3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VE vtc's/vq35 vtc discussion..

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:44 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

VE vtc's/vq35 vtc discussion..

I picked up my clutch parts from nissan today and asked about VE engine blueprints (seriously), and they gave me a number for nissan's competition department, and said they would be able to send them to me electronically if i wanted. I am trying to figure out a way to keep the oil running properly to the sprocket, indefinately...so that rebuilt VTC's won't die so quickly....or at all.

was going to compare VE blueprints with VQ35 blueprints to find out the difference in oil delivery methods, as the VQ VTC's don't fail like ours...and then try to make some modifications, depending on the layout.

and whosoever may discount this notion.....greenie ......i'm not just talking out of my butt here! my only problem with the VE motor is the VTC failure. diesel FTL.

edit: will continue to post when i have more useful information...i guess?

oh i see where the missing pieces went, wow, i have a personal editor working for me over the wire! FTW!

Last edited by ustfdes; 12-19-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

See what i done there?

Last edited by Greeny; 12-19-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

:____________
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=191081
Old 12-19-2007, 07:14 PM

greenie, you be so slick. ;x
Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

erm... can we see what we missed tho? before greenie worked his magic? i do agree with the notion of VTCs being the only legitimate reason to steer away from a VE, which is a big thing coming from a VG owner.. i'm just being honest tho.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Fox Body FTW

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
erm... can we see what we missed tho? before greenie worked his magic? i do agree with the notion of VTCs being the only legitimate reason to steer away from a VE, which is a big thing coming from a VG owner.. i'm just being honest tho.
I'm going to take a wild guess at this maybe?

Originally Posted by ustfdes
*snip*

and whosoever may discount this notion.....greenie ......i'm not just talking out of my butt here! my only problem with the VE motor is the VTC failure. diesel FTL.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by AM_BlackMax
I'm going to take a wild guess at this maybe?
oh ok. he usually... 'fixes' more than just that.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Fox Body FTW

oh ok. he usually... 'fixes' more than just that.
oh..[i wasn't trying to sound smart, sorry if i did. I just have a very sarcastic sense of humor ]well i didn't see the original myself so i can't say...was just my guess
Old 12-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by AM_BlackMax
oh..[i wasn't trying to sound smart, sorry if i did. I just have a very sarcastic sense of humor ]well i didn't see the original myself so i can't say...was just my guess
it's ok i'm a total a$$ too.

anyhow... so are those blueprints free?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:26 PM

it's ok i'm a total a$$ too.

anyhow... so are those blueprints free?

as far as i know, yes...but i have not yet called....so i can't say for sure....he said since the VE especially is a retired motor i shouldn't have a problem, but the VQ35, i dunno....probably some trade secrets there, so i may only be able to get small segments of them -=\
Old 12-19-2007, 11:30 PM

This sounds interesting, and would be a very useful mod should you figure out a way to do it.

I'm probably going to have mine rebuilt/replaced in the next few months. Im wondering if theres an aftermarket source for a replacement kit. I'm told rebuilt ones usually fail again after a year or so.

There used to be a replacement kit on ebay for about 300, but its no longer there.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:37 AM

could you just run a pipe from the oil pan through a seperate pump, then have it split and run into the top of the vtc chambers?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by smitty124
This sounds interesting, and would be a very useful mod should you figure out a way to do it.

I'm probably going to have mine rebuilt/replaced in the next few months. Im wondering if theres an aftermarket source for a replacement kit. I'm told rebuilt ones usually fail again after a year or so.

There used to be a replacement kit on ebay for about 300, but its no longer there.
No aftermarket company makes a rebuild kit for the vtc assemblies. The rebuild kit is only available through nissan.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...-p-248407.html

could you just run a pipe from the oil pan through a separate pump, then have it split and run into the top of the vtc chambers?

