3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

high pitch noise coming from water pump area...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:26 PM

high pitch noise coming from water pump area...

Was under the hood putting the powder coated valve cover on. started the car up, let it idle, and I rev'd it just a bit, maybe around 2k rpms, but real fast. and after that I hear a high pitch noise from the water pump im thinking. I used screwdriver as listening device and put near everything in the area, and it seems to be the water pump.

So I turn off car. restarted it. and it fires up just fine, idles great, no noise. I do 1 slow 3-4sec rev up to maybe 2-3k, and I hear the high pitch noise again. I can't hear it when Im in car and hood shut. but there is a definate high pitch noise when hood is open, almost like a dog whistle for humans.

Is my water pumping going out?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:34 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Be sure to check your work area over completely..you might have missed something,left something off/disconnected or whatever..
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Be sure to check your work area over completely..you might have missed something,left something off/disconnected or whatever..
I only disconnected the small fat hose on top of valve cover.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
I only disconnected the small fat hose on top of valve cover.
Did the car make this noise before you installed the powder coated v/c?

Are you sure the new v/c you installed didn't have anything hanging down/bent?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:55 PM

Did the car make this noise before you installed the powder coated v/c?

Are you sure the new v/c you installed didn't have anything hanging down/bent?
about a week ago I never heard it. I guess I'll have to go pull the valve cover, but im almost 100% sure that it was fine, looked just like other valve cover.

I went and started it again, this time it was doing it without me having to rev or anything. I listen very closely and once I get directly above water pump , (directly in middle of the bracket inbetween fuel rails) It gets the loudest.

When I had JDM motor put in few years ago, I remember the guy I had do it say something about the water pump was dirty etc. but he cleaned it up and used that instead of me getting a new pump. not sure if he took one from my old motor or used the jdm one which sat for a while. I wouldn't be suprised if water pump is going bad, but just want to be 100% sure if it is that at all...
Old 03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Is it like a high pitched squeaking noise? or a grinding type of noise?

I've been hearing this exact same noise for a few weeks now, only at cold startup for a few minutes..Like you it is centered directly in between the fuel rail crossover pipe..

my w/p was replaced about 50k ago. so it's not old..
Old 03-12-2008, 04:08 PM

Is it like a high pitched squeaking noise? or a grinding type of noise?

I've been hearing this exact same noise for a few weeks now, only at cold startup for a few minutes..Like you it is centered directly in between the fuel rails..

my w/p was replaced about 50k ago. so it's not old..
its a very constant noise. its not grinding at all.

hard to explain, because its not a squeaking, squealing, or grinding noise...its high pitch....but not window breaking high pitch.

almost like the ringing you get in your ear from a loud fire work or gun going off....ya, thats best way i can describe it, sounds like ringing in your ear.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM

I don't really have a safespot to flush my radiator. I mean can you do that on the street? so I was thinking to take car in and have this one shop i know does good work, and have them do a complete cooling system flush and maybe replace the water pump. not that im going to replace it cause im sure its the problem, but just debating it atm. what would something like a full flush and new water pump installed run me?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

its a very constant noise. its not grinding at all.

hard to explain, because its not a squeaking, squealing, or grinding noise...its high pitch....but not window breaking high pitch.

almost like the ringing you get in your ear from a loud fire work or gun going off....ya, thats best way i can describe it, sounds like ringing in your ear.
sound anything like putting the corner of a piece of paper into a small, high speed fan?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I can has?

Are you sure it's not power steering related... if you're low on fluid they will whine and make a high pitched "errrr" ing noise...
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM

could it be the tensioner pulley
Old 03-12-2008, 04:28 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I don't really have a safespot to flush my radiator. I mean can you do that on the street? so I was thinking to take car in and have this one shop i know does good work, and have them do a complete cooling system flush and maybe replace the water pump. not that im going to replace it cause im sure its the problem, but just debating it atm. what would something like a full flush and new water pump installed run me?
Depends on the area where you live, and the skill/honesty of the mechanic/shop.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:29 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by vernk
could it be the tensioner pulley
I thought the same thing, so i replaced mine, no go.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Are you sure it's not power steering related... if you're low on fluid they will whine and make a high pitched "errrr" ing noise...
its not the whine sound of power steering.

so i had my g/f turn car off while i was listening near area. the high pitch noise goes away within 1-1.5seconds and i can hear water kinda flow, or stop flowing for that matter.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 PM

doesn't seem to be pulley, belts, or something in a fan or anything. I've never seen inside a water pump, but im guessing there is a fan like thing that spins and pumps the water.....the noise to me, although i've never heard one before, sounds like the pump might be bad, I dont know.

