3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

heater motor won't stop blowing in acc/on position

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 PM

heater motor won't stop blowing in acc/on position

the car is a 92 se auto, with auto climate control. the lcd climate control screen works, though it has the usual issue of being hard to read at times. as of today if the key is in the acc or on position the defroster will be blowing full tilt, regardless of settings on the climate control. the climate control itself seems to be working fine, the buttons change the temperature, mode, etc. and when the off button on the climate control is pushed the lights go out, yet the blower continues full blast. it will turn off if the key is returned to the off position.
my first thought was a relay failing. looking in the fsm (EL-189) i found the Blower HI Relay. i removed it completely, yet the blower still ran non stop. i've pored over the fsm, but can't see any other relevant relays on the auto climate control cars. searching online for similar issues with other cars a couple common themes emerge, other than the relays. some people have found the culprit to be a blown resistor pack, while others have had issues with blower control modules. i'm not sure if the maxima even has either of those 2 parts.
sorry for the long read. just hoping one of you guys might have already run into this problem in the past. any help is appreciated.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:07 PM
mod or sell?

it's not likely to be the resistor or relay. it's probably the controller or control head itself.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
mod or sell?

there is a diagnose chart on HA-82 of the FSM
along with all the other pertinent information including wiring diagrams in the HA section of the FSM
Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 PM

thanks Brian. HA-82 is the manual climate control, but the diagnostic procedures for the auto climate control are later in the same section. not sure how i managed to miss the HA section completely, been a long day. i'll post results in a day or two when i get the chance to test things out. thanks again

edit:

on another note, when i removed the Blower HI Relay maybe having it out of the circuit has the same effect as it failing in an open position. (possibly defaulting to blower on high as a safety precaution so windows don't fog?). i'll see if i can find a duplicate relay somewhere else on the max and swap it in. in any case from what i remember before, the blower fan wouldn't come on with accessories, you had to switch it to on. now it blows full blast on acc. with the climate control turned off... ah well i'll break out the multimeter soon and start testing.

Last edited by cachejob; 12-18-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:24 PM
mod or sell?

HA82 in the 94 FSM PDF is ACC, not sure about earlier ones.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I feel so violated...my post got deleted for a legitimate question on which possibly would've shown a factory installed DCC on an SE
Old 12-19-2007, 04:08 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by BlooToof
I feel so violated...my post got deleted for a legitimate question on which possibly would've shown a factory installed DCC on an SE
It's going to look the same as all the other acc systems john.

Who cares if it's an se,gxe,svo,gto,whatever..It doesn't have anything to do with his problem,He has ACC...either help with his problem,or don't post..
Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I think why he's asking is bc, on the se it was a rare option, right john?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:59 AM
mod or sell?

the USDM SE did not have ACC as an option at all.
the canadian models did however have it.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 PM

today's update: took the relay i'd previously removed and swapped it with an identical one, but no change. found the diagnostic self test for the acc control unit. the lcd actually displayed clearly today, and was able to run it through all it's diagnostic stages. unfortunately it passed everything with flying colors.
i haven't had the chance to get to all the terminals on blower/acc control unit etc. to test resistance/voltage yet. hopefully they end up being relatively accessible without removing the dash... i'll let you guys know how it goes when i get time to investigate further.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
I think why he's asking is bc, on the se it was a rare option, right john?
Originally Posted by internetautomar
the USDM SE did not have ACC as an option at all.
the canadian models did however have it.
Yes, thats the reason why I was asking.

And yes Brian pointed out some more of it. I didnt know only Canadian SEs had that option.

Greeny, sometimes its not always about providing an answer but also getting something out of it. How many times have I gotten my threads jacked? check em out
Old 12-21-2007, 04:26 PM

spent an hour and a half or so on it today. removed glove compartment to gain access to some of the connectors. went over everything i could reach with the multimeter. unfortunately it looks like i'll be removing a good portion of the dash to get at the next connectors i need to test, in behind the climate control screen... oh well, maybe i'll fix the caps on the clock while i have it all ripped apart it'll probably be a few days before i make any more progress on it, but i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 PM

got it fixed. ended up being a failed fan control amplifier. it's a part specific to models with auto climate control. it's accessible by removing just the glove box. (wish i'd known that earlier ) when i removed it and pulled back the plastic cover i could see the electrolyte leaking from a few points on the circuit board.

i ended up getting a replacement from Courtesy Nissan in Texas. it was a bit of a gamble, since they didn't have one listed for the SE model. i ordered one for a GXE from the same year, hoping there was no difference from the one they put in the Canadian SEs. so far so good. it's nice to be able to turn the blower fan off once again

i ordered a few other parts at the same time from Courtesy, totaling $170 or so. soon after ordering i was worried to read about people getting charged with border fees/duty almost equivalent to the cost of the parts. fortunately the COD was only $62 when it showed up, a relatively pleasant surprise. still cheaper for a lot of dealer only parts than sourcing locally.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM

nice, did you take any pictures of the repair by any chance?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 PM

no pics. camera died and has yet to be replaced. the part i replaced is this one:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...611_1648_1666&

i found it on this page, part #27177 in the bottom diagram:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...1648_1666.html