3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Dash lights are non-opperational...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Dash lights are non-opperational...

About a week ago, I replaced the stock cubby with a cup holder/drawer. this required removal of the stereo, and what-not. a couple of days ago, my dash lights stopped working. I replaced the fuse(taillights) and all was okay. the next day, the fuse blows again. this time, it instantly blows, when i put a new fuse and turn on the lights. After thinking about what I had done recently to my car, I realized the stock radio may have had a dimming feature(aftermarket installed before i got the car). I checked the diagram, and sure enough... checked my stereo harness, and the end of that wire was ever-so-slightly exposed. placed electrical tape over it, and the fuse stopped blowing.
now my taillights work, but my dash lights do not. the clock noticably dims, almost to the point where i cannot see it whenever I turn the lights on.

Questions:
1) What system controls the dimmer(and its location)?(I know its tcu for later models, but not sure on mine...)
2) What is the proper diagnosis technique to asses the problem for my car?

I have a FSM for a 1994, but the electrical systems are different. It includes diagnosis information for this problem but i cannot use it...
(1991, SE, 5 speed)
Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 PM
I can has?

Are you sure the ground for the headunit is not wired into the dimmer/illumination wire on the cars stock harness? Or something of that nature? Whoever wired my cousins' stereo had done that and it had the same problem you are having. I guess it may have been dark and IIRC it was a dark colored wire? I'm not sure how it went down, but it was kinda

I would pull it out and check all wiring and make sure everything you're not using is capped correctly.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I did ensure that both dimmer wires running into the stereo harness were not exposed or miswired (the connector on the stereo side only had one wire coming out, and was the one exposed that i fixed. The other wire came into the connector, but was not connected on the other side... Thank god whoever put this stereo in used a harness rather than cut and chop the old one...) The stereo currently in there was installed about a year ago and has not been rewired since, only disconnected. When i was in there last night, I did verify all wiring was correct, and that no conductors were exposed(there was one, I think my left rear speaker negative, maybe... taped that up).
Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 PM
mod or sell?

^^ reason why I use harnesses and wire them in the house beforehand
Old 03-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
^^ reason why I use harnesses and wire them in the house beforehand
thats how we did this stereo... it was my sister's car before and had a cheap tape player in it. we installed a cheap cd player. the player and all speakers work.

Edit: as a side note, I will be double-checking all electrical wires behind the stereo later tonight...

Last edited by BenStoked; 03-06-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: side note
Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
About a week ago, I replaced the stock cubby with a cup holder/drawer. ... What system controls the dimmer(and its location)?(I know its tcu for ...
Your cup now runneth over? [my problem is pronunciation: how to get a cup instead a cop in a cafe? ...impossible when there's a blondie waitress?]

Which dimmer dims what... the roof or the dash? If you have the std dash adj 'button', follow its wires and some day you'll arrive to the dimmer.

I'd first swap fuse places (or measure), fuse may be rotten while looking awesome blondie.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

okay, checked the fuse, which was good, using a multimeter. the radio harness has no frays or worn spots, no wires are exposed. taillights work properly, had brother watch while making various lights turn on: taillights, brake lights, reverse lights, turn signals. all opperate correctly. so its just the interior lights.
following wiking's advice, i tried to follow the harness, but it disappeared into the dash... I found a header going into the "control unit" box with matching color wires... was I way off in the OP? is this the same as the tcu found in the 94 FSM?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:56 AM

... is this the same as the tcu found in the 94 FSM?
[this is it] ... hopefully. As I [if] understand, this issue is the same 89-94.

Pulling/seeking the wires needs some hard stripping/openin the bundles.

I'd take that out, resolder all components and reinstall... sometimes you get lucky. Never been able to repack the smoke back in and get a processor running again
Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Wiking
Never been able to repack the smoke back in and get a processor running again
I gocha!
Went ahead and just tested the timer unit as per fsm... says check harness pins (6) and (15)... THERE IS NO PIN IN THE (15) HOLE!!!2#$@!!!....
I dont know... one of those differences I talked about...
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM

I gocha!...
(Off topic: There's a sinister plot -intel inside- [psst-top-secret] all processors do actually run with smoke. When that escapes, even windows wont jam but theyll run free, first time...)

Whatever, me understandeth not, and adding pins wont help in this. Would getting older schemas help?

