5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Slipping / Hitting rev limiter after TransGo kit install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Slipping / Hitting rev limiter after TransGo kit install

02 Max, took it to a shop to have transgo kit installed (RE4F04B).

After picking up the car and slowly breaking in the new shift kit (2 times slowly through all gears at part throttle), I began to notice at 3/4 throttle there is some slipping going on and at WOT it is hitting the rev limiter and hanging up. After driving and parking, codes P0740 (Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction) and P0745 (Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction) came up and I took it back to the shop and parked it for them to look at tomorrow, since they were already closed for the night.

The fluid levels checked out fine and I reset the codes, but I've heard some having problems like this after transgo installation. One fix was redraining and adding fluid again. Or is this something the computer just needs time to relearn or fluid to get to where it is supposed to go? Or is it something the shop did wrong?

Any ideas or technical help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by SmokinMax02; 08-05-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:35 PM

Has to have been an install issue. I've never had any slipping or codes.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:08 AM

Never had one tranny code before or after the kit. Did you have codes before the install? If not then something wasn't done right
Old 08-06-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Never had one tranny code before or after the kit. Did you have codes before the install? If not then something wasn't done right
No codes before install. Tranny shifted like butter before all this.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Install issue. Shop is responsible. Make sure to stay on them about it.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 PM

Shop destroyed your tranny
Old 08-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Old 08-07-2015, 06:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by george__
Shop destroyed your tranny
Nope.

It's only a VB. Same thing happened to mine years ago. Butter smooth/crisp 1-2, looooooooooooooong 2-3. Sent it back, they sent me a new one, perfect even since, 10+ years later.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:00 AM

Yeah, don't worry. When you get a working VB with the shift kit, the wait will totally have been worth it.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I recall there being a TSB regarding a ground wire associated with the solenoid pack causing some slip issues and subsequent codes. It will be necessary for them to perform the appropriate diagnostics of course, but I think the above mentioned feedback likely answers the question.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 PM

Told him about the grounds and the tsb and everything checked out good. Going to pressure test everything tomorrow.

Another thought, could this be a computer problem and just needs reflashed or left off the neg terminal for a few hours? Im out of ideas. Anyone?

Last edited by SmokinMax02; 08-12-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:15 PM

Transmission pressure test came back ok. The pump and everything is working up to specs. Also reflashed the ECU and relearned everything, to no avail.

Gears hang from 1-2 at 3k rpm on light throttle and then shift, 2-3 doesn't shift until about 4k rpm depending on throttle position, 3-4 shifts like normal. Downshifting is perfect and can really feel the difference from the kit. However, going WOT in any gear causes it to hit the rev limiter and still until I let off. Hitting the rev limiter ONLY happens after it is fully warmed up and it shifts a little smoother while cool and during the warmup process.

Could this be a solenoid problem? And could the solenoid pack have been damaged during the process of installation? I don't know, but it really seems like something simple is going on here. I had no problems whatsoever when I took it in to get the transgo kit installed. Trans shifted smooth as silk. Also going to check the drop resistor and make sure everything is hooked up correctly. Here's a list of problems that trigger P0745 (which keeps coming back btw).

Common Problems That Trigger the P0745 Code

Defective Pressure Solenoid
Defective Pressure Solenoid wiring or connector
Defective Valve Body
Dirty transmission fluid that restricts the hydraulic passages

I also noticed when the shop owner had the valve body in 3 pieces that he was using red shop rags that had previously been used and washed. Could it be as simple as dirty transmission fluid that is restricting hydraulic passages?

Will upload a video asap. Thanks.

Last edited by SmokinMax02; 08-12-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Wait, you're still using the drop resistor mod? Remove that and check back.

I cant be certain about your other issues, but I will say this. When I hammer down on Monique, especially after first having the HD2 installed, the TCU just struggled many times to kick in the signal (or perhaps for solenoids to respond) for the transmission to shift. I don't believe hitting the rev limiter is uncommon - rather a side effect when hammering down. I found that paying attention and slightly lifting off throttle right before it begins to reach redline helps facilitate the shift.

You say it feels like its slipping. I didn't feel that with mine, but initially I had extremely harsh shifts. So bad I was close to posting my installed kit for sale and just swapping someone's unmodified tranny innerds. Upon an inspection under the car, I found a worn torque mount and busted front motor mount. Replaced them and my shifts were smooth as butter. My point is - check under the car and the mounts to ensure something else isn't contributing to what you're feeling.