You are not understanding how the vtc assembly works,the variable timing cams use oil pressure from the engine oil pumped through small oil gallies cast into the engine block/heads to advance intake timing...Please read the following thread by MrGone,it explains the inner workings/problems/and possible solutions to permanently fix the vtc's

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=340565

vtc tsb: http://www.mattblehm.com/faq/VTC_tsb.pdf
Old 12-20-2007, 06:38 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

wth.....my posts are being chopped and spliced, and redirected, and reformatted, and RAPED.

will continue to post when i have more useful information...i guess?
No,actually your post was removed/redirected/ from a thread that had nothing to do with all that ish you posted in it.

see what i done there again?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
No,actually your post was removed/redirected/ from a thread that had nothing to do with all that ish you posted in it.

see what i done there again?

someone asked about vtc's, so i responded...maybe with a bit more info than was needed, but still related

Originally Posted by mygreenmax94

i have been looking around for that thing a little bit lately, so thanks go to you sir

Last edited by ustfdes; 12-20-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:38 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

someone asked about vtc's, so i responded...maybe with a bit more info than was needed, but still related
Do you want me to delete this then?

seriously
Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 AM

Do you want me to delete this then?

seriously

no, i do appreciate that you did what you did, as it was most fitting for what i typed, and allows much better feedback from everyone than the original location.

edit: you still scare me in here.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

[/B]

i have been looking around for that thing a little bit lately, so thanks go to you sir
So you still don't read the stickies i c..
Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 AM

So you still don't read the stickies i c..

well i did a search, found nothing, so i moved on, and figured i would look deeper when i get around to calling them ;x

edit: i love the stickies

editx2: and notice, i removed the "raped" comment right after posting, because i saw what you did there
Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 AM

No aftermarket company makes a rebuild kit for the vtc assemblies. The rebuild kit is only available through nissan.
Im aware of that, but I'm looking for an aftermarket replacement kit, not a rebuild. I have seen one for sale on ebay in the past, but that was over a year ago and they dont seem to be sold on there anymore.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 AM

Im aware of that, but I'm looking for an aftermarket replacement kit, not a rebuild. I have seen one for sale on ebay in the past, but that was over a year ago and they dont seem to be sold on there anymore.

iirc, no one else has VTC parts of any kind for us, unless they got it from nissan...
Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

well i did a search, found nothing, so i moved on, and figured i would look deeper when i get around to calling them ;x

edit: i love the stickies

editx2: and notice, i removed the "raped" comment right after posting, because i saw what you did there
heh..But seriously,read read read mrgonads thread,very insightful
Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

you mean the entire vtc sprocket assembly?

or a vtc delete kit?<----- no body makes this that i am aware of..
Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 AM

heh..But seriously,read read read mrgonads thread,very insightful

i am on zee way, thank you

Originally Posted by mygreenmax94
or a vtc delete kit?
blasphemy!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 AM
mod or sell?

there has been talk of how to remove the VTC from use. but without them the motors won't be much fun IMO.
though those with grounded VTCs wouldn't notice the difference, since they have disabled them anyhow.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM

i have had my VTC's grounded since the manifold stud repair, timing advance, egr block, and HAI mod...and honestly, i have MUCH more power than i ever did before (thank you good for the help/ideas/motivation), but my VTC's are so bad that i did a highway test coming back from atlanta, and with the VTC's GROUNDED, i had better top end power than with them UNGROUNDED......i think that shows how far gone they really are.

I have thought about the deletion process....but i have also since decided that the VTC's are not something i want to do away with, due to their innovation and practicality purposes. This is why i am willing to dig a bit deeper into the problem to find a PERMANENT solution.

