3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Capedcadavers tranny swap blog..;-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Wiking
Oh boy. Why play with a treadmill paddles and stick if hydraulics cando the work?

Phasta did just this error, then wrote some howTo -pages... check the lost swede on CarDomain.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/749143/3
Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Yes thanks, there he & she sits... But as can seen from these connectors, he made also other grave errors. Alas he had no time left to feel how oxidation on these would make maxima stutter... So whatever u do, do solder the wire junctions and use shrink tube and/or vulcanizing rubbertape for insulation. And drive carefully.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Oh boy. Why play with a treadmill paddles and stick if hydraulics cando the work?

Phasta did just this error, then wrote some howTo -pages... check the lost swede on CarDomain.

haha you act as though driving a manual transmission is like disarming a nuclear device. it's all about rhythm, dude.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 02-19-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: quoted wrong post
Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
haha you act as though driving a manual transmission is like disarming a nuclear device. it's all about rhythm, dude.
All he was saying was to not use the wire connectors, to use solder on the wires,then cover the wire, otherwise you will have corrosion issues. and a friendly reminder to drive careful.

Don't even start with the flames because you misunderstood him.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:43 AM
mod or sell?

he was referring to wikings earlier post
I believe.

Not everyone wants a manual transmission, myself included.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

All he was saying was to not use the wire connectors, to use solder on the wires,then cover the wire, otherwise you will have corrosion issues. and a friendly reminder to drive careful.

Don't even start with the flames because you misunderstood him.
Originally Posted by internetautomar

I believe.

what brian said. i quoted the wrong post.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I believe.

what brian said. i quoted the wrong post.
Doesn't matter, he misunderstood him either way. the wiking flames stop here and now, period.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Alex_V

Its wayy more fun, gets better mpg and is more reliable. Cars also lighter. No loss situation unless you live in a place like chicago. But brians just lazy :P

~Alex

Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Doesn't matter, he misunderstood him either way. the wiking flames stop here and now, period.
i wasn't flaming anyone.... my sarcasm is just apparently unapparent at times. maybe i need to use more smilies to make my intent more clear? because written words are much harder to know how you are saying it rather than what you are saying. Wiking's my buddy whether he knows it or not. I got nothing on him, or against him, so anything I say to him that appears to be an insult is definitely just me joking around.

my line "it's all about rhythm, dude" was meant to flow like "cuz rock and roll ain't no riddle man. naw, to me, it makes good-good sense." from Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution by ACDC
Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
mod or sell?

i wasn't flaming anyone.... my sarcasm is just apparently unapparent at times. maybe i need to use more smilies to make my intent more clear? because written words are much harder to know how you are saying it rather than what you are saying. Wiking's my buddy whether he knows it or not. I got nothing on him, or against him, so anything I say to him that appears to be an insult is definitely just me joking around.

my line "it's all about rhythm, dude" was meant to flow like "cuz rock and roll ain't no riddle man. naw, to me, it makes good-good sense." from Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution by ACDC
Thunderstruck is on the radio right now
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Thunderstruck is on the radio right now
Thank you brian.... thank you... :sigh:

about to go outside and dismantle the parts car while waiting for my GXE to come home tonight. thing kicked it 1.8 miles from my driveway. at the speed limit that was 3 minutes. what's 1.8 miles out of 161,500? sheesh.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 02-19-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

taking a bathroom break, also need to drag my worklight outside too. GXE is still at the restaurant. bringing her home tonight thanks to my friend's brother, who has towing chains and a V8 work truck (they pull each other out of the mud fairly regularly when they go 4-wheeling in the woods).

pedals are out. clutch master cylinder is begging to be removed as well. its time will come... removing everything in the way of safely removing the clutch hydraulics: battery/tray, intake, etc. dash is out, shifter boot safely tucked in the door pocket w/ the ****. will take that down tonight too, and have nothing left on the car but the axles and tranny. getting breaker bar tomorrow morning to do the "hard work". so far so good. parts car looks like a trainwreck on the inside but who cares? it's a parts car. nothing terribly pic-worthy as of yet. does anyone care whether i do a writeup or not?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