My only other thought is that there is an install error.
Perhaps the shop should call Transgo tech support for guidance to address the issue.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Wait, you're still using the drop resistor mod? Remove that and check back.
I think you misread or something. I said we were going to CHECK the drop resistor (ohms) to make sure it is working properly and follow the wiring to make sure it everything is hooked up correctly. There is no drop resistor modification like on Jime's. I would only use that for track purposes if I was going to use it all, not daily.

I don't believe hitting the rev limiter is uncommon - rather a side effect when hammering down. I found that paying attention and slightly lifting off throttle right before it begins to reach redline helps facilitate the shift.
I had this same shift kit put on another maxima several years ago, never had a problem with hitting rev limiter or slipping. (Similar mods, and same tranny)

Perhaps the shop should call Transgo tech support for guidance to address the issue.
Yeah, that was step 1. They weren't not much help, if at all. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by SmokinMax02; 08-12-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 PM

Update:

So trouble shooting code P0745, one of the first things it calls to check is the fluid level and see if the fluid is dirty or not. Fluid level was perfect. Next step, check the fluids condition. So we dropped the pan today and it turns out the brand new fluid (red line) that was just put in (about 15 miles put on it) was EXTREMELY dirty, almost black, with black particles or specs found in the brand new trans filter and some floating about around the valve body. Flushed and cleaned the filter and ordered more Red line fluid. Will give an update tomorrow. (crosses fingers)
Old 08-12-2015, 10:12 PM

If new fluid doesn't work, here are the next steps:

P0745 Line pressure solenoid valve

(Possible causes)

- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty line pressure solenoid valve
- Line pressure solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Line pressure solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection

One of these could possibly be the cause of your issue: a dirty transmission fluid, transmission fluid could be low, the solenoid valves could have loose connection, or it just has a faulty solenoid valves

(Found Solutions)

- (drop resistor, wires inside valve body) There are two wires that are in different locations. Once I track the wires going to the TCM from the trans plug. It came down to swapping them into the right plugs and pin positions. One went to the dropping resistor. I got the wiring schematic from autozone web site it gave me all the wiring schematic for my car. On this site they gave me a fix to try first. If you are going to do the work yourself the transmission pan has to be dropped. It can be done in the car.
- (drop resistor) I took my car down to a transmission shop and had them look at it. I was there for about 15 minutes and they solved the problem by replacing the freaking dropping resistor on the left strut tower behind the airbox.
- (drop resistor) The Pressure solenoid is inside the transmission and it helps regulate the pressure from the trans fluid pump. There is also a "Drop resistor", that controls the voltage from the ECM to the solenoid. If the resistor fail, it can also trigger the same code. The resistor is located in the engine compartment.
- I was getting the code P0745. My mechanic said it wasn't the transmission or the wiring harness. The problem was under the dash a swith that converts 12 volts to 8 volts for the computer. It was on the trans computer the blue rectangle box it has a silver attachement the resistor that was the part.
- TPS?

- Where the 4 lip seals and spring seated in the AT before you reinstalled the VB?

VBlipsealsandspring.jpg?t=1359215896

Was the manual valve shaft lined up correctly?

P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction

(all data) The
torque converter clutch torque converter clutch
solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the TCM in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and throttle position sensor. Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low. When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8 in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

- Torque Converter clutch solenoid valve
- Harness or connectors (The solenoid circuit is open or shorted.)
- The
TCC Solenoid Valve TCC Solenoid Valve
. Please refer to the link below, starting on page AT-151.
- I had the hard shifting on my Altima, and they are common for faulty grounds on the shifter solenoid. So when you are changing the filter, check to make sure that all the ground on the shifter solenoids are good. Just grab them and make sure they are tight.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2001/AT.pdf

Diagnostic Procedure

1: CHECK VALVE RESISTANCE
between ground and terminal # 5..(bottom left) .should be between 10 - 20 ohms
2: CHECK VALVE OPERATION

3: CHECK POWER SOURCE CIRCUIT

4: CHECK DTC

5: CHECK TCM INSPECTION

---------------------------------------------------------

(for reference when reassembling the vb and solenoids)

(Reassembling the Solenoid pack, step by step, all data)

