3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Heat...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:14 PM
mod or sell?

start with that first.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:43 PM

Has anyone had the problem of your maxima "overcooling"? The other day I got on the highway and at 55mph the temp dropped from 1/2 to 1/4 and the heat turned to cool air.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:01 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Has anyone had the problem of your maxima "overcooling"? The other day I got on the highway and at 55mph the temp dropped from 1/2 to 1/4 and the heat turned to cool air.
You need to replace your t-stat..
Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks. Finally gonna have a house (hopefully, closing is this thursday) so i'll be able to do it in my own garage.
Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
You need to replace your t-stat..
Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Thanks. Finally gonna have a house (hopefully, closing is this thursday) so i'll be able to do it in my own garage.
Shweet!!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:38 PM

yeah I looked at the heater valve and regardless of the position of the temp selector inside, the valve is in the same position. Is this a common item to fail? If so, I may not want to get one from the JY.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by gapboi210
yeah I looked at the heater valve and regardless of the position of the temp selector inside, the valve is in the same position. Is this a common item to fail? If so, I may not want to get one from the JY.
This issue may not be the heater valve itself,but lack of a signal from your ac/heat unit to open /close the valve..

Check the wire harness going to the valve with a meter to see if it's getting juice(slide the controls from heat to cold/when testing)..If it is then yea,the valve would most likely need to be replaced..

On a side note,these unit rarely fail,so getting a used unit from a salvage yard would be your best option.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:58 PM

I checked the vacuum lines and it is getting suction to the unit so can i test the lines with a test light?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 AM

my heat kinda works too. When I first start it up and run down the road a while it won't work and then all of a sudden it gets hot. Any reason why? It seems like it should get hot immediately as soon as the operating temp is up? Not very cold here in Texas yet, but don't like to freeze.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 AM

I jacked up the front of the car and let it bleed the air. It seemed to work. I had heat while idling. Now a few days later, no heat at all while driving or idling. Then all of a sudden I have heat. I thinking heater control valve. I went out to check the coolant level and the radiator is low but the overflow tank is full to the top. What gives?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
mod or sell?

you have a bad radiator cap.
it's not doing it's job.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:40 AM

its new
Old 11-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
pull both hoses off going to your heater core and flush them with your water hose with the valve set on "FIRE!!!!"
run it one direction for a minute or two, then go the other way.. back and forth for a while. you'll be amazed how much sludge and crap comes out of your heater core.

If that doesn't do anything, check your water **** to make sure its opening completely.
My heater started acting strange, where is the water ****? I'd like to check it.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 PM

Pressure test the cooling system, you are leaking somewhere either internally, or externally, and the leak is preventing the system from developing enough vacuum to draw more coolant in from the tank.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM

There is no leak and it is purging the coolant from the radiator to the tank.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
STFU n00b!

then you simply have too much air in the system and you didn't burp it properly. If you have too much air in there, it won't fill/suck the overflow tank properly and you'll just wind up with MORE air in the radiator. its strange, but that's the way it works.

you need to jack the front end of the car WAAAAAAAY up (as per the FSM) and bleed the system again.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:26 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
then you simply have too much air in the system and you didn't burp it properly. If you have too much air in there, it won't fill/suck the overflow tank properly and you'll just wind up with MORE air in the radiator. its strange, but that's the way it works.

you need to jack the front end of the car WAAAAAAAY up (as per the FSM) and bleed the system again.
Or you could do this if you have a nice hill in the yard..

Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 PM

When I got my car, it was leaking from a crack in the top tank of the radiator, right near the passengers side mounting post. I lost a good bit of fluid before I spotted the leak. After I repaired the leak, I just filled the radiator, and fired it up for a bit. When the fluid went down, I filled again, and repeated, the filled up the overflow bottle, and all was good. I guess I was lucky because the car was parked on a bit of a hill, must have been enough to do the job.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Mine is being a PITA to bleed. I think my heater control valve might be faulty too so I wonder if that's why I am not getting all the air out.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 PM

my problem

I have 212k+ miles on my GXE 92. This summar, I got the timing belt and water pump replaced. After that, I noticed that the temperature guage maxs out with just 10 minutes of driving and then gradually cools down to the center of the meter without even stopping the car. Happened many many times. I took the car back to the mechanic and he added a lot of coolant with the car running. But I've noticed the same thing later too several times. Later when I checked once, the radiator was empty (but the reserse plastic "bottle" for coolant was full, I don't know what is its purpose then). I put almost half gallon of coolant and started the car and waited for air bubbles. Not one was found. After that, the temperature guage stays in the middle.

Now the heater blows cold air. I took my car to the mechanic (after driving for an hour). He pressed gas hard for 10 minutes with the heating on. Then warmer air started coming out. He told me that since there are too many miles, the engine is weak and I should start it at least for 10-15 minutes and then rev the engine. He also told me that the coil for the heater is bad and it is for $400.

Any comments?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
Stop by my job and pay $170 for a coolant system power-flush and a new thermostat, guaranty(ee) it'll make air come out hotter. yo I'm hungry...just got home and I'm hungry dammit
Mr John,

Where's your shop?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mfghazi
I have 212k+ miles on my GXE 92. This summar, I got the timing belt and water pump replaced. After that, I noticed that the temperature guage maxs out with just 10 minutes of driving and then gradually cools down to the center of the meter without even stopping the car. Happened many many times. I took the car back to the mechanic and he added a lot of coolant with the car running. But I've noticed the same thing later too several times. Later when I checked once, the radiator was empty (but the reserse plastic "bottle" for coolant was full, I don't know what is its purpose then). I put almost half gallon of coolant and started the car and waited for air bubbles. Not one was found. After that, the temperature guage stays in the middle.

Now the heater blows cold air. I took my car to the mechanic (after driving for an hour). He pressed gas hard for 10 minutes with the heating on. Then warmer air started coming out. He told me that since there are too many miles, the engine is weak and I should start it at least for 10-15 minutes and then rev the engine. He also told me that the coil for the heater is bad and it is for $400.

Any comments?
sounds like you need the system properly filled and bled.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Mr John,

Where's your shop?

Are you in Chicago too? I dont know if thats your problem on your car but you're welcome to stop by if you're in Chicago or surroundng suburbs. PM me if you're still interested
Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
sounds like you need the system properly filled and bled.
I'll do that on the weekend if weather will be nicer in NJ. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
Are you in Chicago too? I dont know if thats your problem on your car but you're welcome to stop by if you're in Chicago or surroundng suburbs. PM me if you're still interested
I'm in New Jersey, so I can't bring my car to you. I don't even know if my car can travel that much but it certainly never proved to be a jerk and I feel like a king when driving it until I take it to a mechanic.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I'm in New Jersey, so I can't bring my car to you. I don't even know if my car can travel that much but it certainly never proved to be a jerk and I feel like a king when driving it until I take it to a mechanic.
There's your trouble....I suggest learning how to fix it yourself,these cars are quite "shade tree mechanic" friendly..

All the information you need is right here in the archived threads,use the free google search,or donate $20(good for 20 years) for the "good" search function..
Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
There's your trouble....I suggest learning how to fix it yourself,these cars are quite "shade tree mechanic" friendly..

All the information you need is right here in the archived threads,use the free google search,or donate $20(good for 20 years) for the "good" search function..
Certainly I love to fix things myself and did few of them too (clock fixing several times, door lock timer, some others too). I do lack time and a place as there isn't much space outside my apartment

I don't know about the free google search. When I try to find a topic, I sort all the threads by the titles and skip pages to get to the ones I need.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Certainly I love to fix things myself and did few of them too (clock fixing several times, door lock timer, some others too). I do lack time and a place as there isn't much space outside my apartment

I don't know about the free google search. When I try to find a topic, I sort all the threads by the titles and skip pages to get to the ones I need.