post the carnage, anyway!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey bud i jus saw videos of ur car and ur cars sounds preety heavy like a muscle car and i have 92 maxima SE and i was jus wondring wat did u do to make it sound really heavy. i have a magna flow muffler but it sounds like a pure tuner car not muscle u know wat i mean....so if u tell me wut did u do wit ur car i will appreciate it...thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maxima_beast
hey bud i jus saw videos of ur car and ur cars sounds preety heavy like a muscle car and i have 92 maxima SE and i was jus wondring wat did u do to make it sound really heavy. i have a magna flow muffler but it sounds like a pure tuner car not muscle u know wat i mean....so if u tell me wut did u do wit ur car i will appreciate it...thanks
oh you mean the loud-**** parts car? it's called a snapped-in-half ypipe. The bluegray rusty one is my parts car.

my GXE on the other hand, has 2 broken studs, it's the cream colored one w/o rust and it's relatively quiet. this is how my GXE sounds
Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

UPDATE: in addition to the pedals.. the entirety of the clutch hydraulic system is now removed. unfortunately i could not loosen the stupid line to unscrew from the master cylinder without stripping it (out of 3 possible angles, my wrench could only fit in for one of them... so i can disconnect it now, now that it is off the car), so i had to improvise in getting the system out as a whole piece. but no harm, no foul... it all came out intact. shifter is next, once i get my tools out from under the hood. Then once the GXE is home i'll tear it up a little bit, mainly just getting the shifter OUT and i guess the dash can stay in this time.. I just tore out the parts car's dash so i could see where everything is. Now i know so i won't have to tear my GXE dash out unless i really hit a blind spot.

carnage seekers, click here. pics uploading... there should be 8 right now so if you don't see them all, you know why
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Damm man that sucks that your tranny went but at least you were some what ready for it. I hope the swap goes well for you
Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by vernk
Damm man that sucks that your tranny went but at least you were some what ready for it. I hope the swap goes well for you
i hate to think where i'd be without you though.... totally screwed.

2 more pics in the Photobucket.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

lunchtime update:
my GXE is home safe, and we took off the hood, intake, battery/tray, shifter, and axle nuts so far. long way to go on the GXE...

on the parts car.... got the axles to separate from the hubs (ran into some VERY stuck bolts.. had to remove the torque member on the driver side to get the ratchet to fit w/ a breaker bar on it). shifter rod is disconnected but i haven't taken out the support rod bracket yet. suppoert rod bushing is MUSHY. i'll worry about that later. shifter feels great when driving the parts car last week so it'll be fine. only thing left before 5spd tranny removal is drain and pull axles... then the bolts and mounts and it's down.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

nighttime update:
15 new pics http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...-speed%20swap/
on the 89SE parts car: both axles are out.. shifter rods clear of the bracketry, tranny drained... only thing left is to unbolt and drop. then take the clutch/pp/flywheel, and to take out the shifter assembly (forgot to do it during daylight... stupid me)

90GXE main Max:
both axles out. still need to undo tranny cooler lines and TC-to-flexplate bolts before tranny can be removed. shifter is out. body still not prepped for clutch pedal or master cylinder. wiring not yet prepped for manual either.

i fell asleep at the keyboard... this should have posted around 2am... haha

aaaaaanyhow..
Morning update: no work done yet today... had to run an errand for my lazy father. using my grandpa's spare car (pimpmobile... 84 Olds Cutty Supreme). to take something to my mom's workplace 20 miles away.

since i have no help today, I am going to be forced to do it the "safe way" aka buying a real transmission jack, rather than using a floor jack and a friend. the 5speed should be mounted today... i'll worry about the bits and pieces later. hopefully i can at least get the seals redone and get the axles back in before the night is out. it's supposed to rain tomorrow and i don't want moistrue getting into the tranny.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 AM
I can has?

nighttime update:
15 new pics http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...-speed%20swap/
on the 89SE parts car: both axles are out.. shifter rods clear of the bracketry, tranny drained... only thing left is to unbolt and drop. then take the clutch/pp/flywheel, and to take out the shifter assembly (forgot to do it during daylight... stupid me)

90GXE main Max:
both axles out. still need to undo tranny cooler lines and TC-to-flexplate bolts before tranny can be removed. shifter is out. body still not prepped for clutch pedal or master cylinder. wiring not yet prepped for manual either.

