3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Dash Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dash Bulbs

So I took apart my switch panel, the one by the steering wheel with the fog switch etc. and saw they all have bulbs in them. Well mine must all be burned out except the defroster one. Where can i get replacement bulbs and what size/number/type of bulbs are these. Of course there very small and i could go to the JY and get some but those could be burned out too, so any good ideas? Thanks.

O and i dont want to go the LED route, seems like too much work and etc but it is cool.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Mine were mostly burned out also untill about a year ago. Auto Zone didn't have ones that small, so I ordered them online. Can't quite remember the size, but I would still highly recommend the LEDs, as they have a lifespan several times that of an incandescent bulb. Installing LED bulbs in the dash is no harder than the stock bulbs. You just have to watch the polarity. If they don't work, just turn them around. I think I got them at superlumination.com, but I can't be sure.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
mod or sell?

radio shack has the little bulbs IIRC.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 PM

The cruise control switch look s like the bulb is soddered in or something. I could not figure out how to get it out.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
The cruise control switch look s like the bulb is soddered in or something. I could not figure out how to get it out.
Yeah, there's a little disassembling required for the cruise control, hazard, and some other buttons, but it ain't that hard, as long as you have about 20 minutes of spare time. Just take off the plastic base of a dash bulb or LED and solder the bulb into the appropriate metal prongs.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 PM

Alright thanks so far, and also i took apart the fog switch and that bulb is like attachted to a small rubber like rectangular piece that fits into two prongs. Can i buy that light fixture thing at radioshack or wat?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Deridex
Yeah, there's a little disassembling required for the cruise control, hazard, and some other buttons, but it ain't that hard, as long as you have about 20 minutes of spare time. Just take off the plastic base of a dash bulb or LED and solder the bulb into the appropriate metal prongs.
my hazard switch doesn't even have enough wires at the harness to have illumination. I looked on the FSM and I have one wire less than what it says on there.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 PM

That's odd, mine lights up. as for the cruise control switch, I took mine apart and there was a spring and what looked like a little ball bearing. I could not get it back together. I got everything where it looked like it would go but it never worked right. Went to the JY and got another.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

That's odd, mine lights up. as for the cruise control switch, I took mine apart and there was a spring and what looked like a little ball bearing. I could not get it back together. I got everything where it looked like it would go but it never worked right. Went to the JY and got another.
does your hazard light harness have 8 wires or just 7? mine only has 7. the switch itself has 8 though.

also has anyone else noticed that you can't see a SINGLE one of those switches while driving or is that just a byproduct of my seat position? I can't see mirror switch, cruise, (blank spot for fog), illimination, rear defrost, or hazard unless i crane my neck around the wheel or for rear defrost, click the wiper stalk down one.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-08-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I've tried radioshag and those morons that work there dont know jack, they said they didnt have any...I checked and they had 1-2 options but neither worked. I tried dealership and they dont sell the bulb alone, they want you to buy each switch. Power mirror/defroster switch is like $86 IIRC, bla LEDs here I come (this thursday)
Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 AM
mod or sell?

if someone does a search on here you'll find the radio shack part #
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM

I took one of those bulbs to Stealership because i needed like 6 or 7 of them and they guy says not sure if we still have them but let me check so i was ok. Took him like 20 minutes brings a back that is like 6 by 9 and 1 lil bulb that i needed. So i was like thats the only one u got he said yea and i thought in my head how much can a bulb like this cost. so i take out few dollars just incase he says 7.85 i was like for what????? For the bulb i was like are u serious i and he is like yea i was like no thank you. Then i went to junkyard and got like 10 of them 3 of them didnt work. So thats how i got mine.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 PM

i didnt even know hazard switch had a bulb in it..... lol ill take it apart today and see what i can do......
Old 10-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 92gxe/cg2
Alright thanks so far, and also i took apart the fog switch and that bulb is like attachted to a small rubber like rectangular piece that fits into two prongs. Can i buy that light fixture thing at radioshack or wat?
Nawh, I don't think they sell the whole thing there, so hold on to the rubber part. It's the same lil bulb as all other small dash lights, just with a different base. Just take one of them bulbs out of the plastic base (careful not to rip off the thin wires) and put it into that rubber base, just like the one it had originally.

