3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

CAI Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:08 PM

CAI Question

So I'm thinking about intalling a CAI on my VG. But before I do that I want to know about any possible drawbacks it would have. The only one I can think about at the moment is that I won't be able to wash my engine bay without taking off the filter and plugging the hole with something. Is there anything else I should know?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

CAI= filter outside of the engine bay..usually in the fender well
Old 02-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Deridex
So I'm thinking about intalling a CAI on my VG. But before I do that I want to know about any possible drawbacks it would have. The only one I can think about at the moment is that I won't be able to wash my engine bay without taking off the filter and plugging the hole with something. Is there anything else I should know?
If you are worried about it getting wet, you could just use a plastic bag and a rubber band to cover it. Maybe even a shower cap.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. They can get a little wet, just not submerged.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 PM
I can has?

You can wash/pressure wash a VG with a CAI.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE

Hey, that looks pretty nice. Would that be the '93 Accord kit? I've read a bit about CAIs here on the forum and some people suggested routing the pipe in front of the battery rather than around it, but I've yet to see a picture of it. Has someone done that? And should there be some kind of shield against dirt and water if it's in the fender?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I can has?

Hey, that looks pretty nice. Would that be the '93 Accord kit? I've read a bit about CAIs here on the forum and some people suggested routing the pipe in front of the battery rather than around it, but I've yet to see a picture of it. Has someone done that? And should there be some kind of shield against dirt and water if it's in the fender?
The car has stock weather shields under and around the backside of the fender, no water really gets in there from the road. As for running the CAI in front of the battery, in theory it would work, but you'd need to extend MAF wires, probably move the battery back some, make it to where you could get to your fuses without disassembling your CAI every time, etc.

I figured the little extra cutting, and the 90 degree bend pipe wasn't that big of a deal to route it around the battery.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:20 AM

hhghf

cone filter gave gave me better gas mileage. not to mention it sounds good at mid to upper rpms.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 PM

Yeah, higher MPG is what I'm aiming for.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yeah, higher MPG is what I'm aiming for.
If you are having gas mileage issues(i.e. crappy gas mileage), then you need to find/fix the issue first, a cai will not fix crappy gas mileage.

If no gas mileage issues, any increase in gas mileage gains from a cai will be little to none, their chief benefit is more noise/growl at WOT, not much else after that.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

and they look better...
Old 02-25-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
If you are having gas mileage issues(i.e. crappy gas mileage), then you need to find/fix the issue first, a cai will not fix crappy gas mileage.

If no gas mileage issues, any increase in gas mileage gains from a cai will be little to none, their chief benefit is more noise/growl at WOT, not much else after that.
Hopefully I fixed my crappy milage issue at least a llittle bit by fixing the leaky injector. But I thought a CAI would at least give a couple HP aside from just looking and sounding good. Some people said it gives a car better low end torque. Was I wrong?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Heres a little video of my max with a CAI on it, It's a little quick since the battery in the camera was goin dead
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...nt=1992GXE.flv
Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Do you have a VG or a VE? If you have a vg, the last thing you want is more low end torque at the expense of high end (considering there isn't any high end). Imo it is only practical on a VE since they are already amazing at the high end. The CAI like any intake is a trade-off. One thing gains and the other loses a bit. Stock intake is not the best possible, but it is decent for all engine speeds. All gains are minimal to none anyway. That sounded dissappointing, sorry.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by augiedog964
Do you have a VG or a VE? If you have a vg, the last thing you want is more low end torque at the expense of high end (considering there isn't any high end). Imo it is only practical on a VE since they are already amazing at the high end. The CAI like any intake is a trade-off. One thing gains and the other loses a bit. Stock intake is not the best possible, but it is decent for all engine speeds. All gains are minimal to none anyway. That sounded dissappointing, sorry.
I had the same CAI on my VG when I owned it, along with the stock setup, and a high flow (short ram) intake. The CAI was definitely my favorite of the three. I'd say for the price, sound, and slight low end improvement, it was a worthwhile mod since it costs next to nothing. High end was not noticeable either way, honestly. I also felt little to no change in high end with the cone filter.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE

Dude...if you flipped your S pipe you could avoid using that ugly blue tube. Right?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by traxtar944
Dude...if you flipped your S pipe you could avoid using that ugly blue tube. Right?
oh wow i definitely missed that the first time. But yeah one would think. unless it would be on the bottom.. no, it doesn't look like it would.. hmm that is funny though.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by traxtar944
Haha, there are some fitment issues with the pipe going the other way, but I think with enough trimming it could work. It was cold and rainy and my cousin had to be somewhere (his car), which is why I decided to use the longer hose instead of going and dry fitting the pipe the other way, cutting, checking again, cutting, etc. That was just temporary, now there is just one long balck vacuum hose running from the pipe to IAC.

edit: Haha! Maxima Man in the video did it too!

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 02-26-2008 at 09:34 PM.