i fell asleep at the keyboard... this should have posted around 2am... haha

aaaaaanyhow..
Morning update: no work done yet today... had to run an errand for my lazy father. using my grandpa's spare car (pimpmobile... 84 Olds Cutty Supreme). to take something to my mom's workplace 20 miles away.

since i have no help today, I am going to be forced to do it the "safe way" aka buying a real transmission jack, rather than using a floor jack and a friend. the 5speed should be mounted today... i'll worry about the bits and pieces later. hopefully i can at least get the seals redone and get the axles back in before the night is out. it's supposed to rain tomorrow and i don't want moistrue getting into the tranny.
Haha, damn... You make me look bad. My parts car has been sitting in the driveway for months now. My "swap" progress today was opening the door, touching a few wires by the clutch pedal, sitting down on the seat, thinking, getting back out, and going inside. Haha. Initiative is lacking when you have no helper

Looks like it's going smooth for you though, good job so far. All I have left to do is lower the tranny.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Haha, damn... You make me look bad. My parts car has been sitting in the driveway for months now. My "swap" progress today was opening the door, touching a few wires by the clutch pedal, sitting down on the seat, thinking, getting back out, and going inside. Haha. Initiative is lacking when you have no helper

Looks like it's going smooth for you though, good job so far. All I have left to do is lower the tranny.
haha. yeah, that's what i was like the morning of the day my TC blew. and every day before. just sitting in the car... running the shifter through the gears a few times, wondering what it'd be like to actually have it in my "real" maxima..

mid-afternoon update:
  • 89SE parts car: only thing left to do is remove PP/Clutch/flywheel and shifter. the shifter is being a PITA but it's not as important as prepping the GXE so i gave up on the shifter for now. basically.. one stud snapped, and the other three are spinning against the bracket, but still in place. tried drilling through them... they started spinning with the drill. i guess i can put my ratchet back down there on the nut at the bottom and keep drilling.. i may do that. but i'd rather grind the studs in two.. and just get new bolts from a hardware store. rear tranny mount bracket is still on.. but the lower half of the rear mount, and the whole front mount are off.
  • 90GXE main Max: lower trans bolts are out... tranny is strapped to the tranny jack.. just have to de-mount, undo the TC from the flexplate, and drop. then she's ready to get some 5spd luvin.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

evening update:
23ish new pics.
  • 89SE parts car: same story. shifter still halfway bolted in and the rear trans mount is still on the body. clutch/pp/flywheel still sitting pretty on the crank. i haven't touched it since about 3pm. manual transmission, GXE axles, clutchware, pedals, and everything else are inside the passenger cabin while the rain falls tonight and tomorrow
  • 90GXE main Max: only thing left to remove is shift cable and flexplate. YEYAH!

ohhhh boy. so after lunch i went ahead and got a 27mm socket from pepboys for the crank nut. then i went and reviewed Phasta's a/t removal writeup (thanks for the link Wiking) for any final details i may have missed. then i removed all the engine-to-tranny bolts, loosened the tranny-to-engine bolts, pried the gap with a screwdriver and pulled the access plate down. then i got the flexplate-to-TC bolts out and started working on making DAMN sure that i wasn't going to snag any wires, hoses, or small animals upon the a/t's descent. all clear. i belted the tranny onto the jack and undid the bolts and the mounts. thought that was good. tried to drop it the first time around 7:30 but the rear mount was just disconnected from the body, not removed. so i removed the rest of the mount and kept going. i also removed a random bracket (dunno where the heck it went to) on accident when blindly loosening a bolt under the future home of the clutch master cylinder.i actually had to re-bolt the tranny to the engine b/c i actually had the jack strap AROUND the mount, so i had to re-route it so i bolted it back up w/ 2 bolts to be on the safe side. this time it came down fine, around 8:00. now. you'd think that was it, right? tranny is lowered. WRONG!!! the genius i have for a brother, whose task was to jack the car up as high as possible and put jackstands under it, DID max his jack out as i asked. but he jacked from the rocker panel, NOT from the frame rail. that cost me a few precious inches that i needed to slide the a/t out from under the fender. sooooo after turning the transmission around 90 degrees at a time and trying to find a way to get it out (stupid charcoal canister getting in my way) and wasting about a half an hour... i finally turned the tranny back to its original direction, loosened the strap, and shoved it off the jack. BIG BIG MISTAKE. the TC flew off and about a quart and a half of ATF spilled onto the naked driveway... my grandpa is not gonna be happy with the stain b/c we are fresh out of kitty litter since the last cat died a few years ago. started raining so i tossed the hoods over the engine bays, rounded up my tools, put imporant parts inside the parts car, and called it a night. sometime around 9:45
Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MVI_1231.flv
and here's a short video of my first attempt to drop the a/t around 7:30.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 AM