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
my hazard switch doesn't even have enough wires at the harness to have illumination. I looked on the FSM and I have one wire less than what it says on there.
Maybe it depends on a year, I have a '94 GXE. But I would think they all should be pretty much the same. Besides it's just common sense that of all the buttons, the hazard one should be illuminated.

Yeah, it's kind of a delicate process, which is why I said you might need 20 minutes, since it's probably gonna get messed up the first time you put it together. And you gotta watch out for the little springs when you're taking a button apart. They'll jump right out if you do it too fast.

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
does your hazard light harness have 8 wires or just 7? mine only has 7. the switch itself has 8 though.

also has anyone else noticed that you can't see a SINGLE one of those switches while driving or is that just a byproduct of my seat position? I can't see mirror switch, cruise, (blank spot for fog), illimination, rear defrost, or hazard unless i crane my neck around the wheel or for rear defrost, click the wiper stalk down one.
Yeah, same story with mine. It kinda pissed me off at first, since I paid like 20$ to replace all of those little bulbs and couldn't even see them. But then I just adjusted the steering wheel a bit, so now I can see most of them.

Originally Posted by BlooToof
I've tried radioshag and those morons that work there dont know jack, they said they didnt have any...I checked and they had 1-2 options but neither worked. I tried dealership and they dont sell the bulb alone, they want you to buy each switch. Power mirror/defroster switch is like $86 IIRC, bla LEDs here I come (this thursday)
Should've tried eBay, I bought a fog light switch there for 4$ plus 6$ in s/h.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 PM

Should've tried eBay, I bought a fog light switch there for 4$ plus 6$ in s/h.

Meh I get the switches from the JY for free. All the ones I've gotten are the same as mine so no point. Beside I'm getting LEDs put in
Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 AM

well il just grab some bulbs from u pull it anyway john maybe some will work? Low mileage ones maybe. Are these bulbs found in little switches of other cars too or what? And how good do those LED's look?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Other cars have different type of bulbs in them. As far as LEDs go, I'd say they look at least as good as the incandescent ones. I got white LEDs, so my buttons have the color they are supposed to have, which is green, but I suppose if you get any other color, you would combine green and whatever you put in to make a new color. Those LEDs are kinda pricy, at about $3 or $4 per bulb.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
mod or sell?

not caring for the blue strip lights
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
not caring for the blue strip lights
I was showing the illuminated buttons, not the glow wire.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 PM

nice, did u use LEDs to light up the switches? im liking the glow wire too. Whered u get it and how did u install it? THe aluminium or w/e dash kit looks good too but would look bettin a black interior i think. My interiors the same as urs so i prob wont look into one..
Old 10-11-2007, 11:08 PM

nice, did u use LEDs to light up the switches? im liking the glow wire too. Whered u get it and how did u install it? THe aluminium or w/e dash kit looks good too but would look bettin a black interior i think. My interiors the same as urs so i prob wont look into one..
Yeah, all the buttons except one in the A/C unit are white LEDs. I think I got the glow wire in Auto Zone, about a year ago or so, and I just glued it to the center console, using the glue that came with it. As for the dashboard, I usaed silver spray pant from Menards to paint all the pieces before I installed the dash kit. I also thought about switching some of the interior to black, since my parts car has it.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 PM

Hey you guys get B96 in Iowa? If you notice in my wiring thread, the power mirror button lights up and that one came from the JY that same day. I guess I got lucky.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 AM

What's B96?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 AM

96.3 FM in Chicago aka www.b96.com

I only asked cuz it was the station on your radio and I figured IOWA is not so far, I was near debuque not too long ago.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:07 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I only asked cuz it was the station on your radio and I figured IOWA is not so far, I was near debuque not too long ago.

