3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Replacing steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 PM

Replacing steering wheel

Ok, don't shoot me, I searched and couldn't find anything relavent. I got a new black steering wheel from a 93? GXE from traxtar. How does I go about removing old one (star trek maroon gayness) and installing new smexier steering wheel. Also, I don't think my 89 had airbags, and this new one does. I can just leave the airbag unplugged, right? Thanks guys, and again don't shoot me.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM

Anyone? BUMP
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Ok I had to figure it out on my own so here goes

Be sure to have your steering wheel straight before removing it so the new one is aligned with the wheels

If a round donut-like container has exposed ribbon cable, DO NOT unroll it, try to put it back in without messing with it or it will snap later on while you're turning. It happened to me and I had to replace it.

1. Disconnect the negative cable off the battery 10mm nut and wait about 10 minutes (I didnt lol)

2. Use a Torx TamperProof size T45 or T50 (not sure which) after removing two platic covers on side of wheel near cruise controls.

3. You'll need size 19mm I believe to remove the center nut that hold wheel in place.

4. Be sure to remember where you disconnect everything from so you can put it back where it goes (airbag cables which is a ribbon, horn, and cruise controls)

Reverse process for installation, hope I didnt miss anything.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Awesome, thanks a bunch man. Might tackle it tommorow.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Be sure to unplug the battery so you dont have an airbag that can travel 30 feet in the air while it deploys 150-200 miles an hour. Dont mark my words on how fast it deploys but my mom got hurt pretty bad this past thursday after her POS car had the motor mount break and had the car take off WOT into a curb, pole, and 98-02 corolla.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
Be sure to unplug the battery so you dont have an airbag that can travel 30 feet in the air while it deploys 150-200 miles an hour. Dont mark my words on how fast it deploys but my mom got hurt pretty bad this past thursday after her POS car had the motor mount break and had the car take off WOT into a curb, pole, and 98-02 corolla.

Well my 89 doesn't have an airbag. I'm going to disregard the airbag cable from the new steering wheel and just connect the cruise and horn. But, I will disconnect the battery of course.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Your car doesn't have a clock spring. What you need to do is go to the junkyard and find a Maxima with an airbag steering wheel already on it. Armed with a phillips head screwriver, the correct Torx bit, and the correct socket for removing the nut that holds the steering wheel on, you want to remove the outer top and bottom pieces that cover the part right behind the steering wheel. Use the Torx bit to remove both bolts on both sides of the steering wheel. Remove the main nut holding the steering wheel. Gently unplug all wiring, and make sure the wires are completely loose so they can fall through the center hole without snagging on to the wheel when you pull it off. Pull off the steering wheel. Unplug all wiring going to the switches and everything else on that center mass of crap right behind the steering wheel. There is only one thing holding that mass of crap to the steering column and it is a collar. The screw holding it in place is right on top. You can't miss it. Completely unscrew it. Pull the mass off. You have to be a little persuasive, but it will come off. You will then go to your car and basically do the same thing, but then reattach the one you got from the junkyard. It will snap right into place. If you are wiring the cruise buttons from the newer steering wheel, too, it's a cake job. The wiring is coded the same.

Like blootoof said, be carefull not to mess with the top spinning thing on the top of the mass of crap (which is the outer part of the clock spring housing). If it pops off during your removal on the junk car, you'd be best off to find yourself another wrecked Maxima with an airbag wheel and repeat the process.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 PM

Can you show a picture of what I'll need? I bought my steering wheel from traxtar, and you can see the pics here. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=536712

He included everything that I think I'll need, but I'm going to go to a u-pick sometime this week anyways. If I get pictures, it'll help so I have an idea of what to do.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM

Why does he need the clock spring if he doesn't have an airbag equipped car? And how did a bad motor mount cause you mom's Accord to go WOT?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:42 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure if it will just bolt up. I never disconnected the clock spring housing from the mass of crap it's attached to. Don't have any photos, either. If you have the following things:

1) Steering wheel puller
2) Torx bit set
3) A couple of phillips head screwdrivers
4) The correct socket on a 1/2" drive w/ extension