... drop the a/t around 7:30.
Wikinlandia Around 8:30:
I waited the rust to get hot. It did, all snow [all-most] melted. This morning I decided either to drop the tranny like you - or to go picking strawberries...

Opened my shades around 8:30 - this is what I saw. Palmtrees swinging in the mornin breeze, seagulls playing in the sea... (!?) Hmm. Ok. Me Needs lorry load of blowtorchies. This is why I decided to trek on this maximaorg side of the digit all -Globe...

Revealed to yall ppl: My beautifully dressed spareparts maxima... I hope you can define with this clear pic whats its Reverse prblem.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 AM

Always dreamed of getting a dream automatic = spent years in sticky city traffic and now fed up with the rhytms Maxima A/T works like a thought [dont count blondies] --- IF electronics are well tuned.

Racing is another matter, there the stick is a must, but I think basic maxima isnt a racer - although honda drivers must keep watchin the taillights

Btw. Can you get me one near pic from the R/2/4 -gear brake servo cylinder. I want to see how it would be... opened... if I tried to open it while tranny is not taken down. (The servo is inside the bulge near starter motor.)
Old 02-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Always dreamed of getting a dream automatic = spent years in sticky city traffic and now fed up with the rhytms Maxima A/T works like a thought [dont count blondies] --- IF electronics are well tuned.

Racing is another matter, there the stick is a must, but I think basic maxima isnt a racer - although honda drivers must keep watchin the taillights

Btw. Can you get me one near pic from the R/2/4 -gear brake servo cylinder. I want to see how it would be... opened... if I tried to open it while tranny is not taken down. (The servo is inside the bulge near starter motor.)
me? like... crack mine open and take a picture? uh.. I guess i try to do that but i don't know squat about a/t internals, other than what a planetary gearset looks like. and from what I understand those are buried down in there pretty darn deep.

as for the snow melting... you mean you snapped that picture after the parts maxima had been running for a while to melt the snow off the hood. If so, wow. What's the temperatures over there right now? I was grumbling about it being 35F (2C) while i was dropping the a/t last night. heh.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 02-22-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 AM

me? like... crack mine open...
No no. Pic from outside... this servo cylinder opens from 'front', outside. You already have there one front pic from the A/T box, but too far away... there is some kinda clip keeping a round cover in place.

Not too cold but 'blizzard08' at year 08 - now barely below freezing.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

No no. Pic from outside... this servo cylinder opens from 'front', outside. You already have there one front pic from the A/T box, but too far away... there is some kinda clip keeping a round cover in place.

Not too cold but 'blizzard08' at year 08 - now barely below freezing.

you mean the circle under the valvebody?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 AM

you mean the circle under the valvebody?
In your pic the circular cover is seen ... too far away. Theres some locking ?spring or whatever keepin the cover on? http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...p/IMG_1235.jpg

Pic from this one cleaned, enlarged ... pls

Old 02-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

In your pic the circular cover is seen ... too far away. Theres some locking ?spring or whatever keepin the cover on? http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...p/IMG_1235.jpg

Pic from this one cleaned, enlarged ... pls

i got up close and personal with it. there's nothing holding it on. it appears to be pressed in, not fastened with any kind of separate fastener. I ran a flathead screwdriver around all edges and surfaces, and never felt a thing. i guess try a hammer? sorry but i dunno what else i can tell ya.

edit: hold on... i saw something in one of the pictures. let me take a second look..

