3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What is it?

I have a 92 that is leaking something from a hose in the back of the engine towards the windsheild. It is a hose that comes from the bottom and then up towards the passenger side wall. It is in front of a little motor. It is leaking some kind of oil I think. What is it from? What do I do?
Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by SSTEIN5252
I have a 92 that is leaking something from a hose in the back of the engine towards the windsheild. It is a hose that comes from the bottom and then up towards the passenger side wall. It is in front of a little motor. It is leaking some kind of oil I think. What is it from? What do I do?
Thanks
power steering hose maybe
Old 04-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4signs
power steering hose maybe

Join the club. I've been reading threads on high pressure hose replacement all day (when work didn't interrupt that is).
Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

what color and can you tell by the smell what it is?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM

It looks redish and I have a really bad sense of smell.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

sounds like ATF fluid which is power steering fluid in our cars. Check your power steering fluid and see if it is full
Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Get Off My Lawn

There are two hoses coming off this "little motor" (power steering pump). One is the high pressure hose and is prone to leaking after a while. Best test is to have the car running and someone turn the steering wheel back and forth to see where it is coming from. The reality is that you could also be leaking from the return hose where it connects to the pump. About every VG/VE I've worked on, this return hose will tend to leak. I simply do one or two things. I'll replace the bolt clamp with a worm gear clamp and I might cut off 1/2" to 1" off the end of the hose and reinstall. This seems to fix the leak.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM

when about half of my power steering leaked out...i filled with dot 5 brake fluid....massively slowed down the leak. much cheaper easier than replacing power sterring hoses....but if its a major leak it may not help. give it a try
Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by drftking1
when about half of my power steering leaked out...i filled with dot 5 brake fluid....massively slowed down the leak. much cheaper easier than replacing power sterring hoses....but if its a major leak it may not help. give it a try
brake fluid is not supposed to be in your power steering system.
you have now contaminated your system and caused potentially other harm.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

do not do this, atf fluid only (dexron III)
Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 PM

The power stering fluid doesn't seem that low for the amount of stain and fluid that is on my driveway. The hose has a soft rubber hose around it where it is leaking from.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You are a freaking idiot...Brake fluid does not belong in the power steering system.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
You are a freaking idiot...Brake fluid does not belong in the power steering system.
Most of us are ... brk fluid will just melt all steering rubber parts. All steering related t-here must be considered now as junk.

One could try to compensate this sad story by adding some new thrill to life: fill brake reservoir wit ATF. That will destroy whole braking system - totally. Btw. my friend tried this, lived to tell

Another friend's main brk cylinder failed on the road. Got new spare, swapped cylinder on public P-lot. He collected the used fluid into a coke bottle that happened to sit by... As three weeks later the coke bottle sits still there in trunk, it becomes mixed with other brown colored real cokes ...and drink he does. Luckily that was not the end of story - he survived in the ICU. (=Brk fluid doesnt neither belong into guts, the contained methyl alcohol is 1st class poison, should be ? sold only by permit)

Smbdy painted my RV spoilers using coolant liquid (the idiot had mixed bottles...) worked fine for six yrs. Sixth spring it all cracked like mud in dried lake, fell down. Oops timing -paint invented? (the idiot inventors identity has to be held secret.)
Old 04-25-2008, 07:18 AM

haha, relax guys...duh its not supposed to be in there. but it does work and ive had no problems for five or six months now....and it doesnt leak. when youre poor youre poor.....
Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 AM

haha, ... when youre poor youre poor.....
Tip to extend coins: if floor mat is too small, drop some brk fluid on. Get maxima sized floor mats... feels on toes like warm mushrooms.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 AM

you guys are all beat....it works, get over it
Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM
mod or sell?

sorry, but no.
bad advice is dangerous and potentialy lethal. have you ever had your steering lock up on you because the rack seized from stupidity?
now STFU
Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

if what works? putting DOT5 in your steering system? Sure it works today. But none of us will be sending flowers to your memorial service in a few months. I just hope you won't be leaving behind any children that will be missing/needing their father, or a wife missing/needing her husband.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 AM

