3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

what is the maximum amount of hp you can get from a n/a VE30DE max at the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 02:33 AM
MILLENIUM MAX

How much n/a horse power can be generated to the wheels of the VE30DE without using nos,s/c,or t/c.Is 230 wheel hp possible with the 5spd tranny?

Old 11-03-2000, 02:41 AM

this question seems to be raised alot lately.
look in some other posts alittle ways down the board.
Old 11-03-2000, 09:54 AM

You could put down that much power. But it will cost you $9k to do it.
Old 11-03-2000, 09:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's the old addage. HP costs money, how much do you want to spend?
Old 11-03-2000, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
We need a FAQ about this. For one thing to get over 230hp at the wheels requires headwork and hotter cams. Then full bolt ons, ECU tuning. Plus increasing the rev limitier to 8000rpm. I believe one would have to convert back to a mechanical valvetrain since they are more effiecent at high rpm use.
Old 11-03-2000, 11:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well yeah but it's all spectulation beucase no one has done it on a ve. I 230@ the wheels is about 260hp+ at the crank. To add to your list, headers is a must(none avail) headwork(that no one has done except Bryan?), a good kick in compression(have no idea how the shorter heads affect the cam timing(longer chain relatively) and adjustable timing gears(how to do that on a VE VTC equipped sproket is anyone's guess)

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Originally posted by Jeff92se
We need a FAQ about this. For one thing to get over 230hp at the wheels requires headwork and hotter cams. Then full bolt ons, ECU tuning. Plus increasing the rev limitier to 8000rpm. I believe one would have to convert back to a mechanical valvetrain since they are more effiecent at high rpm use.
Old 11-03-2000, 12:42 PM
Get Off My Lawn

They do make headers for the Maxima. When I first checked into it two years ago I was told by the manufacturer (which I thought was odd) that they were prone to cracking and the hp benifit was only around 5hp and the cost was around $600. I've been told that there are new headers out there, but I think straight piping would be cheaper and more benificial in the long run. As for the adjustable gears, I called everyone under the sun, no one makes them. Do they?
Old 11-03-2000, 12:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

I have never seen header for a maxima. For a VG30 yes(300z powered VG30s) but not for a FWD maxima. If you want to run that high of hp, then headers would be mandatory. Just look at my sig pic(does anyone?) There's no way NE1 is gonna design a adjustable cam sproket for the intake cam(VTC side) Exhaust maybe but tuning inconjuction w/ the VTC cam advancement would not be easy.

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
They do make headers for the Maxima. When I first checked into it two years ago I was told by the manufacturer (which I thought was odd) that they were prone to cracking and the hp benifit was only around 5hp and the cost was around $600. I've been told that there are new headers out there, but I think straight piping would be cheaper and more benificial in the long run. As for the adjustable gears, I called everyone under the sun, no one makes them. Do they?
Old 11-03-2000, 01:28 PM
MILLENIUM MAX

money=power

Ok guys i know that its costly and i thought about getting a s/c fab onto the engine but the place is all the way in cali and i'm in n.y.c,that is too far of a drive and no time to leave the car there and go back to pick it up.I am willing to spend $5,500 to get the amount of power that i want in a max,so what r the steps that i have to take to accomplish my 230 wheel hp maxima.

Old 11-03-2000, 01:29 PM

And if they did have them they would be a major pain in the *** to tune. I'm all set with ripping all that **** apart for 5 hp
Old 11-03-2000, 02:35 PM
STFU n00b!

If you've got $5500, then screw N/A. just take your car to JWT and have them install a turbo and beef up the clutch.. you'll be done in about $4000, including a new clutch. it will be more reliable, as small turbos running a little boost will be much more reliable than a built-up engine that noone at all can work on or understand if you have problems.

blah blah, just go turbo, and you can get much more reliable power for less money.
Old 11-03-2000, 02:46 PM

Thats like saying that you should take your 300zx to SGP to have it built up. Yet, they still have a customers car that will remain nameless *cough* Wesman *cough* who's car hasn't run right since he brought it there. Just cuz its built with your own 2 hands, in your free time, at your house doesn't mean it will break every day and be less reliable. A good example is James Farrer(GhettoMax)s car. Home built, yet still tearing up all the big time sponsored cars..
Old 11-03-2000, 02:49 PM

And if anyone knows this Matt, it should be you

PS: **** JWT and their overpriced ****(except their ECU's)
Old 11-03-2000, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by MILLENIUM MAX
How much n/a horse power can be generated to the wheels of the VE30DE without using nos,s/c,or t/c.Is 230 wheel hp possible with the 5spd tranny?
Why do you need 230hp at the wheels? If your gonna drag the car you need more torque or area under the curve. I believe you can get 200hp at the wheels but that is pushing it though. Hell give me your car and $4k I can get ya 200hp at the wheels.
Old 11-03-2000, 05:24 PM
MILLENIUM MAX

well i had a supercharger in mind but the place that would install it (climax racing)is located in cali and i'm in N.Y,and a small turbo huh well how much work is that?Nismo what would you do if you had the money to put in the car or Mattmax i'm interested in this turbo idea but jwt we all know that this would cost me an arm & a leg.

