3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

92 Manual trans locked up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 PM

92 Manual trans locked up?

Hey guys, i bought this 92 max with a manual trans. It had a blown motor and the trans needed a main input shaft bearing. Well, i took it apart, got the new bearing, put it on, and my brother and i put the trans back together. Everything went in as it should (cause we followed the dealers manual), but after we got it put in the car it wont shift.

Now heres some noted points, we lost some of the small metal ***** that "shift" places when you shift the car. They sit under the shafts. I beleive there is 3 or 4 metal ***** in this "sleeve" in the transmission. I bought some from the dealer but they were hard to get set in right. I still believe we did that right. The only thing my brother said may have been wrong was the shift selector.

Either way the car wont move. We didnt try hard yet cause it still could be the brakes just rusted shut but the shifter doesnt move right. My dad wanted to push the car with his truck, but i dont think thats a good idea since we dont know whats wrong with the trans. He thinks it'll free it up. I think it'll break something.

Before i take it to a shop could someone give me some advice if they might know what the problem is? Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not having the check ***** in there will cause this, but I think you guys messed up when putting the case back together. You're supposed to hold the shifter linkage in between 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th while it's in neutral. If you don't do that while putting the case back together, the 1st-2nd gear shift rod will go down into gear while the shifter is still in neutral causing the tranny to lock up.

1 3 5
-S--
2 4 R

Put the shifter where the "S" is...

I'd recommend cracking open the case while the tranny is still in the car. It's very easy and I've done it many times before. All you have to do is drain the tranny fluid, unbolt the driver side ball joint, remove the driver side axle, support the bell housing with a jack, remove the tranny mounts, remove sensors and wire(s), remove the upper check ball bolts, unbolt the case, and remove it. Once it's open, put all of the shift rods in the neutral position, make SURE all of the check ***** are in there (including the interlock plunger), have a friend hold the shifter in the position I described above, and install the case. Make sure to scrape off the old RTV and put new RTV on it before installing the case. Installing the case is a little bit tricky, but it's definitely doable.

Last edited by 505max94se; 10-28-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:54 PM

And definitly don't push it with a truck while it's stuck in two gears at once. Pull the trans back out and pull the case off and figure out what went wrong, you'll probably find what he mentioned, but just double triple quadruple check all your check ***** as well, and don't forget about that little interlock plunger that sits inside the 3/4 shift rod.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:30 PM
kthxbye2u

shift linkage?...

I had a guy turn in a car that SWORE the tranny was done... all it was, was the shift linkage

just my .02
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 AM

+1 on check ***** and reassembly. Also, do not shift the tranny until the two ***** and springs that go in the side of the case are installed, or rods will drop and you'll be stuck in two gears again, even if all of the internal lower rod ***** are installed correctly.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 AM

every time i put my 5speed back in and fill it with synthetic oil its really hard to shift the first few times, but once you force it a few times it gets easyer. I dunno if this is normal but the trans is still goin.

just my 2 cents
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 AM
STFU n00b!

what 505max said.. but I recommend pulling the tranny. it's not much longer time to pull it from the car, and it's a LOT easier to work on in the bench if you don't have a lift. maaaan I hate the tranny dripping crap all over your head while you're trying to get all the check ***** and crap redone and realigning all the shift forks.

when you put it back together and get all the ***** in place, make sure it shifts BEFORE you do the complete reinstallation. been there, done that. sucks ballz to do it again.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
what 505max said.. but I recommend pulling the tranny. it's not much longer time to pull it from the car, and it's a LOT easier to work on in the bench if you don't have a lift. maaaan I hate the tranny dripping crap all over your head while you're trying to get all the check ***** and crap redone and realigning all the shift forks.
I think his check ***** are probably all in place. He probably just needs to take it apart, put the 1st-2nd shift rod back in neutral, and put the case back on properly. If so, it would save alot of time by doing it while it's in the car. Either way he does it I just wanted to give him an alternative option that works very well for me.

Matt, just out of curiosity, have you done a 3rd gen tranny rebuild while it still in the car? The reason I decided to start doing it this way was because, a while ago, you mentioned that it might be possible to crack the case while the tranny was in the car. I did my first ISB replacement on a work bench. The next ISB replacement I did was on my own car and I decided to try the method you had suggested. I thought that I might not be able to line up the input shaft, output shaft, and the differential. I also thought that the check ***** would be very difficult, but I said what the he11 and did it anyway. Now I've done it 4-5 times and it's very easy to do it this way. I never have tranny fluid dripping on me because I wipe it off of the case and gears before I start working.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
when you put it back together and get all the ***** in place, make sure it shifts BEFORE you do the complete reinstallation. been there, done that. sucks ballz to do it again.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
STFU n00b!

I've done one on the car and I decided I'd rather do it on the workbench. it only takes me an additional 5-10 min to pull the tranny over doing it in the car.
with my bad eyesight and all the grease involved, I prefer to have it on the bench where I can see it and not get crap dripping in my face.

plus you don't have to fight gravity when you're moving those check ***** around.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 PM

I do the check ***** thing every morning.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM

hmm sounds good. I'll have to try this out. I was hoping someone could give me some good advice. Thanks