I did replace the valve cover gasket when I put valve cover on. I just drove around town for 20minutes. no oil leaks at all. noise is still there. but im 99.9% sure it has nothing to do with me replacing the valve cover
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 PM

I had this once on my VG. It turned out to be inside the plenum. Replaced the gasket, fixed.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I thought the same thing, so i replaced mine, no go.
my a/c tensioner pulley is a problem on mine. i took the belt off and the engine noise dropped noticeably, even from sitting inside the car. but it was making that same sort of paper-in-a-fan sound increasing with rpm that my a/t went when it died.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
my a/c tensioner pulley is a problem on mine. i took the belt off and the engine noise dropped noticeably, even from sitting inside the car. but it was making that same sort of paper-in-a-fan sound increasing with rpm that my a/t went when it died.
Thats the one i replaced, noise is still there, but mine seems to be different then the op's, as my squeaking noise stops within a few minutes after starting the car, and it is only at idle, gone when revved.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 PM

hmm, I didn't touch the plenum so I don't think thats the issue on mine, tho i wont rule it out. and the noise doesn't change with speed.

BTW was I suppose to put some oil or something on the new V/C gasket?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:29 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

hmm, I didn't touch the plenum so I don't think thats the issue on mine, tho i wont rule it out. and the noise doesn't change with speed.

BTW was I suppose to put some oil or something on the new V/C gasket?
Nope, just the rubber gasket.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM

hmm if the valve cover gasket had a needle size air passage for some reason, would it be possible to make this sound?

I'm tired and wore out so I'll take it off tomorrw and make sure the gasket didnt get bump when i was puting the cover on.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

hmm if the valve cover gasket had a needle size air passage for some reason, would it be possible to make this sound?

I'm tired and wore out so I'll take it off tomorrw and make sure the gasket didnt get bump when i was puting the cover on.
Hmmmm...It is possible..
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

another thing, mine makes a high pitch, almost as it from a computerized sound-generator, if i have a very high load on the alty. but the sound is super-clean, cleaner than any mechanical thing can create by rubbing, grinding, or any other fail-related movement. It's a perfect sound wave, whatever shape it may be. It happens especially when i put a full load on the cig lighter. with the and headlights radio also on. unloading decreases volume but pitch stays with the RPM. my alty is factory original if it makes a difference at all.

mm1313 is that what yours sounds like? a pure 'tone'?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver

mm1313 is that what yours sounds like? a pure 'tone'?

ya....And when I was tightening the positive battery thing down last week, I did tighten it too much and the damn thing broke, soft metal, guess i'll buy stronger.

So currently my postivie line to my battery isn't tight at all...which could put a strain on the alternator which I could see that sound coming from that...

I just went and started it again, ya I've been at this a few hours now, im bored anyways that noise is gone, and i cant duplicate it like i was able to the first 2 times by rev'ing. Tomorrow morning I'll pick up a new positive battery clamp thing, w/e its called that goes on post. See if that changes anything. Thanks everybody for their help/input, always appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 PM

Doesn't change with speed? Hmm.

When I had the noise it was like a high pitched whistle and the pitch got higher with the RPM's. I would think with a valve cover gasket it wouldn't make a squeel just a sound of a vacuum leak if that was it. Though I wouldn't rule out a pin hole in a vacuum line, or a slight rip in a vacuum line. It would have to be tiny to make a squeel. Did you check/bump/change any vacuum lines?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Doesn't change with speed? Hmm.

When I had the noise it was like a high pitched whistle and the pitch got higher with the RPM's. I would think with a valve cover gasket it wouldn't make a squeel just a sound of a vacuum leak if that was it. Though I wouldn't rule out a pin hole in a vacuum line, or a slight rip in a vacuum line. It would have to be tiny to make a squeel. Did you check/bump/change any vacuum lines?

just the metal tube that sucks air in from both sides of the motor then feeds to intake. the small fat hose that goes to the top of valve cover by the oil cap. it looks fine to me tho.

I need to go get a new positive terminal thing because mine is basically broke and just touches the post, its not clamped around it tightly like it should be. So Im thinking the noise is my alternator having a tough time getting power to the bat due to the bad connection.

