3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Many Issues. High idling, smoke out tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 PM

Many Issues. High idling, smoke out tailpipe

Okay, I looked through many post, but not able to seek what I'm looking for. So I figuere if I explain, maybe I can get some help or ideas. I'm not a mechanic, but know a few things. Here we go.

Okay just had valve cover gasket, and manifold gasket replace two months ago. Oil was leaking, and loud noise was the issue. After that was repaired, the car was sputtering still, and cutting off here and there, and I had to mash the clutch and give car some gas to crank it up. I replaced spark plugs, and fuel filter and that cut alot of the sputtering out, but there was still some. Didn't have a smooth take off, and still had to hold gas pedal down to crank up. I thought I was on the road for some good things still. At this point I figuered some gas treatment, or fuel injector cleaner would mello everything out. Two weeks later I think I lost my gas cap, and thought maybe water or air got in. Once the car would warm up, at every light, or stop sign car cuts off!! Pain in the a$$. I noticed the rpm would just hit rock bottom, I would try to go in to neutral while the car was rolling and give car gas, but as soon as I let off, car would cut off, even before I stopped! I was told it could be one or all of my fuel injectors causing this. Now the past two weeks my car now on start up revs up to about 2500rpm, sounds like I'm on the gas when I'm not. And I have smoke coming out the tail pipe smoking up the place. And a knocking sound coming from the engine. What in the world has happen. Does this sound like engine replacement coming??? Holla atcha boy
Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

what color is the smoke?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
what color is the smoke?
Hmm well it's not clear, like Head Gasket gone. And it's not a blue color. I just went and checked. It looks like maybe some oil may be coming out, i'm not sure, but it's like a grey color smoke.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by camron21
Hmm well it's not clear, like Head Gasket gone. And it's not a blue color. I just went and checked. It looks like maybe some oil may be coming out, i'm not sure, but it's like a grey color smoke.
dark enough to call it "black"?

also have you checked your ECU codes? if not go look in the "general maintenance sticky" and you can check to see if any sensors are on the fritz.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:48 PM

burnt valves?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM

Hi
I don't know much either but from what you say it sound like a problem around idling. The first thing that jumps to mind is iacv. Have you cleaned it recently? How much miles does the car have? Doubt if it is going to be a factor but maybe check that you get a good spark at each cylinder(maybe faulty plug lead or distributer) and check your timing.

Hope it helps.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM

The Car has 185,461 miles. Na the smoke isn't black. Haven't check ECU, but will look at the sticky now. Yeah the IACV i'll look into that, cause that could be a problem to because a lot of my little hoses are cracked and stuff. Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming, because I have a lot off issues....lol
Old 04-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

The Car has 185,461 miles. Na the smoke isn't black. Haven't check ECU, but will look at the sticky now. Yeah the IACV i'll look into that, cause that could be a problem to because a lot of my little hoses are cracked and stuff. Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming, because I have a lot off issues....lol
cracked little hoses are a BIG problem, even though the hoses themselves are little. I demonstrated this by unplugging my MAF and then pulling a vaccuum line. My engine stalled right out. So a bad MAF in conjunction with a vacuum leak could be one possibility (one of many possibilities). Bad MAF can cause smoke too, and overall roughness and such. But an unplugged MAF will prevent you from revving past 2k in a VG.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:45 PM

cracked little hoses are a BIG problem, even though the hoses themselves are little. I demonstrated this by unplugging my MAF and then pulling a vaccuum line. My engine stalled right out. So a bad MAF in conjunction with a vacuum leak could be one possibility (one of many possibilities). Bad MAF can cause smoke too, and overall roughness and such. But an unplugged MAF will prevent you from revving past 2k in a VG.
Dag, it's amazing how you take something as small as that for granted. I'll see if I can replace those. I went back outside just a while ago, and I did here a sound like a sisssssssss sound like air is leaking somewhere!! It looks like all the hoses is on at the top, but the sound comes from underneath the manifold a couple of inches from the firewall I belive.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Dag, it's amazing how you take something as small as that for granted. I'll see if I can replace those. I went back outside just a while ago, and I did here a sound like a sisssssssss sound like air is leaking somewhere!! It looks like all the hoses is on at the top, but the sound comes from underneath the manifold a couple of inches from the firewall I belive.
well the vaccuum lines run along the "rear" of the engine (which on a FWD car is actually the driver's side), plus some down in the driver-side headlight area (charcoal canister), and another few in the back of the IM for the fuel pressure regulator, brake booster, and water **** solenoid. If you have a camera can you take a picture of you pointing to where the hissing sounds like it's coming from? it could also be an exhaust leak.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

