3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

major major issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Max In Process

major major issues

ok well i cleaned out the contacts for the headlight which doesnt work and still no light do i need a new switch or wassup?
also my ac comes on and screen is off and when i do turn on the ac my belt squeeks like hell
Old 10-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Replace belt...... I thought this was major?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by tigga_tha_don
ok well i cleaned out the contacts for the headlight which doesnt work and still no light do i need a new switch or wassup?
also my ac comes on and screen is off and when i do turn on the ac my belt squeeks like hell
you need a meter and find the problem
Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
STFU n00b!

1. buy a new switch. $63 from Southpoint Nissan.
2. replace belt and tension it properly. $12 from autozone.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Max In Process

its only a major problem because unfortunatly the max might be going to sell if people see one headlight out and ac on when its not supposed to be on i cant get the 1500 that they are offering
Old 10-14-2007, 07:43 PM
mod or sell?

I thought this was a life car for you
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I thought this was a life car for you
They all say that..
Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Max In Process

it is but everytime i turn around sumthin new breaks im missing about 6 inches of spring on the passenger side sounds like both control arm bushings are going headlight is out ac in bugging out i love my max to death but its becoming a money pit money goes in nothing comes out and its not a stick i have two tickets to pay so a 5spd swap is out the question right now im goin to try and hold to the max for aslong as i can becuz i want to buy a 240 as a project but if things keep goin array im goin to have to make peace with it
Old 10-14-2007, 08:01 PM
mod or sell?

ALL cars are money pits.
just spend money on what needs to be done and screw the bling
Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Max In Process

im only 17, I NEED BLINGGGGGG
Old 10-14-2007, 08:16 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

What good is all that bling crap when the car is sitting on the side of the road broke down because you spent money on wheels/paint/etc..instead of regular maintenance like every car you will own in the future will need?

Fix broken/worn parts first,then bling..
Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
mod or sell?

and that is the problem with todays kids
Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Max In Process

well i do take car of usual maintance but when things constantly leave me with nothing in m y pocket i cant keep shelling out
im not goin to argue continuously about this but i dont want to sell the max unless u can get enough money for the 240 but wat is the antidote for my dillema
Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

well i do take car of usual maintance but when things constantly leave me with nothing in m y pocket i cant keep shelling out
im not goin to argue continuously about this but i dont want to sell the max unless u can get enough money for the 240 but wat is the antidote for my dillema
How about you read the thread?

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...56&postcount=4
Old 10-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
and that is the problem with todays kids
i'm 19 and an anti-bling activist. I care about how the car works... i want it to look good also but not at the cost of it working well.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Max In Process

such hostility gosh
Old 10-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Alex_V

If you have nothing in your pocket how do you buy bling?

You cant buy a cheap 240 and put "bling" on it and not expect it to break down. Just like your maxima, its going to need repairs, not flash.

I have two cars, both run pretty good, neither have "bling" its all been repair. And I wouldn't hesitate to drive either any where.

LCA bushings can be upgraded for cheap (way under 100) the light switch can be had at the junkyard for under $25, AC will be a little expensive depending on the problem, but how is a spring missing 6 inches? Thats hard to believe, sounds like a blown strut almost.

So $75 for bushings, $25 for headlights,$50 recharge ac, $150 for rear struts. Not bad compared to another cars unknown problems.

Use sand paper, interior wipes and wax as bling. IE make sure your clear coat is super smooth and polished, then wax it. Don't you have rims any way? Keep the car looking good inside and out and just maintain it.

~Alex

Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

such hostility gosh
Yeah kinda.

It's irritating to some of us to see someone dump tons of $$ into how the car looks,and then hear them talk about getting rid of it when it comes to spending money on replacement parts.Every car you will own in the future will need something fixed sooner or later,your problem is not the car,it's that you don't want to spend any money on parts to fix the things that are wrong with it because it wont make it shinier or call attention to you when you drive past some girls..
Old 10-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Max In Process

all this previos bling was from the money people gave me after my mom passed not to damper the mood but once that was spent thars when things are coming down i had tune ups and everything before the bling came and the spring well one day sounded like a gunshot went off and next thing iknow there a ring of spring hanging on my control arm
ill show pics if interested
Old 10-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Yeah kinda.

It's irritating to some of us to see someone dump tons of $$ into how the car looks,and then hear them talk about getting rid of it when it comes to spending money on replacement parts.Every car you will own in the future will need something fixed sooner or later,your problem is not the car,it's that you don't want to spend any money on parts to fix the things that are wrong with it because it wont make it shinier or call attention to you when you drive past some girls..
yeah see my car is kindof an eyesore, especially from the rear with the half-sanded tail lights and peeling trim on the trunk finisher, but it's a WIP and runs better for cheaper than the Camrys of my brother and mother, and my friend's 2001 elantra, and many other cars I've seen. The only bling on my car is the stock GXE chrome trim that I swapped onto my SE tails just to keep it all uniform trim-wise.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

all this previos bling was from the money people gave me after my mom passed not to damper the mood but once that was spent thars when things are coming down i had tune ups and everything before the bling came and the spring well one day sounded like a gunshot went off and next thing iknow there a ring of spring hanging on my control arm
ill show pics if interested
there's a ton of guys on the Org who will sell you a good used spring for $20 if you want to put through the effort to install the thing..
Old 10-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Max In Process

any offers guys?????
Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

any offers guys?????
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44
Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Max In Process

well the spring has to be able to take pressure again becuz thats wat happen to the stock spring
Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Alex_V

Stock springs on hundreds of maximas and are fine, you probably also have a strut problem. Take the wheel off and take a pic.