EDIT #2: http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...20swap/wiking/ does that help? there's a video uploading so give it a few minutes if you view this post before it finishes. refresh the album until it appears.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 02-23-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

washing-crud-off-hands-and-getting-brother-a-coke update:
flexplate, PP and clutch disc out... bolts kept in order for PP... flywheel next. oilpan gasket DOES need replacement... i'll do that in a bit.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

dusk update: it's time!!! everything that needs to be removed from the GXE (with the exception of the shifter cable) has now been removed... and everything that needs to be removed from the parts car, with the exception of the shifter assembly (i WILL triumph... just dunno exactly how yet...)...

the clutch parts are squeaky clean, and the GXE is chomping at the bit for the first of the 5spd-specific parts to be installed.

so let the games begin...
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

midnight update:
hokay. dragged my laptop outside so i can update from out here (even tho i keep going inside for hand cleaner before i type but whatever). it's not too terribly cold so luckily i won't freeze my ____ off by staying out here until my goal for the night is finished.

parts car has ONE thing left to remove. the bloody shifter. we tried grinding the studs but our grinding disc dissolved first. crap.

as for the GXE... flywheel and clutch torqued to spec. gussets swapped and torqued to spec. new oil seals in the tranny torqued to oh wait they don't need to be torqued.

next on the agenda: lubing up the release fork at the specified points per FSM, ceremonial lifting of the tranny, and, alas, putting the sucker against the engine where it belongs. then of course bolting it into place... and torquing to spec. haha.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 02-23-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

bedtime update:
well I couldn't get the tranny on b/c i never got a clutch alignment tool... stupid me. I tried loosening the PP, installing the tranny w/ 2 bolts, partially tightening the PP bolts through the starter hole until the PP sat pretty flush to the flywheel, pulling the tranny, torquing down the PP bolts, and reinstalling the tranny... but it just wasn't quite enough. it got REALLY close, but couldn't quite go all the way in. And there's no way for me to fit my torque wrench into that hole with a socket on it.. so i'm done until 9am tomorrow, when i can go get an alignment tool, and get the clutch properly aligned before installing the transmission. I got the fork and whatnot lubed but that's the only real progress i made since my midnight update.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:50 AM

... a second look....
Hey thank you! This explains how/if it is going out w/o dropping tranny... GREAT! There has to be a piston pressed by that spring - visible in the video. On my R-dead tranny there is a marginal possibility its o-ring has ripped causing the servo to leak... (ripped - because the problem started suddenly)
Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

nighttime update: after buying a clutch alignment tool (which now that i think about i may not have needed after all... i'll explain below), the m/t is mounted in my GXE now, and i was just beginning to bolt it in when... it started raining. CRRRAP! so in a minute of panic i stuffed the parts-car axles into it to keep the water out and tossed the hood over the engine, rounded up my tools and headed inside. the reason i may not have needed the alignment tool yesterday is because of my little trick of {loosening the PP so the clutch was moveable, installing the tranny, tightening the PP bolts thru the starter hole, pulling tranny, torquing PP bolts properly, and then trying to reinstall tranny} didn't work, but the reason it didn't work is because i forgot to think about the fact that my car is angled up.. and that the tranny needed to be angled just a few degrees clockwise to fit into the little bushing thingies on the 3-and-9-o-clock position bolt holes. I did this by using my tq converter's little shim thing under the car-front end of the tranny on the jack, then lifted it again, and this time with its slight angle, the sucker slid right in.

Now, question is, i JUST put the new oil seals in it... and i put the axles in un-greased... i realize this was a stupid move, but since the car is not being driven, and the axles are not being turned in the transmission... can i take those axles out, grease up my good axles, and install them with the oil seals I just put in.. or do i HAVE to get another round of oil seals?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 AM
mod or sell?

if the seals are already in EVENLY leave them alone
Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

if the seals are already in EVENLY leave them alone
I highly concur unless they look torn

on the other hand, must suck not having a garage.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I highly concur unless they look torn

on the other hand, must suck not having a garage.
how'd you guess?

but aaanyhow yeah i'm about to go back out and at least the the big pieces mounted, put the front end back together, and then i'll start running the clutch plumbing.

i have HEARD through the grape vine that you can bypass the block and loop device, and connect the rubber hose directly to the output from the master cylinder with no problem, and that it in fact firms up the pedal and makes shifts quicker. opinions?

Quick Reply: Capedcadavers tranny swap blog..;-)