3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

WTF? v. broken ss brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

WTF? v. broken ss brake lines?

I was coming home from the store this morning(came home with a gallon of milk),turn the corner onto my road and noticed my brake pedal heading toward the floor as i turned. So i limped home,jacked it up to bleed the lines again ( replaced m/s a few days earlier,so i thought maybe air in the lines).

But instead i found this:

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...t=MVI_1983.flv

Both front lines developed pin hole leaks,why i have no idea? They have been on the car since January of this year.

The purchased the lines from: http://www.magnumbrakes.com/ They have a lifetime warranty,so i called them up,and they are going to send me replacements.

Last edited by Greeny; 10-05-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM

shes a squirter
Old 10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

brb after I go go the bathroom. Odd that both lines have leaks in the same place. Rubbing anywhere?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
brb after I go go the bathroom.

Odd that both lines have leaks in the same place. Rubbing anywhere?
Nope,no sign of rubbing at all.

Weird
Old 10-05-2007, 04:21 PM
98 SE

What's the likelihood of the same manufacturing defect for both lines? Either they had/have a quality control problem or you are likely to have a repeat failure due to your installation or braking patterns. Unless you really kinked the lines during installation or driving, I'd be concerned about putting another set of their lines on my car. Brake petal to the floor is never good!
Old 10-05-2007, 04:36 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
What's the likelihood of the same manufacturing defect for both lines? Either they had/have a quality control problem or you are likely to have a repeat failure due to your installation or braking patterns. , I'd be concerned about putting another set of their lines on my car. Brake petal to the floor is never good!
I thought about that,I'm thinking about leaving my old oem lines on there now.

Unless you really kinked the lines during installation or driving
Well,they have been on the car for 9 months now,so if done something to them on install(which i don't think i did),then i should have reared it's ugly head long ago,I would think.though I am quite rough on brakes(driving) sometimes.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM

Interesting.... Seeing as I was just pricing some SS lines
Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I miss my VE

Wow, maybe somebodies after you
Old 10-05-2007, 08:33 PM

has ur wife taken out a large life insurance policy on you lately?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM
I can has?

hah, reminds me of a time when I went out and found my GXE's passenger side lug nuts had all been loosened to finger tight overnight...

I was livid.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94

So that's how you got mod, IBsuckingup
Old 10-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Didnt someone recently post about the same problem with their SS lines?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:49 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Wow, maybe somebodies after you
They were fine until i turned the corner,so i dunno?

Originally Posted by gapboi210
has ur wife taken out a large life insurance policy on you lately?
This is entirely not possible.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
So that's how you got mod, IBsuckingup

Originally Posted by BlooToof

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=537989
Old 10-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

Yeah...I'll be honest that looks like foul play to me. I've never heard of that EVER happening before. A needle would make that happen pretty easily...the only thing that doesn't add up is the time frame. How could it be fine untill you get to the store. The only thing I'd say is that the master cyl was full and you didn't notice because of the very slow leak, then enough pumped out and dripped out while at the store that the master finally ran out while driving home. Air got in the lines...and it was over from then on. Thats just my theory though.....either way, foul play indeed.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by traxtar944
Yeah...I'll be honest that looks like foul play to me. I've never heard of that EVER happening before.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=537989

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=327201

^^^^^
Read post #10 by irish44

A needle would make that happen pretty easily...the only thing that doesn't add up is the time frame. How could it be fine untill you get to the store. The only thing I'd say is that the master cyl was full and you didn't notice because of the very slow leak, then enough pumped out and dripped out while at the store that the master finally ran out while driving home. Air got in the lines...and it was over from then on. Thats just my theory though.....either way, foul play indeed.

Haha! you guys watch too much TV,I don't play into the conspiracy theory thing,the brakes were hard as a rock until the i turned onto my road. IMHO if someone cut or punctured my lines,they would have started leaking well before i got onto my road,as i just drove approx. 10 miles with plenty of hard brake usage within that time frame,like i said above,I'm not easy on my brakes when i drive.

Also,i had been driving with a bad master cylinder for about a month prior to replacing it a few days before the lines broke,Honestly i missed having my good brakes so much,i was being kinda rough on the brakes after the m/c replacement.

I'm chalking this up to defective ss lines.

I have also decided not to put ss lines on the front brakes,OEM rubber lines from now on.

Last edited by Greeny; 10-06-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:59 PM

yeah I'd get some OEM lines and flowers for your girl.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by gapboi210
yeah I'd get some OEM lines
OEM lines were back on it the day it happened.

and flowers for your girl.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:13 PM
mod or sell?

are the lines DOT certified?
if they aren't then sue the **** out of them.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

mad strong master cylinder eh?

just kidding, i was actually in crossville...saw YourGreenMax94 and decided to take some of your super dot66 brake fluid with my heroin needle....sorry i made it leak! was just trying to find your secret recipe, is all.

that is kind of weird though, especially for 2 to go at the same time. :sue: ;x
Old 10-06-2007, 08:29 PM
retired moderator

And in other news....

