3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Did i order the right gasket? Fixin injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:38 AM

Did i order the right gasket? Fixin injectors

Ok, i let AZ order me the gaskets, i got a TB gasket, and an intake plenum gasket.. but now im worried they didnt get me the upper intake plenum gasket.
It looks like this.. the one they ordered.
http://www.carpartswholesale.com/pro...+Plenum+Gasket

and i ordered 2 new bosch injectors from internetauto, the guy on here figured id buy from a member.
i know i shoulda bought 6 but i cant afford it, and i will just do the job again someday, i dont care.

But my cars misfiring real bad, so this is an ASAP job before i blow the rings in my #1 cynlinder, which the compression on the #1 was 160.. so im good.

so i need to just make sure i have everything i need for the job, when the parts get here, cause i soon as i get it all... Im tearing it down.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That looks like a VE gasket to me, so if you have a VE it is hopefully right.

Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
Ok, i let AZ order me the gaskets, i got a TB gasket, and an intake plenum gasket.. but now im worried they didnt get me the upper intake plenum gasket.
It looks like this.. the one they ordered.
http://www.carpartswholesale.com/pro...+Plenum+Gasket

and i ordered 2 new bosch injectors from internetauto, the guy on here figured id buy from a member.
i know i shoulda bought 6 but i cant afford it, and i will just do the job again someday, i dont care.

But my cars misfiring real bad, so this is an ASAP job before i blow the rings in my #1 cynlinder, which the compression on the #1 was 160.. so im good.

so i need to just make sure i have everything i need for the job, when the parts get here, cause i soon as i get it all... Im tearing it down.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:54 AM

yea i do have the VE30 engine.. i just thought it was the lower intake gasket, not the upper? idk.. ive never really worked on this engine before.
And i HATE when i go to work on something and have a wrong part, then youre stuck with an engine torn apart waiting days for a part.
cant wait to fix it and feel it run right again
Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 PM

There are actually 2 lower gaskets, one for each head. I believe those run about $30+ so you would definately know if it was them. I always go to the dealer for gaskets its not really much more and I know I will get the right stuff. Do you have a FSM?

Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
yea i do have the VE30 engine.. i just thought it was the lower intake gasket, not the upper? idk.. ive never really worked on this engine before.
And i HATE when i go to work on something and have a wrong part, then youre stuck with an engine torn apart waiting days for a part.
cant wait to fix it and feel it run right again
Old 04-26-2008, 03:33 PM

no FSM, and the gasket i bought was $20.
i think i might have got the lower gasket for the rear bank, but i ordered a gasket for the intake plenum, soo i dont know whats what. lol
Old 04-26-2008, 04:36 PM

You only need one replacement gasket if you have a VE. You don't need to remove the throttle body to get the plenum off, so no need for TB gasket. If the gasket pictured is what you have, you're good to go, if you are replacing injectors in the rear bank. If the bad ones are in the front, you don't even need to remove the plenum at all which i'm sure you know.

BTW, running your car with a couple dead injectors isn't going fry your rings, who told you that?
Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
You only need one replacement gasket if you have a VE. You don't need to remove the throttle body to get the plenum off, so no need for TB gasket. If the gasket pictured is what you have, you're good to go, if you are replacing injectors in the rear bank. If the bad ones are in the front, you don't even need to remove the plenum at all which i'm sure you know.

BTW, running your car with a couple dead injectors isn't going fry your rings, who told you that?
Yea, #1 cynlinder is the problem, so rear bank, and the #2 injector also reads bad by ohms. So im replacing them both, for now. The other 4 someday probably.

Well I already got the TB gasket, didnt know it could all come off as one piece.. I might as well clean my IACV while im at it and I have the gasket then. It was only a $4 gasket, felpro too, i know thats a good brand

umm, i dont remember where i read that, but it made sense to me that running for to long of a time period with a cynlinder thats not firing, will wear out the upper ring.
and it sounds like a tank, but at WOT it smooths out, probably cause the other 5 pistons are making it crank over faster.
So although its noisy, youre saying i wont damage the cynlinder or piston/rings?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 PM
mod or sell?

running for a long period with a bad injector (not firing) will damage your rings and the bore of your cylinder because you lack lubrication in it.
and the question I have to ask is why did you buy the gaskets from someplace different then you were buying the injectors from?
it's usually better to get everything from one place at one shot.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
running for a long period with a bad injector (not firing) will damage your rings and the bore of your cylinder because you lack lubrication in it.
and the question I have to ask is why did you buy the gaskets from someplace different then you were buying the injectors from?
it's usually better to get everything from one place at one shot.
didnt know if ya had the gaskets or not.
And i borrowed the compression guage from AZ, so when I was bringing it back, i had them look up parts/prices.. their injector price for bosch was $130, yuck. Same as dealers price.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
mod or sell?

what brand is AZ getting it in?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
what brand is AZ getting it in?
beck arnley..
Old 04-28-2008, 04:21 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

The dealer has these gaskets for like 8 bucks...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Greeny
The dealer has these gaskets for like 8 bucks...
depends on the dealer, but list is only $13 on the high made up side.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 AM

automart, have you put together/offer a complete gasket set for engine rebuilds? now that its warming up i have to figure out what to do with my ve. i need to replace piston rings or fix valve guides to get the car to pass emissions. i am leaning toward rebuild rather than swap because of the gamble. it would be nice to get everything i need in one place at one time, like you said.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by sublunary
automart, have you put together/offer a complete gasket set for engine rebuilds? now that its warming up i have to figure out what to do with my ve. i need to replace piston rings or fix valve guides to get the car to pass emissions. i am leaning toward rebuild rather than swap because of the gamble. it would be nice to get everything i need in one place at one time, like you said.
there was one, but no one bought it and the company discontinued it.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM

what about you bundling the gaskets and selling them as a set? do you carry all the necessary gaskets and sell them separately?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
mod or sell?

yes I do