3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Non-working Cruise control & constant honking horn

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Non-working Cruise control & constant honking horn

When I first got my 92 Max SE 5spd 6 years ago the cruise and horn worked perfectly. Then one day I'm driving down the road and some jerk pulls off a move in front of me that even I wouldn't do. So I blast my horn at him. As soon as I do the horn starts beeping all by itself like ...... beep......beep......beep.....beep.

I'm on the way to work so I drive in with the horn beeping all the way. I get there and pull the power leads to the horns. Not having horns really doesn't bother me, so I've left it alone. Several months later, I'm on a road trip and set the Cruise to my desired speed and ...... nothing. It doesn't engage. It worked perfectly the last time I tried it, before the honking incident. Again, for the most part, not having cruise control doesn't bother me so I've left it.

But now I have 4 cars and my latest purchase (the 2000 Cougar) leaves me flat. So I'm thinking of selling the Cougar, the Max and the Tool Chest and buying a Gen5.5 Max. I'll need to fix some of the little niggles in the 92 Max to get the best money for her.

In my mind I think the problem must be related to me bashing the horn button and maybe breaking something inside the steering wheel. Although I'm not sure how that would make my horn beep...beep...beep... Fuses are all good. Horns are still beeping if I plug the power wires back on. Cruise is still not working.

Any ideas? Both in diagnoisis and steering wheel dissasembly tips (if needed). This is a non-air bag steering wheel with cruise buttons on wheel center.

Thanks from NashVegas TN....
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
mod or sell?

I would check to see if the relays stuck for the horn
Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I would check to see if the relays stuck for the horn
Any idea about the cruise?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I am unsure about the 92 se(does it have air bags?) on my 91(no air bags), all i had to do was pull on the top, and bottom, it popped right off. I broke my horn (in a similar situation, actually) but the cc was unaffected. I did have a problem with my "Cancel" button, so it would not work. I replaced my broken horn assy with a j/y unit. i also left the cc buttons attached to the horn assy. now both the horn and all my cc buttons work.
if this does not help you, i hope it helps somebody.
btw, i have heard scarry things about working on a srs equipped steering wheel, so be careful(but i do believe you are capable of workin on this, you have a white ford tool chest,
Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
I am unsure about the 92 se(does it have air bags?) on my 91(no air bags), all i had to do was pull on the top, and bottom, it popped right off. I broke my horn (in a similar situation, actually) but the cc was unaffected. I did have a problem with my "Cancel" button, so it would not work. I replaced my broken horn assy with a j/y unit. i also left the cc buttons attached to the horn assy. now both the horn and all my cc buttons work.
btw, i have heard scarry things about working on a srs equipped steering wheel, so be careful(but i do believe you are capable of workin on this, you have a white ford tool chest,
the horn and cc circuit work on the same circuit. power for them comes from the same place, on the sliprings or spiral cable, and works together. and i think the horn grounds through the steering wheel. it's a somewhat confusing way that it works having the 2 circuits together like that but there's diagrams in the fsm.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by shoult
...Any ideas? .....
If those wont hlp in cruising, check that cruise pump, hoses work: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/19
Old 03-19-2008, 06:13 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by benstoked
in 92 the airbag was optional.

actually swapping the wheel with a known good one may help, assuming the horn is quiet once the wheel is removed
Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 AM

in 92 the airbag was optional.

actually swapping the wheel with a known good one may help, assuming the horn is quiet once the wheel is removed
I've removed the steering wheel cover and found one problem that affects the horn operation. I'll have to wait to get home to get my good camera and post a picture. 1st one to see the problem in the picture gets a free beer on me next time they're in NashVegas. One more item to pick up at the local Pull-A-Part store.

I haven't had time to do any testing though. It's been raining like crazy here since last night.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

In for a beer.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 AM
STFU n00b!