...you'll be just fine. You might want to try to install it first before resorting to the junkyard, then follow the steps I gave you if you need to do it. I just have no idea whether or not the clock spring bolts right up to the mass of crap.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
Why does he need the clock spring if he doesn't have an airbag equipped car?
It won't bolt up properly without it.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

could have just asked me buddy! Looks like you got a couple answers that should get that steering wheel off no problem. Thanks again for a smooth purchase.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:48 PM

AH i C. antoher thing, won't he need a puller or are the Maxima steering wheels not pressed?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by traxtar944
could have just asked me buddy! Looks like you got a couple answers that should get that steering wheel off no problem. Thanks again for a smooth purchase.
Doh, didn't wanna hassle ya after just buying the damn thing. You ->:stfu: <-Me
So the clock spring is what'll allow me to bolt it up properly? Anyone got pics?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 PM

@gapboi - I used a puller. It made it a simple process.

@Dhunterx - The mass of crap it's bolted to is the same thing the turn signal and wiper switches bolt on to. If you remove the plastic housing on the top and bottom of the steering column you'll see it clear as day.

Another thing I forgot to mention is having wire cutters. It'll be another thing that'll come in handy when taking that mass of crap off at the junkyard.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:21 PM

Well, probably going to raid a u-pick for some turbo volvo parts, got a fun project with our mule volvo sitting in the garage, so I'll raid some third gens for the clock spring and any other goodies I might want. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:17 AM

Not to thread jack...but I have an aftermarket wheel whose horn button has two wires going into the boss...obviously, these are the power and ground wires for the horn. The only problem is that the backside of the boss just is a flat metal ring, and it seems like a brush-type connector should touch it to to make the connection for the horn.So my problem is that I don't know how to wire the horn up for power. If I used a wire it would wrap around the steering column every time I made a turn and rip out. Does anyone have experience with hooking up an aftermarket wheel and making the horn work? Thanks!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 AM

You might want to get Dhunterx to send you the old brush-style setup he takes off his car when he switches it for the clock spring setup. The brush style is what Nissan used for the non-airbag cars.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM

I can send you the brush style after I get to the JY. Have no idea when I'm going though, hopefully tomorrow. I'll send you a PM after I get my clockspring installed and the brush thing taken out.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:05 PM

NICE! Thats awesome. I wasn't sure HOW I was going to do that...I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! I just thought all maxima's had that setup like my old one. The brush thing along with the connector piece would be appreciated. I'm assuming it just bolts right in like the clock spring type?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:19 PM

Dhunterx...... /b/rowse much?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood!
Dhunterx...... /b/rowse much?
Rules one and two... :stfu:
Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 PM

wtf is going on? I'm always clueless as to whats going on. I feel like such a blonde
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Ok, got the clockspring. I got the connector for the new steering wheel. Problem is, I don't know what each wire does. I got different color wires on my old connector and different ones on the new one. I was gonna solder the new connector, but I need to know what each wire corresponds to. On the old connector I have the following wires: lightgreen with white, darkgreen with white, tan with grey, black with white, blue, brown with grey and a purple. The new connector has the following wires: 2 yellows with pink, a light blue, a dark blue, a brown with white, a purple, and a tan (or white). I need to know which wires would have to be soldered to each other so I can get my horn and cruise. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:04 PM

damn...this info will help me too if you're going to send me that brush thing. Maybe I can send you the other end of the plug and when you send me the brush thing you can include both ends of the plug as well. That way there's still a way to remove it if need be. I hate making a hard connection where there used to be a plug. In the mean time, that info will be useful. I'm sure that the clockspring has more wires though because it also has the airbag wires. I don't know what the color differences are though. It's strange that both wheels have 7 wires, I'd think that the one with the airbag would have more than the one without.

