3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Hungry Oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Hungry Oil pan

ok, I have no clue whats going on here.

About 8 months ago I had my oil pan replaced after the stock one rusted right through. Anyhow a few weeks after that I was trying to check my oil and realized the last five inches of the dipstick had been 'torn' off. Basically it looked like some deranged animal tried to chew it off.

Anyhow I just ignored it and continued to change my oil on a regular basis
, when I brought the car in last month to have the injectors replaced, the mechanic put in a dipstick he had lying around but said it probably wasnt the right length.

So yesterday I pull that one off, and it's also got the end chewed off, but this time, the end is stuck in the dipstick pipe so I wouldnt be able to put a new one in.

I have no clue what the hell would do that. I've got a new dipstick and pipe on order from the stealership (which the pipe has to be shipped to the dealer from Japan as theres none in north america)

anyhow, hopefully that fixes the problem.. but its still really weird.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:37 PM
mod or sell?

Drop the pan again and fix the tube.
the whole bottom of the dipstick coming off is not unusual, I got my dipstick replacement in a day.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would highly recommend taking everything apart again and having a look. If nothing else, you should now have some shrapnel to clean out of there. And your problem is a new one to me...
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

the dipstick is OBVIOUSLY being hit by something in the oil pan area.....pull the oil pan off again, and when you replace the dipstick again, install it with the oil pan OFF to see where it is routing to. You MAY even try turning the crank with a ratchet to see if anything is coming in contact with the dipstick.

me? i would worry, as that is highly unusual.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 PM

do you actually have to drop the oil pan just to change the pipe that the dipstick goes into? I paid about 600 labour for the oil pan swap. I'd do it on my own now, but it's still a crapload of work.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:12 PM

hmm ok I see what you guys mean. But the second dipstick was chopped within the pipe tubing (since it's currently blocked) So i'm assuming the problem lies within the pipe rather than the oil pan.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM

i dont see how your diptube could possibly destroy your dipstick....if you were able to get it in just fine, then theres nothing in the tube, but if it broke AFTER getting it in, something is wrong down there. something has hit it and jammed it in place, it sounds like.

and wow...if you paid $600 for an oil pan swap....come to nashville, i'll change your oil for $300, and thats a steal!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Whoever did your pan swap forgot to remove the dipstick before installing the pan. I did this on my car, the crankshaft drew it in and ripped off the dipstick handle, thankfully it only ran for a few seconds... you immediately turn off the car when there is a crazy metal grinding sound coming from the engine.

If you've been driving around like this, it is likely that large aluminum chips are now in your oil. They should be caught in the filter though. The pan needs to be removed and cleaned out, same with the oil strainer, and replace the filter. Then get a new dipstick. Better hope there is no permanent damage.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ustfdes
wow...if you paid $600 for an oil pan swap....come to nashville, i'll change your oil for $300, and thats a steal!
LOL damn! How much more to rebuild my VTC's while you're at it?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by smitty124
ok, I have no clue whats going on here.

About 8 months ago I had my oil pan replaced after the stock one rusted right through. Anyhow a few weeks after that I was trying to check my oil and realized the last five inches of the dipstick had been 'torn' off. Basically it looked like some deranged animal tried to chew it off.

Anyhow I just ignored it and continued to change my oil on a regular basis
, when I brought the car in last month to have the injectors replaced, the mechanic put in a dipstick he had lying around but said it probably wasnt the right length.

So yesterday I pull that one off, and it's also got the end chewed off, but this time, the end is stuck in the dipstick pipe so I wouldnt be able to put a new one in.

I have no clue what the hell would do that. I've got a new dipstick and pipe on order from the stealership (which the pipe has to be shipped to the dealer from Japan as theres none in north america)

anyhow, hopefully that fixes the problem.. but its still really weird.
So it was more like the dipstick end breaking off because the oil pan is stressing the dipstick? Or I'm guessing corrosion (based on the chew comment)? How about some pics.

Last edited by Darkwing48; 12-19-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Get Off My Lawn

You've got a lot of good feedback. Something has been installed wrong so that the end of your dipstick is getting directed toward the crank and this is where it is getting "chewed" off.

I hate you went to the dealership. You should have looked in the 4-sale forums. I know I had a dipstick tube lying around myself. Too bad though, I threw it in the garbage yesterday. I don't even want to know what you're paying for this stuff.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:16 AM

In listening to threads here over the years I've heard of many people who've had trouble with the dipstick tip after oil pan removals. The dipstick MUST be removed before the pan is replaced or it will get broken off. Don't know the exact reason here, but a good guess is that the replacement of the pan somehow kinks the wire dipstick. Perhaps the reason the next one broke is that it wasn't the right one and stuck in too far or something. Take it back to the astute perveyors of automotive rehabilitation whom you paid big bucks to originally and have them fix their mess.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:28 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
You've got a lot of good feedback. Something has been installed wrong so that the end of your dipstick is getting directed toward the crank and this is where it is getting "chewed" off.

I hate you went to the dealership. You should have looked in the 4-sale forums. I know I had a dipstick tube lying around myself. Too bad though, I threw it in the garbage yesterday. I don't even want to know what you're paying for this stuff.
it was cheap when I bought one over a year ago.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:24 PM

Okay, well I definitely will be taking the car back to the shop to have the pan pulled and fixed. (my dad thinks we may have to take them to small claims court to have them actually do it)

Anyhow, currently I need to change my oil, I've drained it, but have no idea what the exact amount is that I should replace as I am unable to check the volume.

Anyone know the specific refill amount for a VE?

(matching the volume drained wont work as it may be burning oil and i added seafoam to flush)
Old 12-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

fsm suggests "4qts with oil filter", "3-5/8 without oil filter"...
i am sure these numbers mean oil filter CHANGE...
or maybe im just being dumb and stating the obvious....
thats US measurement, btw
Old 12-24-2007, 06:23 PM

HOLY CRAP.. So I did a seafoam flush, then put in 5w40 Castrol Syntec, and my vtc noise is at least 80% gone.

(off topic, but quite interesting)
Old 12-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by smitty124
HOLY CRAP.. So I did a seafoam flush, then put in 5w40 Castrol Syntec, and my vtc noise is at least 80% gone.

(off topic, but quite interesting)

thats because you broke it
Old 12-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Alex_V

My max (vg though) is 300 miles from an oil change and I'm getting some cold lifter rick no biggie though. I'll change the oil and work and it'll be back to normal.

OTOH my 240 sounds like a diesel fueled subaru boxer if it gets close to an oil change! Several lifters collapse and it runs like crap. I thought I had rod knock at one point! 5 miles after an oil change and its back to smooth running thought!

~Alex