Replace the Spiral cable. my money's on it.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:40 AM
mod or sell?

no airbag = no spiral cable, Matt
Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 AM

Dont mean to steal the thread, what would you recommend if the horn works fine but the cruise control does not. Ive checked all fuses and IIRC the cruise light comes on if i press the button but is not able to set.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
STFU n00b!

then what do they have? still gotta have something to allow you to turn the wheel lock to lock and not snap wires.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by 94maxteamrtv
Dont mean to steal the thread, what would you recommend if the horn works fine but the cruise control does not. Ive checked all fuses and IIRC the cruise light comes on if i press the button but is not able to set.
check the vacuum assembly under the hood. the canister/diaphragm has a tendency to dry rot and leak as they get older.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

no airbag = no spiral cable, Matt

Old 03-19-2008, 02:44 PM

I've removed the steering wheel cover and found one problem that affects the horn operation. I'll have to wait to get home to get my good camera and post a picture. 1st one to see the problem in the picture gets a free beer on me next time they're in NashVegas. One more item to pick up at the local Pull-A-Part store.

I haven't had time to do any testing though. It's been raining like crazy here since last night.
I haven't gotten home yet (and may not tonight) so here's a crappy picture I took with my phone.

Apparently I smacked the bejeesus out the horn collapsing ithe metal framework on one side. Once the plastic cover is attached it forces the contacts together. That's why the horn won't turn off. Next is why it just keeps beep....beep....beeping when it's on.

And still the Cruise.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:52 PM

for the cruise be sure to check the switch on the brake and clutch pedals, the ones that turn it off when you step on the pedals.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I haven't gotten home yet (and may not tonight) so here's a crappy picture I took with my phone.

Apparently I smacked the bejeesus out the horn collapsing ithe metal framework on one side. Once the plastic cover is attached it forces the contacts together. That's why the horn won't turn off. Next is why it just keeps beep....beep....beeping when it's on.

And still the Cruise.
possibly explains the cruise. if allllll the current is going through the horn there's nothing left from that +12v to power the cruie control switch. they share a power source. If just a tiny bit of power is going through the wire (for cruise control buttons) it's not enough to trigger the horn relay but if the horn is hit it puts full current through, which IS enough to trip the relay.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
then what do they have? still gotta have something to allow you to turn the wheel lock to lock and not snap wires.
it's called a slip ring.
92 FSM PG EL-42
I think there is a picture of it in an earlier thread on it.
if you want I can scan that page out of my FSM (I still have my 92 paperback FSM)
Old 03-19-2008, 04:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

it's called a slip ring.
92 FSM PG EL-42
if you want I can scan that page out of my FSM (I still have my 92 paperback FSM)
Scan it dammit!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
mod or sell?

I'll do it after dinner honey
Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 PM

it's called a slip ring.
92 FSM PG EL-42
Okay, I straightened the metal framework out. Reassembled the framework back into the wheel center and verified that the horn contacts were not making contact without pressure applied. Pop it back in my car, push the wires back onto the horns, go to reload the 10A fuse (pulled when the horn started it's mess) and nothing. No beep. That's good, right? Press the horn button and ...... nothing. Remembering that there is a horn relay also I look around the engine compartment and can't seem to find the Horn Relay. I know it's in one of the boxes and it's labeled. I remember seeing it before. I finally find it under the coolant overflow bottle. Pop the cover and .... WHOOPS... I also apparently pulled the relay for some reason. It's gotta be at home some where and I'm stuck here at work for AWHILE (12.5 hour day so far).

Crap. Cruise still doesn't work. Double crap. I don't have the FSM with me to look through .... TRIPLE CRAP.