Last edited by traxtar944; 11-03-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM

Or, if someone can get me the schematics for the horn/cruise connection wires for a 93, so I can cross reference myself with my FSM, that would be awesome.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:06 PM

damn...this info will help me too if you're going to send me that brush thing. Maybe I can also send you the other end of the connector so you can still use it? Then you can send me the brush-type thing with the entire connector as well. I hate making solid connections where there used to be a plug. In the mean-time, this info is good because you're putting an airbag wheel on a car that has no airbag...I'm sure someone will want to do that in the future.
I got the other end connector from the JY too, I just need to cross reference the wires so I can get it in my car. I can send you the whole brush thing also, I'll take pictures after I get the wheel in.

*edit* btw traxtar, what steering wheel are you putting in that you would need the brush type system? 240sx? A maxima SE wheel w/o airbag.

Last edited by Dhunterx; 11-03-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:14 PM

I have an Isotta Strada wheel. It's kind of like MOMO. They're a big company in Italy. A friend of mine turned me on to the company and I'm hooked. Their products are SO nice. I've got their alu06 pedals, FR10-NE dead pedal, and an e-brake handle as well. The steering wheel is smaller than the stock wheel too, which improves the steering ratio for tighter turns. I paired that up with NRG's quick release and short hub system. I'll post pics as soon as the interior is done. Here's a link to their site and a pic of the steering wheel.

::Isotta::

Last edited by traxtar944; 11-03-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Agreed, those are some HAWT looking wheels. But what about horn and cruise?

Annnd c'mon ,someone has gotta have the schematics PLEASE! I gotta be able to drive it soon.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:23 PM

Well, it has a horn, and I'm integrating my own cruise buttons into the dash. 3 Little push-buttons right by the vent. It'll look like it was meant to be there when I'm done. As far as an airbag....I know it's retarded to remove, but I just really like the look of that strada wheel. I've been driving without an airbag for almost a year now.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Annoying bump. I need schematics from a 93, the horn and cruise wiring please.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:39 PM

Ok, n/m the FSM doesn't help me. I need to actually know what color wires to cross reference between the airbag type connector and the non air-bag type connector. '90-Maxima, it looks like you've done this before; would you know which wires I'd have to connect to get the horn and cruise to work?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM

you could take a 9v battery and just start testing out wires untill you get the horn to work....i don't know if 9v is enough though.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:06 PM

you could take a 9v battery and just start testing out wires untill you get the horn to work....i don't know if 9v is enough though.
The horn would be easy to figure out, problem is cruise. And there's a lot of trail and error trying to figure out which of the 7 wires correspond to each other. Someone has to know which colors correspond to each other. I could have had it done today, but the airbag wires and non airbag wires are colored differently.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
Ok, n/m the FSM doesn't help me. I need to actually know what color wires to cross reference between the airbag type connector and the non air-bag type connector. '90-Maxima, it looks like you've done this before; would you know which wires I'd have to connect to get the horn and cruise to work?
Dhunterx, I'd love to help you. The car's in the paint shop right now, though, so I can't get to it to check. You'd have to wait for at least two weeks for some answers. I know from memory that the horn is brown. Other than that I'd have to look to see. If no one hooks you up with the schematics I'll break it down for you 14 days from now.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM
mod or sell?

if you remind me I'll scan in the page(s) from my 92 FSM which has both airbag and non-airbag setups.
and if anyone is interested I'm probably selling my FSM soon.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
if you remind me I'll scan in the page(s) from my 92 FSM which has both airbag and non-airbag setups.
and if anyone is interested I'm probably selling my FSM soon.
I downloaded a 94 FSM from g20, I know that the wiring is the same, but it doesn't tell me the color of the wires. Thanks anyways.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 AM

I recently did a small wiring job under my dash and well, it did have the colors for the wires...so its kinda weird that it didnt for the job you're doing...
Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
I recently did a small wiring job under my dash and well, it did have the colors for the wires...so its kinda weird that it didnt for the job you're doing...
Yea, I found the wiring in EL-27 and EL-28 in the 94 book, and it tells me that 3 wires are resume/accel, 2 are set coast, and 2 are horn. But it doesn't tell me what the colors are. And I haven't found ANY other place in the book where it tells me the wiring for the horn/cruise.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:22 AM
mod or sell?

look at EL-114 the colors are there.

Quick Reply: Replacing steering wheel