well the vaccuum lines run along the "rear" of the engine (which on a FWD car is actually the driver's side), plus some down in the driver-side headlight area (charcoal canister), and another few in the back of the IM for the fuel pressure regulator, brake booster, and water **** solenoid. If you have a camera can you take a picture of you pointing to where the hissing sounds like it's coming from? it could also be an exhaust leak.
an exhaust leak is usually a "putt" sound, however, an intake leak (if possible? (pre-manifold)) could hiss. so would a vacuum leak (which is made by intake iirc..)
Old 04-15-2008, 03:12 PM

Yeah I was gonna record everything, and post it on youtube.com, and post the link.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
an exhaust leak is usually a "putt" sound, however, an intake leak (if possible? (pre-manifold)) could hiss. so would a vacuum leak (which is made by intake iirc..)
if he has enough exhaust leaks, like I do, then it could be a hissing sound as well. I've got 2 broken studs and a slight crack in the flex section
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 PM

Yeah I was gonna record everything, and post it on youtube.com, and post the link.
CAP may be crap - even new one. If electrons can find a direct way to gnd before plug gap, they will
WIRES - not soot hoses: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/12

Distributor ground is definitely bad at this stage, check pages 10, 14....
Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Symptons

Dude,
It sounds like intake leak at the gasket, and terrible mechanic work. The SE motor can be complicated if ya don't know what you are doing. Your has various signs of failure. I would get some names! The roughness sounds like they used a used gasket or didn't do the job, or didn't issert exhaust bolts. The color of the smoke is very important too. White smoke =water in chamber, blueish white= oil burning in chamber, leaking valve seat, black smoke=running rich in fuel. The cutting off could be from intake leak at gasket too. Fuel pump would be a good start for checking why your car is stalling. You got some serious work ahead. Get the Haynes manual!

Sy
Old 04-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Symptons

Dude,
It sounds like intake leak at the gasket, and terrible mechanic work. The SE motor can be complicated if ya don't know what you are doing. Your has various signs of failure. I would get some names! The roughness sounds like they used a used gasket or didn't do the job, or didn't issert exhaust bolts. The color of the smoke is very important too. White smoke =water in chamber, blueish white= oil burning in chamber, leaking valve seat, black smoke=running rich in fuel. The cutting off could be from intake leak at gasket too. Fuel pump would be a good start for checking why your car is stalling. You got some serious work ahead. Get the Haynes manual!

Sy
Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by speedracerSE
Dude,

Sy
the VG of the 89-91 SE or the VE of the 92-94SE? I assume you are referring to the latter, since it's the more complicated of the two. And sadly haynes manuals are worthless for 3rd gen owners. They didn't line their year range up with the generations, they just picked RANDOM years that the book 'covers'. One book is up through 92 but they used a 2nd gen in the book. The 93 book uses the 4th gen

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-29-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm going to say it again. Don't buy Haynes or Chilton's manuals UNLESS you need something to prop up a short table leg or maybe as a fire starter.

Get the Service Manual. It's NOT that expensive (off eBay), it's about YOUR car and it has all the specs and TONS or diagrams.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by shoult
I'm going to say it again. Don't buy Haynes or Chilton's manuals UNLESS ...
To reach items on high cabins, 20 manuals are needed (to climb on). Glue em first together. If u fall, sue the evil hahahaynes empire.

Try given links, clicks are free.