I'm starting to think I have serious electrical problems. I dont know.

Anyway here is some information about my lights

I have two headlights, and two side lights, and two blinkers. (fromt)
(side lights are attached to the headlight except its on the side)

I have a switch which turns on the lights on the left side of the steering wheel (it's also the left/right blinker)

There are three settings, off/"light"/"more light" (I dont know the exact names)
  • On off, everything is off
  • On light, only the side lights are on
  • On more light, everything is on except for the driver headlight

I tried what you suggested with the switch on off and light
and the daylight lights didn't come on or I can't see it at all. I tried putting my face on it and blocking the sun with my hands beside my face.

BAH! I feel like wiring an extension/split off of the passenger headlight and hooking it up to the driver side!