Old 11-03-2000, 05:49 PM

you got 5500 just do the VG-T swap. That's more than enough to have a mechanic do it.
Old 11-03-2000, 11:26 PM
STFU n00b!

Mike, I was trying to make a point.. you stepped all over it..
building up a N/A motor like that will take LOTS of work and money.. by the time you get that engine torn apart and install all the parts needed to give it that much power, you have ZERO room for screwups.

turbo on the other hand is very tunable.. yeah, you gotta have a good shop that has a brain, but sheeit there's millions of turbo'd cars on the streets today.. any honduh race shop should be able to either do a VG-T swap or help install one if they're a good shop.. it all comes down to money, and who's willing to hang their nutz on the hood of a Max and do it.
$5500 will buy you one helluva engine around here, built by just about anyone less than Ed Pink.
(FYI, Ed Pink is the guy/shop that builds the infiniti indy racing engines 800hp out of 4 L, no prob!
Old 11-03-2000, 11:45 PM

screw that it's cold
i'm not slappin my nuts on the hood of my max till it warms up
Old 11-04-2000, 12:35 AM

warning long a$$ reply........

Originally posted by MILLENIUM MAX
well i had a supercharger in mind but the place that would install it (climax racing)is located in cali and i'm in N.Y,and a small turbo huh well how much work is that?Nismo what would you do if you had the money to put in the car or Mattmax i'm interested in this turbo idea but jwt we all know that this would cost me an arm & a leg.
Well now if it was me and I was hell bent on NA power . I would do the following things headwork by a well known Nissan tuner, custom 11.0 compression ratio pistons (10.8 if 92 octane is the best you can get). Custom reground cams, ported intake manifold (iffy as for a power gain), bored TB to 70mm (I would do this anyway), custom ECU from JWT to take into account the higher compression. Following that I would get and test several combinations of headers to see which ones produce the best overall gain (like area under the curve) gain, lighter flywheel, UDP, 2.5" high flow cat and catback, cold air intake, denso iridian plugs (sp?). If your car was an auto don't even consider doing this. IMHO 200hp at the wheels NA will be close to impracticle, not only will you have less lowend torque but the gear ratio's are too wide. The only way to get around this is with a higher stall torque convertor and smaller diameter tires. This means if you use your 15" rims run 205/50-15's or some 215/40-17's with 17" rims. If your a 5spd then you will need an aftermarket clutch, a centerforce or ACT stage II upgrade should do just fine. I would also install the oil squirters from a VG30DETT into the VE30DE. Basically call JWT and ask them what would be the most effiecent way of getting 200hp at the wheels from a VE30DE. But I can tell you this though. While you spend this much money all I would do is CAI, Y pipe, exhaust, UDP, JWT ECU with Nos program and beat you all day long. That is until the bottle runs out. The thing is we don't really know if the heads or the intake manifold is the real restriction in the VE30DE. In the VQ30DE all nissan did was make a variable capacity intake manifold and it dyno's stock what a 4th gen VQ30de makes with I/Y/E. You can't really make much more power after bolt ons with stock compression. I say just do CAI, Y pipe (SS), 2.5" high flow cat and catback, bore the throttle body to 70mm adn port match intake plenum, JWT ECU, shaved or lightened flywheel with clutch upgrade, UDP and learn to drive the car like you stole it. Bryan H was able to do less mods than I mentioned and ran consistant mid 14's all day long at a ****ty track. Had he been here in houston he might have hit 13's with slicks off the bottle. I can garantee you that unless you get lots of practice you won't be able to get the full potential of your car. Don't think that 200FWHP is enough to beat all the other civics and neons out on the streets. I have seen killer sleeper setups. But before tearing apart the engine just do full bolt ons (I/Y/E, ECU, UDP, ligher flywheel+clutch upgrade) and see how the car does. Be sure to dyno before you add the mods then afterwards. That way if anyone wants to do the same we have a reference. In the meantime you should replace all of your exhaust manifold studs and fix your VTC's if they are malfunctioning.

[Edited by Nismo87SE on 11-04-2000 at 02:40 AM]
Old 11-04-2000, 02:15 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Very well said

Even if I tried I could not have said it any clearer, good job
Old 11-04-2000, 02:31 AM
MILLENIUM MAX

NISMO IS THE F***ing man

Thanks nismo for the advise ,but i have most of the mods that you mentioned except for the y/nos/port n polished head and ecu.After i drop those in then i should see a big gain in hp,but with the nos is a 75 shot safe,and whats better nos dry fogger or jwt wet shot nos.

Old 11-13-2000, 03:05 PM

Forget all that, just get some Type-R stickers!

Old 11-13-2000, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by 4mymax
Forget all that, just get some Type-R stickers!

That's what I'm talking about! Got Rice? http://www.briansriceboypage.com