I've actually been using ss lines for over a year with my z32 setup

What I was saying in that thread, though, was not that SS lines are dangerous per se. They are no more dangerous than any other rubber lines if maintained correctly. Rubber lines are great for people who NEVER look at their suspension/brakes, never check for rubbing, etc.

Me....hell, my wheels are off every couple weeks doing something or other....and I ALWAYS check the lines for wear/rubbing. And I always make sure the clips to the struts are attached.

I have the SS lines on for more pedal feel, and I maintain them.

For most people....SS lines aren't the best idea IMO, since "most" people don't check out their lines regularly.

Another good idea is to go with lines that have a rubber/plastic tubing coating over the braid, so if they do rub it won't chafe the steel braiding. My z32 setup (technafit) lines don't have it. The lines for my Wilwoods about to be installed DO have it...

Bottom line: if you check your lines regularly, ss lines are not a problem. But if you don't, then stick with OEM. Your life may actully depend on it.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:31 PM
retired moderator

btw, I'm gonna have to agree with some of the above posts though...both with pinhole leaks at the same time in th same location? Seems fishy and extremely unlikely to happen on its own.

the SS line failures I've heard of in the past were generally at or near where the line goes into the end fittings, where they kink/chafe....can't recall seeing ones with a pinhole leak like that though
Old 10-07-2007, 02:02 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
are the lines DOT certified?
if they aren't then sue the **** out of them.
I will check into this,thank you.

Originally Posted by irish44j
And in other news....

What I was saying in that thread, though, was not that SS lines are dangerous per se. They are no more dangerous than any other rubber lines if maintained correctly. Rubber lines are great for people who NEVER look at their suspension/brakes, never check for rubbing, etc.

Me....hell, my wheels are off every couple weeks doing something or other....and I ALWAYS check the lines for wear/rubbing. And I always make sure the clips to the struts are attached.

For most people....SS lines aren't the best idea IMO, since "most" people don't check out their lines regularly.
My wheels have been off the car countless times since i installed the lines in january of this year,and yes i did actually inspected the lines on several of these occasions,they looked fine,no rubbing/deformities or any other signs of abnormal wear.

Another good idea is to go with lines that have a rubber/plastic tubing coating over the braid, so if they do rub it won't chafe the steel braiding. My z32 setup (technafit) lines don't have it. The lines for my Wilwoods about to be installed DO have it...
The magnum lines also have the rubber/plastic tubing coating on the steel braiding.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:12 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

btw, I'm gonna have to agree with some of the above posts though...both with pinhole leaks at the same time in th same location? Seems fishy and extremely unlikely to happen on its own.

the SS line failures I've heard of in the past were generally at or near where the line goes into the end fittings, where they kink/chafe....can't recall seeing ones with a pinhole leak like that though
Again,I'm not buying into the "sabatage" theory folks.I have no local enemies(pretty much keep to myself) As for an internet enemy,well the only one i can think of atm doesn't have the ***** to do anything like this.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:17 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Again,I'm not buying into the "sabatage" theory folks.I have no local enemies(pretty much keep to myself) As for an internet enemy,well the only one i can think of atm doesn't have the ***** to do anything like this.
do you ever sleep?.. do I?

yeah i'm not sure what to think about that. For both of them to have failed at the moment you turned... it's just strange. They both worked fine until you turned, and both failed after you turned? It's almost as if time stopped and someone poked them then unfroze time, you know? Becuase for two parts of the car on opposite sides of the car to fail at the SAME MOMENT... totally freaky. But i agree that anything had to have happened during the trip, not beforehand.

plus you got to think that they were both on the same side relative to the rotation of the car.. not both in front, not both in back. so it could have been due to the turn that one broke on the front and the other on the back. and not in the exact same position either. Ionno dude. All i know is that my brakes still suck.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-07-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:58 AM
retired moderator

it doesn't mean you have "enemies" though......some people are "vandals" or whatever. All it takes is for someone to think you parked too close to them, or to envy your ride, or whatever.

I mean, my car has been keyed a few times...not by "enemies" who know me personally, just by some a-hole in a parking lot who doesn't know me at all probably.

But as they say - if you rule out every other possibility, the possibility that remains- no matter how unlikely - is usually the solution (paraphrase).

Unless you are one unlucky ****, I can't see how both lines could break at the very same time The only other thing I can think of is sabotage.

other questions:
- been through an automated carwash recently? Perhaps the guide rails caught something?
- perhaps you ran over some debris and by a stroke of bad luck it got both lines and slit them?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:46 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

it doesn't mean you have "enemies" though......some people are "vandals" or whatever. All it takes is for someone to think you parked too close to them, or to envy your ride, or whatever.

I mean, my car has been keyed a few times...not by "enemies" who know me personally, just by some a-hole in a parking lot who doesn't know me at all probably.

But as they say - if you rule out every other possibility, the possibility that remains- no matter how unlikely - is usually the solution (paraphrase).

