3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Headlight Difficulties

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001 | 10:59 PM
Mudd

Headlight Difficulties

Hello. I just picked up a 92 Max yesterday, and am having a few problems. First off, the headlights (which, after running a quick search, it seems all KINDS of people had problems with). During the day, the driver's high beam (only the drivers) has a tendancy to just turn on, for no reason. It will also do it on occasion when the car is off, unless I leave the high beam switch on while the car's off. I'm thinking perhaps the headlight switch, perhaps the harness. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The other thing that needs immediate attention is the power steering pump. This looks like a pain in the *** - anyone done on on a 92 Max before? It's an A/T, if that makes any difference. I can't even see it from the engine bay - I need to crawl up under the car to do it, I'm assuming. Tips? Pointers?

Go easy on me - this is my first non-sports car I've ever owned. If it was turbo charged or AWD I'd have it going in no time. All this luxury stuff has me stumped.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2001 | 11:15 PM
STFU n00b!

the tranny option doesn't matter.. it's the trim of the car you need to specify (GXE and SE have different engines. GXE= SOHC 160hp, SE= DOHC 190hp)..

but the power steering pump isn't that bad.. it's just messy.
it took about 30 minutes to remove mine off my GXE parts car. there's about 5 bolts on the right side of it.. some of them you'll have to go through the holes in the pulley to get to. once those are loosened (not removed, just loosened) remove the hoses, and clean up the mess.. then remove the rest of the bolts and pull it out. makes things a tad bit easier.

now if I could just figure out where my damn PS fluid leak is! the car's so messy down there, I can't tell where the leak is! oh well.
Old 10-30-2001 | 06:01 PM
Mudd

Well, I got a couple of those problems sorted out this weekend. The headlight turned out to be a worn contact on the headlight switch. If I wasn't a cheap bastard, I may have been inclined to get a new switch. But I am, so I basically rebuilt the switch and cleaned all the contacts. The window motor was actually just the regulator, and not the motor itself. $60 bucks and that was fixed.

The cruise control switch was also a matter of a worn contact. Again, pulled it apart and cleaned the contacts and it worked beautifully.

The sunroof switch was bad, so instead of replacing it OEM, I once again went the cheap route and used an old Clifford valet switch and wired the sunroof to that.

That was all the problems the car had when I bought it. I'm impressed, these cars are pretty forgiving to work on. I'm thinking of maybe even buying a 02 when they come out and keeping the 92 as a beater car. We'll see.