3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Automatic maxima won't shift from park

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM

Automatic maxima won't shift from park

I went out yesterday to replace a couple rear lights. After i had all of the bulbs changed, we went to make sure they all worked. We put the car in reverse to check that bulb, it was fine. About an hr later, i went to drive the car, and it wouldn't shift out of park unless I pushg down the shiftlock release. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by seang86
I went out yesterday to replace a couple rear lights. After i had all of the bulbs changed, we went to make sure they all worked. We put the car in reverse to check that bulb, it was fine. About an hr later, i went to drive the car, and it wouldn't shift out of park unless I pushg down the shiftlock release. Does anyone know why this is happening?
probably the brake light fuse. verify that you installed the bulbs correctly and that they light up when you step on the pedal.

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...horted%20bulb/
i had this problem and i had to tap a bulb back into place, but the terminal sparked and caused them to melt

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 01-06-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 PM

The bulbs all seem to be working. One of the brake lights isn't actually hooked up because the previous owner did some ghetto setup. He melted the wires to the bulb so it would work. We had to cut it out. Could that have something to do with it.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

The bulbs all seem to be working. One of the brake lights isn't actually hooked up because the previous owner did some ghetto setup. He melted the wires to the bulb so it would work. We had to cut it out. Could that have something to do with it.
can you take pictures of the wiring/sockets and stuff? i don't quite get what you guys did.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Cameras actually busted. The best way to describe what we did is....

The one brake light bulb was melted to the wires. We clipped the wires to get it out, so now there is one bulb not there and the wires are cut. If you look at the panel there are 4 bulb plugs. (my maxima is a 93) the top left bulb is the one we clipped.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Cameras actually busted. The best way to describe what we did is....

The one brake light bulb was melted to the wires. We clipped the wires to get it out, so now there is one bulb not there and the wires are cut. If you look at the panel there are 4 bulb plugs. (my maxima is a 93) the top left bulb is the one we clipped.
but you say that all 5 remaining bulbs light up when you push the brake, correct?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

"5" includes the rear side marker...?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Alex_V

Hes probably including the trunk mounted/spoiler mounted center brake light.

~Alex

Old 01-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

that *might* make sence, but then "9" would fit more....
Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

on a GXE there are 6 bulbs that come on when you depress the brake. 2 left, 2 CHMSL, 2 right. sidemarkers don't count b/c they only come on w/ the parking lights, not the brakes.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
mod or sell?

I went out yesterday to replace a couple rear lights. After i had all of the bulbs changed, we went to make sure they all worked. We put the car in reverse to check that bulb, it was fine. About an hr later, i went to drive the car, and it wouldn't shift out of park unless I pushing down the shiftlock release. Does anyone know why this is happening?
I assume you aren't hearing a click from next to the shifter. if you are hearing a click then I have no clue. if you aren't then you have several things to check.
1. the interlock solenoid itself, make sure voltage is getting to it and that it can move in and out
2. the brake switch, make sure that voltage gets to it, and that when pressed voltage goes out to the solenoid
3. wiring, do a continuity check that will make sure the wire isn't damaged
4. Relay, swap it out with a known good one (relay is in kick panel)
You can remove the solenoid if you really want and avoid having the issue ever again, however you will then be able to shift the car even when it's off.

Last edited by internetautomar; 01-07-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I assume you aren't hearing a click from next to the shifter. if you are hearing a click then I have no clue. if you aren't then you have several things to check.
1. the interlock solenoid itself, make sure voltage is getting to it and that it can move in and out
2. the brake switch, make sure that voltage gets to it, and that when pressed voltage goes out to the solenoid
3. wiring, do a continuity check that will make sure the wire isn't damaged
You can remove the solenoid if you really want and avoid having the issue ever again, however you will then be able to shift the car even when it's off.

I am going to try your advice. Your right, i don't hear the clicking when i push the pedal. I have no clue how to do any of the three things you just mentioned. I don't really care how I have to fix it, i just dont want to have the push the release every time i want to go somewhere.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What's all this talk about bulbs?? This is a shift lock problem.

Before you do anything I would get in there and clean the shift lock mechanism and try to operate it manually. I dealt with this for about a week and got all the advice re: switch on the brake pedal, shift lock solenoid, relay in the kick panel. In the end it was just stuck and by getting in there and moving it myself I fixed it.

If that doesn't help see internetautomar's post.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 PM

Yea, i was just explaining what i had done to lead up to this. wasn't sure if it had anything to do with it. unless it's an easy fix, i just want to take the solenoid out and be done with it. I dont feel like messing around with it. I only have it to drive so i dont mess up my new car.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I only have it to drive so i don't mess up my new car.
You don't want to mess up your new car?

