3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Shock Sensor Add on..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shock Sensor Add on..

So i saw a thread on the 4th gen forum about adding a shock sensor the stock alarm. The 4thgen has a write up which is nice for them but we dont... So looking at the FSM i learned the obvious, the alarm is triggered when the circuit is completed, i.e. any door or hood/trunk is opened and the pin goes up or out the circuit gets completed and the electronic signal is sent to the alarm and BEEP BEEP BEEP etc. So what if i get a shock sensor and wire it to the positive is spliced into the + for the hood pin switch and the ground is spliced into the ground for the hood pin switch. This way when the shock sensor gets triggered by a shock or glass breakage it sends the electronic signal thru the wires for the hood pin switch telling the alarm the hood is opened therefore signaling the alarm. Would this work? Anyone else have any ideas? Also would i have to run a power wire from the battery to the shock sensor or tap into the constant power to the theft control units harness?

where can i buy these sensors and where can i get those quick splice things?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 PM
mod or sell?

you can buy the sensor at an alarm store. my supplier keeps them in stock, but I'm too lazy to see if it's a positive or negative trigger
Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 PM

well could u do that for me, i didnt c anything alarm related on the parts catalog altho i wasnt expecting too.... How many wires do those things usually have to connect?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Typically they have 3-4 wires depending on the style. The 3 wire units have pos/neg and then the signal wire. The 4 wire versions have one extra wire as a "warn away" signal for lighter bumps which beeps the alarm but will not fully activate the system.

Whether the signal is +/- you could hook up a relay if the ouput is wrong in order to switch it to the opposite.

As mentioned before, you can get a sensor at any audio store. Expect to pay around $10-$15 dollars. Any more and they are ripping you off!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 PM

yea i just found and read the 4th gen write up on this, u splice into a power and ground wire and then into the hood pin switch, just as i was tihnking should work on the 3rd gen... i found a sensor online for 8.72 but i dont want to ship it or wait, il call some local alarm shops tomorow maybe....

Where can i get those no cuttin required splices?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Get Off My Lawn

====Well, you can get them at AutoZone or probably Radioshack. Does no one have a local electronics shop around? I've got one in downtown that has everything you need to rebuild a Nasa shuttle, hook up surround sound, or just fix a broken wire.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM

im in Wood Dale, the gayest suburb of chicago, theres like 3 stores, Jewel my wonderful employer, target and like petco. theres nothing....
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by 92gxe/cg2
im in Wood Dale, the gayest suburb of chicago, theres like 3 stores, Jewel my wonderful employer, target and like petco. theres nothing....
Yo not to burst your bubble but thats more than enough, I'm sure petco will have a few options in stock.

There's www.radioshack.com which has Store Locator for all your nearby radioshack stores phone numbers, call dont waste gas driving there.

There's a few alarm shops by my house where you can probably get it from.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 AM
mod or sell?

he's already got the address of a local alarm supply shop.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg

====Well, you can get them at AutoZone or probably Radioshack. Does no one have a local electronics shop around? I've got one in downtown that has everything you need to rebuild a Nasa shuttle, hook up surround sound, or just fix a broken wire.
il try radio shack for everything i need tomorow or thursday when im off, the autozone in wood dale didnt seem to have the splices anyway. Also downtown what city
?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM
mod or sell?

you talking about this one:

or this one:

I've got both types at work right now
Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM

i dont know which one, im sure one of them is the one i want, how does it work? U put the new wire into it and then put the whole thing over the existing wire and then clamp it or sumthin and it selfs splices into it w/o u cuttin any wires i believe?...
Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
mod or sell?

the first one uses 2 pieces. the one shown clamps onto the existing wire creating a point to connect a spade connector to it.

the second one has the existing wire go through on the one side and then you slide the other wire onto the other side and clamp it down (sounds easier than it is)
Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the first one uses 2 pieces. the one shown clamps onto the existing wire creating a point to connect a spade connector to it.

the second one has the existing wire go through on the one side and then you slide the other wire onto the other side and clamp it down (sounds easier than it is)
just gotta have a steady hand and a little room. I was splicing crap off the TCU harness.... i cussed some. Darn climate control system! always getting in the way...
Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
just gotta have a steady hand and a little room. I was splicing crap off the TCU harness.... i cussed some. Darn climate control system! always getting in the way...
that's why I like the first one a bit better.
we'll see how well they work pretty soon, I'm going to use them to install my alarm and radio pretty soon I hope
Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I'm partial to the first one unless it is something a bit more perminant and in a tighter location with lots of parallel wires, like under the dash. For your application, I recommend the first one. Make sure you use pliers to press it down over the wire completely.