Solenoid Valve Assembly Replacement (or in your case TCC solenoid only, but same procedure, just leave the other 3 alone)
IMPORTANT : Maintain absolute cleanliness when working on or handling any of the internal transaxle components. Use lint-free rags and make sure dirt and debris do not come in contact with any of the internal transaxle components. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: EVER HEARD OF THE RED TOWEL DISEASE?....THE RED TOWELS PEOPLE USE TO WIPE OIL,ETC OFF LEAVES SMALL PEICES OF "LINT" IN THE TRANNY. EVEN THIS WILL SCREW UP THE TRANNY AS THE VB VALLEYS ARE VERY SMALL)

- Disconnect the
vehicle harness connector vehicle harness connector
from the solenoid valve
assembly harness connector assembly harness connector
(see Figure 1). Then, remove the snap ring from the solenoid harness connector (see Figure 1).
- Push down on the solenoid harness terminal connector to remove it from the connector body hole.
- Remove ONLY the thirteen 10-mm bolts, which are shown in black and called out with arrows in Figure 2, that hold the
control valve assembly control valve assembly
to the transaxle. Then, remove the
control valve assembly control valve assembly
. NOTE : Be careful not to drop the manual valve shaft, the servo release accumulator return spring or the lip seals. Also be careful not to damage the control valve assembly sealing gasket.
- IMPORTANT : If the support plate bolts are accidentally loosened or removed, hold the support plates (on the other side of the valve body) with a suitable tool and re-tighten the support plate bolts to 3.4 - 4.4 Nm (0.35 - 0.45 kg-m, 30.4 - 39.1 in-lb). Refer to Figure 3. When re-tightening the support plate bolts, make sure the support plates are positioned so they do not cover the holes next to the support plates (see Figure 3).
- Remove the solenoid valve assembly from the control valve assembly (see Figure 4).
- Inspect the new solenoid valve assembly and confirm the O-ring(s) for each solenoid valve is properly seated in the O-ring groove. Also confirm there is no damage or cuts on any of the O-rings. Replace damaged O-rings (see Figure 5 below for the O-ring P/Ns).
- Lubricate each solenoid valve O-ring with Nissan Matic-D ATF.
- Install the new solenoid valve assembly onto the control valve assembly. Then use an appropriate torque wrench to tighten all mounting bolts to 7 - 9 Nm (61 - 78 in-lbs). See Figure 4.
- IMPORTANT : The solenoid valve assembly is secured with bolts of varying lengths. Make sure the bolts are re-installed in their original locations (see Figure 4).
- Inspect the four lip seals on the transaxle to ensure they are in their original locations and are not damaged or dislodged (see Figure 6). Replace damaged lip seals (lip seal P/N: 31528-31X06). NOTE : Damaged or dislodged lip seals will cause improper shifting.
- Position the control valve assembly on the transaxle ensuring the manual valve shaft correctly engages the manual plate (see Figure 7) and install all mounting bolts in their original locations finger tight at first (see Figure 8). Then, using an appropriate torque wrench tighten all mounting bolts in a crisscross pattern to 7 - 9 Nm (61 - 78 in-lbs).
- IMPORTANT :The control valve assembly is secured with bolts of varying lengths. Make sure the bolts are re-installed in their original locations (see Figure 8).
- Position and re-connect the solenoid valve assembly wire harness as follows:
- Clean the inside surface of the transaxle hole for the harness connector body.
- Inspect the harness connector body O-ring for damage or cuts. If damaged, replace the O-ring (O-ring P/N: 31526-31X12).
- Lubricate the harness connector body O-ring with Nissan Matic-D ATF.
- Insert the harness connector body in the transaxle connector body hole and re-install the snap ring on the connector body If the snap ring is damaged, replace it (O-ring P/N: 31506-80X11).
- Connect the vehicle harness to the solenoid harness connector.
- Clean the transaxle oil pan

Last edited by SmokinMax02; 08-12-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:48 PM

Reinstalled VB with the kit, changed new fluid that was extremely dirty with only 15 miles on it. Still no change. Shop is ordering a brand new valve body w/new solenoids (back to factory VB) to swap in, if everything goes back to normal, they are shipping the one with the transgo kit installed off to Maximum Tuning to get it fixed right, at their expense. Also going to try changing out the drop resistor with a used spare one I have, just in case. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 PM

Good thing they're covering the expense. Things just got very expensive for them. I'm hoping this works out well in the end. Something is not right if the fluid was ruined though. If anything, a almost half, if not more, of the fluid should be new after the VB drop.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:25 AM

Updates ?? what happened