Unless you are one unlucky ****, I can't see how both lines could break at the very same time The only other thing I can think of is sabotage.

other questions:
- been through an automated carwash recently? Perhaps the guide rails caught something?
- perhaps you ran over some debris and by a stroke of bad luck it got both lines and slit them?

Yeah,i get what you mean by the vandals thing, though it's possible, my car is really a chipped/dented piece of $hit. I was in the store for maybe 5-8 minutes tops,and the parking lot was full of people,so i don't really think anyone would take the time crawl under my car to poke holes in the lines(especially as low as it is),if anyone did I would speculate they should have started leaking immediately,not 10 miles later.

As far as someone vandalizing my car at my house,they would have to be slick to get away with it,as all my across the street neighbors have a perfect view of my house,not to mention they would have to be extremely quiet to not alert my 4 dogs(2 of them being Dobermans) to any noises.

Personally,I think the magnum lines i bought have some sort of defect at the exact same point,hence the leaks being close to the same areas on the hoses.

Can you recommend some better quality ss lines josh?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM
retired moderator

I would look into Goodridge lines. IDK if they make your application, but they're probably the biggest company making SS lines out there, and the best-known.

I've been using the Technafit lines for a while and they seem fine to me too.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 PM
mod or sell?

Goodridge makes on a demand basis for the 3rd gen.
they don't keep them ready made in stock

http://www.affsales.com/dsp_part_det...it&vaffid=1001
Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I would look into Goodridge lines. IDK if they make your application, but they're probably the biggest company making SS lines out there, and the best-known.

I've been using the Technafit lines for a while and they seem fine to me too.
Thanks.

According to tire rack, Goodridge does make lines for my car so i may go with them,but i am also considering new nissan oem lines, meh soo many choices.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...rand=Goodridge
Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

my car is really a chipped/dented piece of $hit.
eek then what is my car?

I have never used SS lines, but if you are concerned about piece of mind at this point, OEM is your best option. If all you still care about is raw performance, then you know what to do. Just a matter of priorities.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

hey hey, i do have *****

as it turns out, i think i installed my SS lines 1 week before yours went out....don't remember my brand but they have the acrylic (?) coating on the outside, and are free-moving without kinks or rubs ATM.

sabotage? i think not, would be hard to get a needle in there anyways, i'm sure....plus, people smart enough to pull it off wouldn't be doing that crap in the first place.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Would be lost w/out the org

I really don't think that someone's trying to sabotoge you, but it's wierd.....you can't deny that. My SS lines from blehm are working without a hitch so far. I had to bend the clips a little to make sure they were in there tight. I think I also read that on the forums, too.

Again on my first comment, I really have never seen little pin-holes like that in two lines at the same time. I would think that based on the physics of the situation, one would develop a hole and then the pressure wouldn't be able to go higher than the pressure that created that hole...or the hole would just keep increasing in size to accomodate a greater flow before another hole developed in a separate line. This is especially true since it seems like alot of your fluid was lost while in the parking lot, and your pedal instantly fell to the floor at a random point in time. Make sense?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:01 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I really don't think that someone's trying to sabotoge you, but it's wierd.....you can't deny that. My SS lines from blehm are working without a hitch so far. I had to bend the clips a little to make sure they were in there tight. I think I also read that on the forums, too.

Again on my first comment, I really have never seen little pin-holes like that in two lines at the same time. I would think that based on the physics of the situation, one would develop a hole and then the pressure wouldn't be able to go higher than the pressure that created that hole...or the hole would just keep increasing in size to accomodate a greater flow before another hole developed in a separate line. This is especially true since it seems like alot of your fluid was lost while in the parking lot, and your pedal instantly fell to the floor at a random point in time. Make sense?
The video was shot in my driveway after i got home,the brake pedal pressure was fine up until approx. 1 mile from my house.

Trust me,i does seem to me that both broke at the same time,but I'm not even sure that happened,I did attempt to pump the pedal pressure back up a few times before i got to my house,but it(the pedal pressure) seemed to just get worse as i went along. So the second line may have broken in that process.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

just chalk it up to be a defect in the product.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by DanNY
just chalk it up to be a defect in the product.
Yeah,I already have come to that conclusion,right now I'm trying to get the distributor to refund my $$ on the lines,instead of just sending me replacement lines,umm..no..I simply don't trust their product anymore.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM
helps

well asking around my the local garages here alot of ss lines have been outlawed from there shops due to them randomly exploding. They said it was from excessive temperature changes causing the ss to cut the line. whether its true or not i do not know.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
mod or sell?

the lines if they are DOT certified are legal anywhere in the US.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the lines if they are DOT certified are legal anywhere in the US.
Oh,btw..the magnums are DOT certified lines according to the distributors website
Old 10-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
yeah, i think that was me.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
mod or sell?

Oh,btw..the magnums are DOT certified lines according to the distributors website
legal =/= quality

did they agree to refund you yet?

Quick Reply: WTF? v. broken ss brake lines?