While you could probably rebuild your engine and remove ALL the old deposits inside, everywhere by "vatting" it (?) and then run it as new with only synthetic oil, and no additives...i'm sure the galleys wouldn't clog up, or would at least take a LOT longer than conventional motor oil would. But that is a temporary fix....any time you use additives or are forced to use conventional oil for some reason or another, you get deposits and sludge, creating a problem yet again.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:10 PM

You've got to make sure that it is an oiling problem and not a bad chain tensioner or VTC spring. My problem was the timing chain tensioner, but the cure is to replace the VTC spring that's lost its spring. Badly deposited engines may have a top end oiling problem, but if yours isn't glopped up, perhaps the repair will work. Mines clack free about a year later .
Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 92 Max
You've got to make sure that it is an oiling problem and not a bad chain tensioner or VTC spring. My problem was the timing chain tensioner, but the cure is to replace the VTC spring that's lost its spring. Badly deposited engines may have a top end oiling problem, but if yours isn't glopped up, perhaps the repair will work. Mines clack free about a year later .
+1

Really though,while you are "in there",there is no sense in not replacing the chain tensioners,like replacing your oil filter when doing an oil change..
Old 12-20-2007, 02:11 PM

good point about the tensioner....i did not overlook that problem....was just focused on the oil problem in itself....however since your problem seeminglay had nothing to do with the clacking, i will look into that when repairing mine.

So.....as it turns out, Nissan Motorsports doesn't have access to engine blueprints/diagrams....they are all kept by japanese headquarters (unless the plant in Deckard, TN has them) and even they have had to chop engines with band saws to slice a block lengthwise to solve oil routing problems before....and said that it would probably be my best bet. BUT, no thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

i recently called nissan and asked my parts guy how much they run a piece and was told each VTC. runs about $550 brand new
Old 12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
i recently called nissan and asked my parts guy how much they run a piece and was told each VTC. runs about $550 brand new
sounds about right..
Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 PM

Actually on mine the chain tensioner WAS the cause of my clacking. As indicated in the Service Bulletin on this problem, the chain tensioners, when loose, sound the same as the VTC clacking, so both must be inspected, and you're right, the tensioners are cheap enough (~$50) to be replaced while you've got this area exposed.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 PM

yeah, the dealer told me each VTC was $595 each......i was like 'wow...'

but yeah, for the longest time i always said the clacking sounded more like a chain slapping a valve cover....as it was much more than just 'clacking'...but it goes away with VTC grounding.....and if i unground them, sometimes it doesnt even come back for a while.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Alex_V

I wonder if just disassembling the engine and hot tanking everything would help and clean out all those oil passages?

I say that like its easy lol. But really its not too bad if you have a little bit of money, an FSM and a clean place to rebuild an engine, and are very meticulous.

~Alex

Old 12-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I know this is soooo gonna get deleted but it'll **** the VE owners off

How about just replacing that clack with a slow VeGgie?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
I wonder if just disassembling the engine and hot tanking everything would help and clean out all those oil passages?

I say that like its easy lol. But really its not too bad if you have a little bit of money, an FSM and a clean place to rebuild an engine, and are very meticulous.

~Alex
that's what i meant by 'vatting' the engine.

and john, mother eff A veegee....i'm a VE guy, and won't change that unless i find one for really cheap.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 PM

yeah, the dealer told me each VTC was $595 each......i was like 'wow...'

but yeah, for the longest time i always said the clacking sounded more like a chain slapping a valve cover....as it was much more than just 'clacking'...but it goes away with VTC grounding.....and if i unground them, sometimes it doesnt even come back for a while.
That may be the difference. I tried grounding the VTC solenoids and couldn't tell any difference. Since my clacking was more intermittant this test was not definitive for me.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 PM

That may be the difference. I tried grounding the VTC solenoids and couldn't tell any difference. Since my clacking was more intermittant this test was not definitive for me.

the timing chain tensioner might be the thing to check for you then, as it was mentioned earlier in the thread
Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM

the timing chain tensioner might be the thing to check for you then, as it was mentioned earlier in the thread
By Me.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 PM

By Me.
oh jesus, my apologies, i was tired

Quick Reply: VE vtc's/vq35 vtc discussion..