Is it made of glass?

Sorry dude,but that seems a little retarded.

Last edited by Greeny; 01-07-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM

On the topic of shiftlock... my shiftlock only works with the ignition on, any other position or with the key out, the transmission is free to be shifted... why?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
You don't want to mess up your new car?

Is it made of glass?

Sorry dude,but that seems a little retarded.

I have a 9 month old mustang sitting in my driveway, i bought the maxima for the winter so my mustang doesn't get wrecked in bad weather. It's a pretty smart move since i still have 5 years to pay for the car bud.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by augiedog964
On the topic of shiftlock... my shiftlock only works with the ignition on, any other position or with the key out, the transmission is free to be shifted... why?
huh?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:18 PM

I have a 9 month old mustang sitting in my driveway, i bought the maxima for the winter so my mustang doesn't get wrecked in bad weather. It's a pretty smart move since i still have 5 years to pay for the car bud.
Thats your choice but thats why you drive carefully and insure well.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
huh?
I mean that with the car off, or with the key in acc, i can simply push in the button on my shifter and move it wherever, but when I put the key in the on position, the button locks and i need to push in the brake. It is only a problem because when im out of the car, people found they can shift to neutral and roll my car where they please
Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I mean that with the car off, or with the key in acc, i can simply push in the button on my shifter and move it wherever, but when I put the key in the on position, the button locks and i need to push in the brake. It is only a problem because when im out of the car, people found they can shift to neutral and roll my car where they please
Thats why nissan also put door locks on the car..
Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 PM

well the culprits were inside the car when I stepped out, it was a joke, and it doesnt really concern me, I just wondered if this is normal operation.....?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

well the culprits were inside the car when I stepped out, it was a joke, and it doesnt really concern me, I just wondered if this is normal operation.....?
yes...normal..
Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Sarcasm... It sounds like it according to the manual, but i can't imagine it is
Old 01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sarcasm... It sounds like it according to the manual, but i can't imagine it is
What kind of proof are you looking for that nothing is wrong with your car?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 PM

just wondered if anyone knew anything about it, but I don't want to end up making anyone angry, so i'll drop it. Sorry about confusion
Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

just wondered if anyone knew anything about it, but I don't want to end up making anyone angry, so i'll drop it. Sorry about confusion
No one is angry,it's just kinda silly when you come here asking for help/assistance from us,we give you the answer,then you question if we are right..

I could make you a video..
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by crabapple
What's all this talk about bulbs?? This is a shift lock problem.

Before you do anything I would get in there and clean the shift lock mechanism and try to operate it manually. I dealt with this for about a week and got all the advice re: switch on the brake pedal, shift lock solenoid, relay in the kick panel. In the end it was just stuck and by getting in there and moving it myself I fixed it.

If that doesn't help see internetautomar's post.
shift lock solenoid will NOT receive a brake signal if the brake fuse has blown. and usually a blown brake fuse indicates a problem w/ bulbs or wiring. I found this out first-hand when i had a bad bulb that kept blowing the fuse, relegating me to using the shift lock release switch.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

my car DOES NOT operate in that fashion. my button is un-pushable in park regardless what the key is doing, UNLESS i depress the brake. I can be in ACC and still have to operate the shiftlock release to shift. only in RUN with the brake depressed does the solenoid flick the lock out of the way.

i have a spare shifter, except it has 2 broken studs on it, so it's basically only good for parts.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM

Well, capedcadaver was right. I replaced the bulb panel on friday and then I had to replace the fuse friday night because nothing worked. After doing that, the shiftlock started working again.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
my car DOES NOT operate in that fashion. my button is un-pushable in park regardless what the key is doing, UNLESS i depress the brake. I can be in ACC and still have to operate the shiftlock release to shift. only in RUN with the brake depressed does the solenoid flick the lock out of the way.

i have a spare shifter, except it has 2 broken studs on it, so it's basically only good for parts.

Hmmmm I sometimes have problems with the shifter if I park with my steering wheel cockeyed. I have to fight with it to get it straight again.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 AM

I replace this and it work for one day guess i need to buy a new one
Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mthomas002
I replace this and it work for one day guess i need to buy a new one
not necessarily, it may have been damaged by whatever failure caused the original one to fail.
Randomly changing parts is rarely a good idea.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:18 PM

I know but i got that part from a junkyard, before i put that part in it wasnt doin anything. That part could be damage. Im happy it work for that day, I still couldnt stop myself from reaching down there to push that button

Oh I did have water damage from my heater core leaking

Goin to see if i can buy a new one.

Last edited by mthomas002; 02-18-2008 at 01:22 PM.