Some substitue acid on bolts for loctite. Boy it works c-heap...
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

anyhow, point is, only real way to fix a leak is to fix a leak. I had a PS leak for the longest time. I tried stop-leak and all that other crap, nothing worked. Finally i decided to shell out $three for some new crush washers. and what do you know? 1 year of leak-free goodness. my PS pump is crap but that's a separate issue. i've got a spare to rebuild so it's all good. but that taught me to stop avoiding problems, and to just fix them. i've got some PS hoses i don't plan to use if you need them. i'll verify their condition with the PO first.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
anyhow, point is, only real way to fix a leak is to fix a leak. I had a PS leak for the longest time. I tried stop-leak and all that other crap, nothing worked. Finally i decided to shell out $three for some new crush washers. and what do you know? 1 year of leak-free goodness. my PS pump is crap but that's a separate issue. i've got a spare to rebuild so it's all good. but that taught me to stop avoiding problems, and to just fix them. i've got some PS hoses i don't plan to use if you need them. i'll verify their condition with the PO first.
yeah he said they're in good shape (he replaced the hi pressure hose himself so it's almost new) so PM me if you want the hose(s)
Old 04-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Most of us are ... brk fluid will just melt all steering rubber parts. All steering related t-here must be considered now as junk.

One could try to compensate this sad story by adding some new thrill to life: fill brake reservoir wit ATF. That will destroy whole braking system - totally. Btw. my friend tried this, lived to tell

Another friend's main brk cylinder failed on the road. Got new spare, swapped cylinder on public P-lot. He collected the used fluid into a coke bottle that happened to sit by... As three weeks later the coke bottle sits still there in trunk, it becomes mixed with other brown colored real cokes ...and drink he does. Luckily that was not the end of story - he survived in the ICU. (=Brk fluid doesnt neither belong into guts, the contained methyl alcohol is 1st class poison, should be ? sold only by permit)

Smbdy painted my RV spoilers using coolant liquid (the idiot had mixed bottles...) worked fine for six yrs. Sixth spring it all cracked like mud in dried lake, fell down. Oops timing -paint invented? (the idiot inventors identity has to be held secret.)
Its the best hearing this guy talk. You should write a book . Anyway I used a junk yard ps hose (after i flushed it out with fluid) and I have not had any leaks in 2 years. Talk about $2 going a long way.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 94maxteamrtv
Its the best hearing this guy talk. You should write a book . Anyway I used a junk yard ps hose (after i flushed it out with fluid) and I have not had any leaks in 2 years. Talk about $2 going a long way.
i know right! aren't cheap fixes the best? after swapping a good head from a bad block onto a good block with a bad head, we still couldn't get my friend's car to start. we were about to tear the IM apart again and swap the fuel pressure regulator but before we did, (after checking for fuel, spark, and compression) we decided to try new plugs just for the heck of it. $8 later we had a running engine. we used the plugs from the head-gasket-blown head, which had been shorted out and steam cleaned by the steam from all the coolant that got into the combustion chamber... go figure.

unfortunately my steering problems will take about 5 hours of labor and about $50 in additional parts to get it all fixed. no, wait, i also need tie rods. crap.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

No..what Really Works is replacing the bad/leaking part, not putting something in the p/s system that WILL eventually cause serious damage to the p/s system.

If you want to this to your car, fine, but don't give your harmful advice to any of the members in here...
Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
No..what Really Works is replacing the bad/leaking part, not putting something in the p/s system that WILL eventually cause serious damage to the p/s system.

If you want to this to your car, fine, but don't give your harmful advice to any of the members in here...
hence greeny's avatar, ftw.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:01 AM

Well not to get back on the original subject but, I replaced the power sterring hose and refilled with power sterring fluid and its seem to be working fine. No leaks anymore. Thanks again for your help all.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
mod or sell?

did you check your control arm bushing?