I'll be replacing that in the next few hours. gotta clean up my stock V/C and mail it off for my $65 core charge. I'll post if I fix problem with battery post.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM

threw new battery thing on there, tightened it up. and car starts, idles, runs great. no high pitch sound at all no matter what. Thanks guys
Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just replaced my water pump and timing belt. i have this "twig hitting a fence" noise coming from my water pump. can anyone help me cause i really need the max back.

thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 AM

remove the 3 drive belts,(the 3 belts contact 6 different "pulleys") start car,listen for noise,stop car,put belt back 1 at a time,
restart car,find the pulley with the loudmouth,make sure the dirty rat never squeals agian
.....i did this TEST and can say my 92 's waterpump
"honks or groans"for 1-2 seconds on cold starts but doesnt leak...yet
(edit*i did not run the car too long with no belts you should not either)

Last edited by maximagician; 04-10-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by maximagician
remove the 3 drive belts,start car,listen for noise,stop car,put belt back 1 at a time,
restart car,find the pulley with the loudmouth,make sure the dirty rat never squeals agian
DONT run the car long without the belts.....i did this and can say my 92 's waterpump
"honks or groans"for 1-2 seconds on cold starts but doesnt leak...yet
It may be honking/groaning but its not as a result of running the motor with no belt turning the pump.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
It may be honking/groaning but its not as a result of running the motor with no belt turning the pump.
ahhh hemmm......let me rephrase the last part...
if i COLD START my 92 with NO belts,= NO NOISE (except vtc "tick" *sometimes)shut car off, INSTALL WATERPUMP BELT ONLY,start car agian,GROANS FOR A SECOND like all cold starts,my old waterpump started leaking about a year + ago , but didnt make noise,i swapped in my spare old one (wasnt hard once i figured out how to manuver it in since the frames so close on 92 SE's)and a few months later,honking\groaning for 1-2 seconds at cold starts
but never leaks(I NEVER LOSE OR ADD COOLANT EITHER)
im putting in a new one anyway ...SO,one can rule out any of the 6 drive belt 'pulleys" or pinpoint which one
makes noise by removing all of them ,starting car ,listening,then re-installing one belt at a time and repeat

Last edited by maximagician; 04-10-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
(meant to say) "I " did NOT run the car long with no belts ,niether should you ...sorry ,carry on

Last edited by maximagician; 04-10-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 PM

I am having some issues with a strange new noise as well. I have a 30 second mp3 recording of it if anyone thinks they can listen to it and tell me what it is. Just send me an email.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:12 AM

I used to have a high pitched whining in my car. But now I'm divorced and the noise is gone.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by shoult
I used to have a high pitched whining in my car. But now I'm divorced and the noise is gone.
FTW!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM

UPDATE.....

Well I thought I fixed this problem thinking it was strain on the alternator because of a bad postive terminal connector, replaced it and tightened everthing up, and I said it went away....but I am hearing it again...for some reason I hear it near water pump area...but it seems the very loudest now at the top left corner of the throttle body, if your looking from driver side car. Im either thinking the TB gasket has a slight leak, or my thermostat isn't functioning properly. The reason I think its the thermostat is because it only happens after the car is fully warmed up. sometimes takes a bit even after its warm. which is when the T-stat should be working rigght?when water gets up to temp? Also, if the leak was the TB gasket...the pitch would fluctuate with rpm's right?

guess im curious if you guys know if a bad T-stat would cause this whinning sound. It sounds like a dog whistle being blown realy hard.

My cousin is a very good mechanic owns his own business/shop and is very honest with me and all problems i've had in the past. Im dropping it off tomorrow to have him take a look at it. I will let you guys know what he thinks or finds wrong.

Thanks guys, sorry to bring up my old post

Last edited by maximaman1313; 05-07-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 AM

my k+n cone shaped air filter increased the "intake air whistle\whine"
turbo-esque sound ftw
Old 05-08-2008, 03:42 AM

... and I said it went away....but I am hearing it again...... sorry to bring up my old post
Nothin to be sorry for. Be happy ... noise = your max is alive.

Bad connections wont strain alt, good ones may - if batt is shorted or empty.

Any flow may cause noise, air, coolant... Pitch varies with flow. I suspect T-stat as noise maker, its rather deep there to be heard. Not impossible. Pump bearings?

Temp change changes materiel properties, rubber gets more elastic etc. Leaks can be sought with spraying around oil, water or some combustible substance. The rubber connecting plenum and plastic intake pipe may have ripped?

Dont go empty handed to u cousin...
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by maximagician
my k+n cone shaped air filter increased the "intake air whistle\whine"
turbo-esque sound ftw
ya I know what that whistle sounds like, seems like every 3rg gen with other than stock intake gets it.

but this noise is different. it doesn't have anything to do with rev's or happen at certain rpm's. seems to happen on fully warm engine.

now if the TB gasket has a slight break or something in it somewhere, would it make sense that once it warms up it gets loser and thats why it happens when its warm? and not cold because its more stiff?