At least my desktop is working...
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Can i still have a beer?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Can i still have a beer?
Sure, but I won't deliver it.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sure, but I won't deliver it.
I want to visit the nashville pull-a-part sometime in the next few months...I'll shoot you a pm before i go so maybe we can meet up there..
Old 03-19-2008, 04:58 PM

I want to visit the nashville pull-a-part sometime in the next few months...I'll shoot you a pm before i go so maybe we can meet up there..
If I still have a job after today, I have a LIST of parts for three vehicles that needs to get done. I'll probably have at least enough money for a couple beers anyways!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

If I still have a job after today, I have a LIST of parts for three vehicles that needs to get done. I'll probably have at least enough money for a couple beers anyways!
well, gimme some time to straighten out some personal issues(divorce) going on atm, then let the wrenches fly!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 PM
mod or sell?

Click to enlarge
Old 03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
mod or sell?

well, gimme some time to straighten out some personal issues(divorce) going on atm, then let the wrenches fly!
WTF BBQ???

Get on IM!!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Still functions kinda like a spiral cable setup?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
mod or sell?

it serves the same purpose but it doesn't break over time. corrode maybe, but break no
Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 PM

it's called a slip ring.
92 FSM PG EL-42
The schematics...!!! ASCD ... timer ctrl ... plus whatever wont match with the -94 bitback. Must have scanpage.

I've installed leds for lightning for those switches. But cant figure out how to get pwr supply for em. Ideas?

Last edited by Wiking; 03-19-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Wiking
The schematics...!!! ASCD ... timer ctrl ... plus whatever wont match with the -94 bitback. Must have scanpage.

I've installed leds for lightning for those switches. But cant figure out how to get pwr supply for em. Ideas?
I've only got 92 FSM in book form, too much to scan and it's 99% the same as 94. difference being non-airbag info in 92 but not in 94 FSM else all same same.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 AM

...too much to scan ...
True. Differences on just three pages ...or more?

My guess is that TIME CTRL SYSTEM page EL-86 plus ASCD AUTOMATIC SPEED CONTROL DEVICE EL-113, EL-114 ... are different. Are they - I'd like to get that schema. ref http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=555772

At least mine -92/93 ctrl logic plug pin qty differs from -94 manual schematics.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 AM
mod or sell?

you have a euro spec car so I am sure there is a multitude of differences.
the Time control system is the same 92-94 in the US.
Do you have an air bag?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM

you have a euro spec car so I am sure there is a multitude of differences.
the Time control system is the same 92-94 in the US.
Do you have an air bag?
if so, wassup here ---> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=555772

"benstoked
If i had the older schematics, yeah (along with the appropriate diagnostic info) I could definitely figure this out....

Mike90SE....
Hectic and Uberhass both have an early model 3rd gen FSM. Might ask them to scan what you need. It worked for me."
- NO Bag in my max.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Wiking
if so, wassup here ---> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=555772

- NO Bag in my max.
we were comparing 89-91 and 92-94
Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 AM

we were comparing 89-91 and 92-94
So 91 would be different ? from 92... (Here Nissan is notorious in forging Nissan mfg date into registration docs - and Nissan codes fully support it. They have been known to sell 6yrs oldies as new... been standing on some jungle tarmac.)

My max vin havent got any year code - but just 0. It has CAT, ABS, VLSD... not yet in 91 models I guess?

Last edited by Wiking; 03-21-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 AM
mod or sell?

ABS was available in the US from 89 at least.
VLSD wasn't available in the VG at all in the US
CAT? only if the dog didn't chase it away...
Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 PM

We now return you to the ORIGINAL saga of the constantly beeping horn and non-working Cruise Control.

After fixing the metal frame in the center section of the steering wheel so that the contacts DON'T make contact unless I mean them too and replacing the 10 amp fuse, I still had no joy. I found that the horn relay was missing so today while walking around the pull-a-part place today I grabbed a horn relay. Installed it in the max and WhoooHOOOOOOOOoooooo! The horn works when I want it to, not constantly!!!! I'm FREAKING ecstatic!!

Take it out for a short road test to make sure the horns work at speed and WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! the cruise works again also!!!

I'm a boy now.

But while I was at p-a-p I spotted this just sitting out on top of another engine....

I'm not sure, but it might be blown!

Quick Reply: Non-working Cruise control & constant honking horn