~Alex

Old 10-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Max In Process

struts are brand new kyb's
Old 10-14-2007, 09:55 PM

like i said before. people seem to forget that these cars are nearing 15-20 years old. things get old and wear out or break. wah wah wah
Old 10-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Max In Process

my point of not putting an stock used spring on i juss dont have money to buy a whoe set of 4 brand new springs
Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 PM
LvR

my point of not putting an stock used spring on i juss dont have money to buy a whoe set of 4 brand new springs
Eh?.................
Old 10-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

that is EXACTLY why you SHOULD put on a used stock spring. At least your car will be reasonably safe to drive in the meantime while you are saving the money that you would otherwise be wasting on 'bling' *hint hint*. By reasonably safe, I mean that that your car won't careen off the road the second you take a turn a little faster than you maybe should, or if the broken-ness of the spring has caused other damage that you don't even know about. You can't just leave a VERY important car part broken for the sake of 'saving until you can buy a full set'. Regardless of mileage on each individual spring... any set of four proper stock springs is better than all-same-mileage springs with 3 being intact and 1 being broken by a whole coil. The cost of a used spring is worth the $20 setback in your eventual plan for new springs. Just eat cheap food for a month and you'll save more than $20.

I know it's easy to get distracted by the idea of making your car perfect in the end and it's easy to look too far out but dude you got to take care of the car's present before you can even think about its future. What if you wreck the damn thing because of the broken spring. What good will 4 brand new drop springs do you then, once the car is crushed beyond repair?

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-15-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Alex_V

You car is unsafe right now, as that wheel is pretty much just flopping around. When you get in a wreck your going to wish you replaced a $20 spring and ~$50 strut to avoid totaling your car. I'm sure some one is parting out a max and part with a whole strut/spring combo.

Its nice to upgrade things that break, but if your broke and you cant buy $150 in struts or $200 in springs you need your car to be safe, which it can be for under $100.

~Alex

Old 10-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Max In Process

so you want me to take out the new struts and throw the stocks back in if someone can deal me two front strust all i have to pay is to get them i get them installed for free
Old 10-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Alex_V

I want you to take a pic of what actually broke. Since the spring is free, it could be a broken spring perch, or a broken spring. And if you've driven alot on it it might have blown the strut and you might have to replace just that strut. But your going to need A) a stock spring b) stock strut assembly (to put your new strut and old spring back on)

~Alex

Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Max In Process

this weekend alex heavy work and school week so ill try and get some pics
Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 PM
STFU n00b!

it takes 20 min to pull and replace a broken spring/strut assembly.

if you're that hard up on money, start selling the bling.

this is a safety issue, not a when-I-get-around-to-it-thing. right now your car is unsafe to drive. keep driving on it and you're going to eventually get in a wreck and hurt/kill someone. usually it's the person you hit and not yourself.. worst case scenario-- you're going to wind up spending months in a court room and your car insurance is going to tell you to take a hike since you willingly drove an unsafe car. now you have a wrecked car and a bunch of people mad at you and thousands (if not millions) in court fees and litigation to pay off........... all because you didn't want to spend a few minutes fixing a broken spring.

STFU and fix the damn car.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:51 PM
LvR

this weekend alex heavy work and school week so ill try and get some pics
:stfu:

If you are unsure, get up off your backside, take 10 seconds to lean in under the car and take a pic - you don't need ages to do that .................... better yet fix the friggin thing - in the time you have spent typing up the difficult to read posts here you could have solved all your Maxima's problems already but you choose to fart around and look for sympathy you don't deserve.

Stop complaining about the whole world hating you, ORG hostility etc - do something meaningful for yourself for a change.

I have to presume you started this thread to get some help - now start participating for crying in a bucket - Dr Ruth runs a website with a different address for your personal problems
Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah fix the car. The repair money you put into it will up the equity and you will be able to get decently more than 1500 if/when you eventually sell it, especially with that fresh paint.

Personally, I came to the decision that its cheaper to fix the car I already love than to buy another used car and hope that it doesnt need as much work anyway. If you want a 240 for a project later, you need to get some practice working on the car anyway.

Set a budget for yourself and say "I will not spend more than x amount of money per month on this car because that what I can afford right now" and compare that with an up-front cost or monthly cost on another car. Once you see that it is less, start fixing the most important issues first, like that spring and bushings.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 PM

uhhhhhh yeah......... what everyone above me said! haha (stole y'all thunder)
Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Alex_V

Well you don't really need pics, just take off both rear wheels and compare whats broken to how it should look on the other side. But pics of course would help us tell you exactly what you need.

Edit- on the same note, how many stock springs or spring perches have you guys heard of failing?

~Alex

Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Max In Process

mineke put the springs on and he said its a one in a million thing to happen

Quick Reply: major major issues