Dash lights supply, now going through the dimmer, can be cut and directly wired to ACC +12V. Not nice but u will get by until smtg better arrives. I dont know what kind of cricket is the dimmer pushbutton? It may also fail.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

If i had the older schematics, yeah (along with the appropriate diagnostic info) I could definitely figure this out....
something I most definitely do not want to do is patch something to gether to make it work. I have considered those little automotive spotlights, but would rather not.
I have a gps, and it displays my current speed, but I do not want a car that "mostly works". I want everything to work right (i know this is a high order for a 17 year old car, but these lights should function properly, just like the blinkers, or wipers, which both do work).
...and I know better than to start modifying other systems until this is fixed. thats why this is important to me.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 PM

If i had the older schematics, yeah (along with the appropriate diagnostic info) I could definitely figure this out....
something I most definitely do not want to do is patch something to gether to make it work. I have considered those little automotive spotlights, but would rather not.
I have a gps, and it displays my current speed, but I do not want a car that "mostly works". I want everything to work right (i know this is a high order for a 17 year old car, but these lights should function properly, just like the blinkers, or wipers, which both do work).
...and I know better than to start modifying other systems until this is fixed. thats why this is important to me.
Hectic and Uberhass both have an early model 3rd gen FSM. Might ask them to scan what you need. It worked for me.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Have checked EACH fuse?
Have you gone over each wire for your headunit to make sure its not touching anything?

I hope its not a short like mine
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Take the stereo out (along with aftermarket harness) and check if everything works right. If it does, you know the problem lies in the stereo wiring. Rewire correctly, insulate all exposed wire and try again. If the dash still won't light up when the stereo is removed, either swap or fix the combo switch (blinker, headlight lever). Although if that were the cause, your tail lights wouldn't work when the dash lights are off..
Old 03-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Hectic
Take the stereo out (along with aftermarket harness) and check if everything works right...
one of the first things i did as diagnosis(and how i inspected the harness)
the lights were still not working with it all removed.

just a thought, a few months ago, i swapped in a VE gauge cluster. could one of the connectors have come loose? all of the warning lights,except brights-on, work. I do not recall wether that light worked before my problems or not, because i rarely use them. it worked on the old one.(This may just be a bad bulb, but it is just a thought to help troubleshoot.)
Old 03-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

TCU board...

yellow line is burnt to a crisp... the board smells... ****ed...
swapped with j/y unit, which doesnt smell burnt, but that hasnt fixxed the problem. I now know im looking at some burnt wiring.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Sorry to have bothered everyone. aparently I smoke crack, and forgot that I pulled the airbag light out of the dash... I have no idea how something that obvious could have slipped my mind. my dash lights now function since I have replaced that bulb...(no i do not actually smoke crack, but sometimes i wonder if i did and forgot...

thank you for everyones help.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Sorry to have bothered everyone. aparently I smoke crack, and forgot that I pulled the airbag light out of the dash... I have no idea how something that obvious could have slipped my mind. my dash lights now function since I have replaced that bulb...(no i do not actually smoke crack, but sometimes i wonder if i did and forgot...

thank you for everyones help.
but... that doesn't make sense tho... a light that is normally off would cause other lights on other circuits to stay off too?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
but... that doesn't make sense tho... a light that is normally off would cause other lights on other circuits to stay off too?
It most likely completes a critical circuit, even with no power being fed to it..
Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
It most likely completes a critical circuit, even with no power being fed to it..
hmm. well i don't have SRS anyhow so i'll never have to mess with it. Unless i get another 3rd gen later with SRS...
Old 03-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
hmm. well i don't have SRS anyhow so i'll never have to mess with it. Unless i get another 3rd gen later with SRS...
srs=airbags, right?
I do not have them, either, but the donor VE for the gauges did. I pulled that bulb bc it was ALWAYS on(no airbags=problem as far as its concerned, I think...) anyway, its some sort of special bulb. in addition to the two contacts, it has two wire leads that attach to the circuit board via screws like the chime. the board is different than my 91se's board, so I am unsure where the differences are.
on a side note, I pulled the indicator plate(?) from my 91's gauges and put it in the VE gauges, so the light will not be so blinding at night(still visible)
Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
mod or sell?

srs=airbags, right?
I do not have them, either, but the donor VE for the gauges did. I pulled that bulb bc it was ALWAYS on(no airbags=problem as far as its concerned, I think...) anyway, its some sort of special bulb. in addition to the two contacts, it has two wire leads that attach to the circuit board via screws like the chime. the board is different than my 91se's board, so I am unsure where the differences are.
on a side note, I pulled the indicator plate(?) from my 91's gauges and put it in the VE gauges, so the light will not be so blinding at night(still visible)
are you saying the SRS light is on?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
are you saying the SRS light is on?
the indicator would read"air bag", next to the CEL, below security.(yes)
Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM

im having the same problem with my 91 maxima SE. headlights,fog,brake and signal lights are working but dashboard/gauge doesnt. i have yet to take a look what the problem is. but i think i might try pearl93ve's check on the headunit. this might be another reason why 3 out of 4 of my speakers arent working. does any1 have a input on this?tnx
Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by mokylim
im having the same problem with my 91 maxima SE. headlights,fog,brake and signal lights are working but dashboard/gauge doesnt. i have yet to take a look what the problem is. but i think i might try pearl93ve's check on the headunit. this might be another reason why 3 out of 4 of my speakers arent working. does any1 have a input on this?tnx
you did not say "taillights" so you may wanna check the fuse (6th one down closest to the door) most likely culprit.
however, if your stereo is aftermarket, and does not impliment the dimmer feature, you may want to have a go-ahead and pull all that mess out, and inspect all the wires on the harness. if whoever did it, did it right, then you should have a stereo hookup harness that connects to the bose harness. check the CAR SIDE of the harness for a R/Y (red/yellow) wire, follow that to the stereo. also check the B/R (black[?]/red) the same way. if they are exposed in any way, tape 'em up.

pull dash apart, check the bulbs make sure they arent all burnt(I think that one may have been an exception? all mine were good)
may want to check your tcu for burnt-iness(stick your face underneath the dash by the pedals, closer to the door and fuse box.) is it reak of burnt circuitry? if so, find a white plastic box, disconnect it and pry the bottom off of that white box(held in by 4 tabs). remove the board(carefully, it may still be good) smells bad or has crisped circuits? find a local junkyard and get a "new" one.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM

sorry about that but tail lights work fine. also checked the fuse plus tried swapping them and still nothing worked. so im might have to take out the dash and check the bulbs plus the headunit which is a stock bose. uhmmm...

also, im such a noob about cars so bare with me.i dont know about the "dimmer feature" but i think i dont have that one. also, can u pls describe to me what the "hookup harness" & "bose harness" would look like.

ill try to check the TCU tom if time permits. ill try to post some pics for you to see.thanks a lot. really helpful!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 AM

...i dont know about the "dimmer feature" but i think i dont have that one. ...
Dimmer feature is ctrolled by the diagonal pushbutton nearest to ign key...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:10 AM

oh yeah i have that dimmer feature.and sadly, it doesnt work whichever way i push it to try to turn the lights back on full.so then does that mean i still have to check all those hookup harness and wires?

Last edited by mokylim; 03-11-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:51 AM

...so then does that mean i still have to ...
All fuses you have (?) swapped/checked. Then check the bulbs, eventually they will all fail...

Wirings fail after smtg makes a short. Visual inspection tells a lot.

Connectors may oxidize, the switch and/or dimmer unit break down. Junkyard hunting... Dimmer may have bad soldered components, try resolder.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM

did you mean by tail lights the one on the spoiler or the one with the break+signal+reverse lights.sorry about that.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

combo: tail/brake/turn.
some of the lights should come on when you flick on the head lights
I really don't want to pull my dash apart to snap some pics of the harnesses(done it too many times already)
since you dont have an aftermarket hu, shouldnt be a big deal, unless you suspect a previous owner had swapped it back in.

as for the speakers, check the top two fuses by the door for being blown. if they are good, you may just have old bose amps that have failed like so many do. consider an upgrade. the bose may have been the poo (almost) 20 years ago, but the technology has been advanced so much that a cheap headunit(my durabrand, cheap walmart crap F.E.) sounds better. you will also need a.m. speakers, too, to get better sound.
if you want to keep the bose, getting new speakers and amps will cost MORE than a quality HU and speakers.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM

ok just done prying up the whole gauge pod + bose head unit and heres what i did.

1. check wires/harness on HU for open ones or stripped - ok
2. check wires/harness on the gauge - ok
3. check bulbs on gauge - ok
4. check fuse on tail lights/brake/turn - everything ok

as i took the gauge pod of the dashboard i noticed something was not right heres a pic:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/Image043.jpg - close up (upper right of pod)
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/Image035.jpg - whole pod

it seems that spot is burnt or something but im not sure cause i dont think that spot serves any purpose at all.can any1 confirm?

another problem was i cant find the TCU cause i dont know what it looks like. but i did see the small white box with a connected harness on its bottom. that might be the one with the board in there.

i was planning on replacing the whole HU+speakers on there. i thought i might just buy the items on internet and have it installed. which do u guys think would save me some money.buy it off the internet or from the audio store itself. i talked to this 1 guy and he offered me $450 for a whole alpine combo (1 HU + 2 front and 2 rear speaker). dont know if this is a good sell since i didnt look at the models of the stuff he offered me.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

crappy pic, but thats the box. the easiest way to get to it is to remove the knee pannel and find a gold box. remove that box(does not matter if you unhook it or not, but its easier if you unplug it). the white box is behind that.

check your pms before you post.