Many radio stations across the united states use the same frequency,their broadcast signals are far enough away from each other that they don't mix together.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 AM

i think the glow wire looks good and yea switching out my interior to that of a black one was my plan but i dont and cant acquire a black interior parts car so i gues im outta luck. Too many parts i would need to go to the junkyard and get to do it otherwise.... door panels dash dash trim carpets kickpanels etc.... maybe some day itd b nice. O and john my power mirror button always lit up
Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM

i think the glow wire looks good and yea switching out my interior to that of a black one was my plan but i dont and cant acquire a black interior parts car so i gues im outta luck. Too many parts i would need to go to the junkyard and get to do it otherwise.... door panels dash dash trim carpets kickpanels etc.... maybe some day itd b nice. O and john my power mirror button always lit up
You can easily and cheaply acquire these black parts at the JY, you're just lazy.

Greeny, I know I just figured he's kinda close and that station spans out pretty far through IL and parts of WI that I figured it might reach him.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:51 AM
mod or sell?

I've still got some black interior pieces in my garage.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 AM

ok john i dont have my "colombian connections" at the junkyard liek you. Its 60 bucks for all the seats on wednesday (half off) then u gotta figure 15 for teh dashboard top part and 15 each door panel and i still need carpeting consol dash trim pieces steering wheel and probably b pillars and the rear shelfthat holds the speakers. now all thats would b like 150-180 i duno maybe if i bought it all at once they give me it cheap. Brian how many piece do u have in ur garage and did u want something for them. If i could use ur pieces and Jy parts id like to put together an interior.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
mod or sell?

I know I have the door panels and the center console. nt sure if I still have the pillars I may have thrown them out.
gimme a couple of weeks. I've got my brother's GFs garbage in the way right now.
I know one door panel needs the carpet fixed for sure, but beyond that I can't recall.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 PM

alright that sounds like a plan. how do i go about fixing the carpeting part on the door, carpet from jy and re stitch it or sumthin. I am generally clueless to new things but thats cuz im a kid, as i learn il get like u guys...
Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Nawh, man, our 96.3 is a classic rock station. Chicago is 4 hours away from here, so we don't get any of their stations.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM

anyone got some pics of the switches opened up?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:07 PM

omg need help on putting the hazard light back in place when i opened it up can annyone tell me or guide me into it
also the fog light switch where do u put the lil marble?
everything just flew apart when i opend them
Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by coolsun
omg need help on putting the hazard light back in place when i opened it up can annyone tell me or guide me into it
also the fog light switch where do u put the lil marble?
everything just flew apart when i opend them
OMG That would be why I said to take your time doing that. There are supposed to be two marbles and two springs in the hazard light. The marbles go on the copper connectors. If you look closely, there should be a groove or just a little wear point on those copper connectors. It helps to put one of the switch sides on the table, lay all the parts in appropriate places, slowly bring the other side of the switch and then slap it on there fast, so all the small pieces can't fall out of place. By the way, did I mention that you can't use your turn signals while hazard switch is disconnected?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

OMG That would be why I said to take your time doing that. There are supposed to be two marbles and two springs in the hazard light. The marbles go on the copper connectors. If you look closely, there should be a groove or just a little wear point on those copper connectors. It helps to put one of the switch sides on the table, lay all the parts in appropriate places, slowly bring the other side of the switch and then slap it on there fast, so all the small pieces can't fall out of place. By the way, did I mention that you can't use your turn signals while hazard switch is disconnected?
get a JY one and just use this first one to learn from, and once you are done with the original one, put it back in
Old 10-13-2007, 06:02 PM
mod or sell?

alright that sounds like a plan. how do i go about fixing the carpeting part on the door, carpet from jy and re stitch it or sumthin. I am generally clueless to new things but thats cuz im a kid, as i learn il get like u guys...
you may be able reglue it down. a squirrel tried digging through it.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:17 PM

need help on buying the leds on superbrightleds.com... which ones to buy? for the switiches
Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you may be able reglue it down. a squirrel tried digging through it.
lol a squirrel.....

well whenever uve got the stuff freed up and what not let me know... thanks again.,

Quick Reply: Dash Bulbs