3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ODOMETER NON FUNCTIONAL

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ODOMETER NON FUNCTIONAL

my odometer hasnt worked for about 6 years now on my 93 VE. just never thought to remedy the problem until now. what gives? is this a speed sensor related issue? the only thing that doesnt work is the Odometer and trip meter(mileage meters)
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by onyx10
my odometer hasnt worked for about 6 years now on my 93 VE. just never thought to remedy the problem until now. what gives? is this a speed sensor related issue? the only thing that doesnt work is the Odometer and trip meter(mileage meters)
odometer wormgear motor thing. mine had gotten some dust or something into the bearing, and the motor seized. i could spin it with my fingers but it couldn't spin under its own power all the time.. it would stick, click, and finally start spinning again.

disassemble the thing and take the odometer motor out and spin it with your fingers to see if it spins smoothly. i have a picture somewhere lemme find it.

edit:

unscrew all 3 of those (after removing fuel/temp gauge) and re-screw the one i circled twice to keep the whole thing from falling apart when you remove the motor

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-11-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem. Found a cluster on ebay for $30 but the speedometer didn't work (buyer beware) but the odometer worked so I swapped out the motor.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry

sorry about hijacking the thread but i cant start one yet.I have a 91 max and the speedo only works sometimes.When the speedo is working the odo,trip and cruise all work but when it isnt nothing works.Would this be in the dash cluster or something else and how do i find the problem,Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by srocky
sorry about hijacking the thread but i cant start one yet.I have a 91 max and the speedo only works sometimes.When the speedo is working the odo,trip and cruise all work but when it isnt nothing works.Would this be in the dash cluster or something else and how do i find the problem,Thanks
in that case it seems like wiring, or the speed sensor itself. what car is this on (year, trim, transmission?). If it's an automatic i'd think that your shifting would become erratic when you lost the speed signal if the sensor is at fault. In a manual you'd only notice it in terms of the cruise control disengaging when the speed sensor signal was lost. If cruise stays active even when the speedometer drops, then it's not the sensor giving you trouble, it's the wiring between the sensor and cluster. my odometer woked fine when the speedo was acting up, and then the odometer started acting up after i fixed the speedo. 2 separate problems tho.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the reply

its a jap assembled '91 se auto for the nz market.It has cloth electric seats.The auto changes fine if the speedo is working or not.Where is the speed sensor located on the auto? is it on the right hand side?The odo and trip and cruise control do not work when the speedo stops,when the speedo is working the odo,trip and cruise control work fine
Old 04-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

its a jap assembled '91 se auto for the nz market.It has cloth electric seats.The auto changes fine if the speedo is working or not.Where is the speed sensor located on the auto? is it on the right hand side?The odo and trip and cruise control do not work when the speedo stops,when the speedo is working the odo,trip and cruise control work fine
the speed sensor is on the transmission in the general vicinity of the engine's oil filter. i have a pic

Old 04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for that

Once again im sorry for hijacking this thread
Old 04-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Once again im sorry for hijacking this thread
I personally do not see it as being a problem. its kinda related, and recent.
hope you get it fixed, and ask if you need any help.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

now im confused

i took the speed sensor out but now i have different people telling me that if it was the sensor it wouldnt change gear properly.Is there a way i can test the speed sensor before i shell out for another one? or should i take the dash cluster out?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thank you

what a great site.Ive had more help given to me here in a few posts than i got all day on the phone
Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 AM

what a great site.Ive had more help given to me here in a few posts than i got all day on the phone
Theres possibly smtg you may do for the sender, check
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=558550
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

it is possible for your car to shift funny if the speedo cuts out just as you are shifting, IF the speed sensor itself is the problem. I'm thinking your problem is the wiring from the harness to the cluster. the signal splits somewhere down the line, part going to the cruise control unit, part going to the tranny computer, and part to the cluster. so i'm thinking that yours may be reporting properly to the tranny but not to the other two. i don't have an FSM handy so i can't verify that tho.