Last edited by BenStoked; 03-11-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM

yeah i was right.thats the one.but i wasnt able to get it out since i was trying to pull it off from a wrong position.i might try what you suggested. thanks. any input with the gauge pod?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

AH! forgot. that bulb (or whatever) hole was the same (empty) when I pulled my vg gauges out.(shrug) leave it be.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok just done prying up the whole gauge pod + bose head unit and heres what i did.

1. check wires/harness on HU for open ones or stripped - ok
2. check wires/harness on the gauge - ok
3. check bulbs on gauge - ok
4. check fuse on tail lights/brake/turn - everything ok

as i took the gauge pod of the dashboard i noticed something was not right heres a pic:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/Image043.jpg - close up (upper right of pod)
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/Image035.jpg - whole pod

it seems that spot is burnt or something but im not sure cause i dont think that spot serves any purpose at all.can any1 confirm?

another problem was i cant find the TCU cause i dont know what it looks like. but i did see the small white box with a connected harness on its bottom. that might be the one with the board in there.

i was planning on replacing the whole HU+speakers on there. i thought i might just buy the items on internet and have it installed. which do u guys think would save me some money.buy it off the internet or from the audio store itself. i talked to this 1 guy and he offered me $450 for a whole alpine combo (1 HU + 2 front and 2 rear speaker). dont know if this is a good sell since i didnt look at the models of the stuff he offered me.
About your gauge cluster, my 91 SE cluster that i got from an org members parts car has the same thing, its a 5th light to light up the cluster, yet it effectively lights up nothing. I posted about it asking if anyone had seen it before and no one had and some suggested it was the O/D light but its not.

I compared it to my 92-94 GXE guages and my other 94 SE gauges and the light is not there, and if you look closely on yours, you can see in the pic a lead comes from where the harness plugs in and goes to that light, on my other gauges that lead it not in there. The 5th light on mine looks like urs, slightly burnt or w/e but it works fine and looks stock. Mine has caused no problems aside from my confusion...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:47 PM

you did not say "taillights" so you may wanna check the fuse (6th one down closest to the door) most likely culprit.
however, if your stereo is aftermarket, and does not impliment the dimmer feature, you may want to have a go-ahead and pull all that mess out, and inspect all the wires on the harness. if whoever did it, did it right, then you should have a stereo hookup harness that connects to the bose harness. check the CAR SIDE of the harness for a R/Y (red/yellow) wire, follow that to the stereo. also check the B/R (black[?]/red) the same way. if they are exposed in any way, tape 'em up.

pull dash apart, check the bulbs make sure they arent all burnt(I think that one may have been an exception? all mine were good)
may want to check your tcu for burnt-iness(stick your face underneath the dash by the pedals, closer to the door and fuse box.) is it reak of burnt circuitry? if so, find a white plastic box, disconnect it and pry the bottom off of that white box(held in by 4 tabs). remove the board(carefully, it may still be good) smells bad or has crisped circuits? find a local junkyard and get a "new" one.
Originally Posted by 92gxe/cg2
About your gauge cluster, my 91 SE cluster that i got from an org members parts car has the same thing, its a 5th light to light up the cluster, yet it effectively lights up nothing. I posted about it asking if anyone had seen it before and no one had and some suggested it was the O/D light but its not.

I compared it to my 92-94 GXE guages and my other 94 SE gauges and the light is not there, and if you look closely on yours, you can see in the pic a lead comes from where the harness plugs in and goes to that light, on my other gauges that lead it not in there. The 5th light on mine looks like urs, slightly burnt or w/e but it works fine and looks stock. Mine has caused no problems aside from my confusion...
so u mean i need to put in another bulb on that empty space and MAYBE the whole thing will work.if yes, do u know what type of bulb it is?thanks for your input
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

so u mean i need to put in another bulb on that empty space and MAYBE the whole thing will work.if yes, do u know what type of bulb it is?thanks for your input
no. dont put a bulb there. it was empty from the factory, they did it for a reason, leave it that way.
if you havent checked the tcu, that is kinda what i suspect at this point.

(edit: if that sounded harsh, it wasnt meant to be, but rather urgent)

Last edited by BenStoked; 03-11-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So benstoked, you have this mysterious 5th light also? I order a dozen or so wedge leds so i put a light in that spot because it cant hurt and i had that one to spare, but it lights up very little since theres nothing to be lit there. So is this 5th light on the 89-91 SE clusters or what?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

91 SE fo' sho'...

Quick Reply: Dash lights are non-opperational...