3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

CAI gains?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 05:00 PM
Neice Anne

CAI gains?

Okay, I was expecting more out of my CAI, but were my expectations unreasonable? I don't notice any gains, which isn't to say there aren't any, but I figured it would accelerate kind of a lot better.. anyone else out there wanna tell me what kind of gains ya got when you installed a CAI, especially if you installed it before installing a Y pipe?
Thanks

Old 11-04-2001, 05:14 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

hmmm...i noticed some gains when my CAI was my only mod. i've noticed that the auto seems to lag a little down low. we installed a CAI on my buddies 90 5spd and judging by the butt dyno the 5spd took better.

anywho after i got my Y installed the gains across the powerband were excellent...i was pretty satisfied the the CAI/Y combo...
Old 11-04-2001, 05:41 PM
Ford Only.

Well James92SE posted, how he could really tell the difference. I have a pop charger, and will soon get the CAI. Trust me though the power is there, take it on a WOT freeway run. That is when you will really be able to tell. Besides gains your motor will breathe alot easier which will help. I have a question??? Neice Anne are you a chick? Sorry if not...But you know with the name neice anne...And your mom on the BBS I am just curious.
Old 11-04-2001, 10:08 PM
Neice Anne

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Well James92SE posted, how he could really tell the difference. I have a pop charger, and will soon get the CAI. Trust me though the power is there, take it on a WOT freeway run. That is when you will really be able to tell. Besides gains your motor will breathe alot easier which will help. I have a question??? Neice Anne are you a chick? Sorry if not...But you know with the name neice anne...And your mom on the BBS I am just curious.
Hehehe, nope, I kinda wish I could change my handle, I couldn't use my usual handle here because someone already had it, so I just tried to think of something... and as for Your Mom I just put that once because I didn't think I'd keep posting on 4dsc.com, but now I like it, and just kept the name... I can't really think of a handle I'd want to keep for a long time,

Old 11-04-2001, 10:50 PM
To them I'm like an idol

AT the Gas Station

Some of your better gains will be found here
Old 11-04-2001, 11:43 PM
Neice Anne

Re: AT the Gas Station

Originally posted by blackandwhite

What?!

Old 11-05-2001, 12:23 AM
To them I'm like an idol

What's so funny?

Originally posted by Neice Anne

What?!
I do have a 5spd, but I got a significant gas mileage boost from my CAI
Old 11-05-2001, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VG Gains???

My question goes along with this discussion, so help me please so I'm not misinformed and making the wrong plans…

I've been an avid reader of this board for the last few months (ever since I bought my 89SE) and have come to trust most of what I have read on this board. I have heard repeatedly that the VG has more low-end '*****'(tq)than the VE does, yet it lacks on the mid to upper end. Is the CAI a significant improvment over the popcharger with a 5sp VG engine? My understanding is that the popcharger aids in the mid to high end of the tq response, yet takes away (slightly) from the low-end, whereas the CAI aids in all areas.

I know that many of you guys have gone from the popcharger to the CAI and have been very pleased with the gains that you've experienced from the change, but I'm not clear on what advantage the gains are with the different intakes since it seems that the gains in hp are about the same from what I've read (I currently have the K&N filtercharger installed in the stock airbox - having removed the intake hose that runs behind the driver's side headlamp). I don't have a catback system, hi-flow muffler, or aftermarket y-pipe, so I'm just a 'stockboy' right now . My goal is to have the kind of efficient, unassuming power that the more expensive 'sport sedans' seem to have - but we all know where the idea came from, don't we. I want to be that car those high-priced sedan owners hate to pull up next to - looking as sharp as theirs, yet having paid so much less, and can still keep up with them (it would just have to suck, for them, wouldn't it?) Any suggestions on intake, exhaust, cat/catback systems & muffler(s) would be greatly appreciated, as I'm in the planning stages right now.

Also, I noticed that a couple of you guys on this thread are running 2.5" pipes. I thought I read somewhere on this board that 2.25" was the recommended size for y-pipes, etc. because of a feared low-end tq loss. Please clarify this for me so I'm no longer confused.

You guys are great!!! BTW - I've been thinking of coming up with a logo for the different generations of Maximas, and was interested in seeing what kind of response they'll get. Once I figure out how to post them, I'll include them in my signature.

peace2u
Old 11-05-2001, 10:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dmontzmax
... I have a question??? Neice Anne are you a chick?
Originally posted by Neice Anne
Hehehe, nope,
Aaaah yes, the internet is fraught with uncertainties and pitfalls

meeting "chicks" from chatrooms = DANGER!
Old 11-05-2001, 12:26 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: VG Gains???

Originally posted by Pit5Bull
My question goes along with this discussion, so help me please so I'm not misinformed and making the wrong plans…

I've been an avid reader of this board for the last few months (ever since I bought my 89SE) and have come to trust most of what I have read on this board. I have heard repeatedly that the VG has more low-end '*****'(tq)than the VE does, yet it lacks on the mid to upper end. Is the CAI a significant improvment over the popcharger with a 5sp VG engine? My understanding is that the popcharger aids in the mid to high end of the tq response, yet takes away (slightly) from the low-end, whereas the CAI aids in all areas.

I know that many of you guys have gone from the popcharger to the CAI and have been very pleased with the gains that you've experienced from the change, but I'm not clear on what advantage the gains are with the different intakes since it seems that the gains in hp are about the same from what I've read (I currently have the K&N filtercharger installed in the stock airbox - having removed the intake hose that runs behind the driver's side headlamp). I don't have a catback system, hi-flow muffler, or aftermarket y-pipe, so I'm just a 'stockboy' right now . My goal is to have the kind of efficient, unassuming power that the more expensive 'sport sedans' seem to have - but we all know where the idea came from, don't we. I want to be that car those high-priced sedan owners hate to pull up next to - looking as sharp as theirs, yet having paid so much less, and can still keep up with them (it would just have to suck, for them, wouldn't it?) Any suggestions on intake, exhaust, cat/catback systems & muffler(s) would be greatly appreciated, as I'm in the planning stages right now.

Also, I noticed that a couple of you guys on this thread are running 2.5" pipes. I thought I read somewhere on this board that 2.25" was the recommended size for y-pipes, etc. because of a feared low-end tq loss. Please clarify this for me so I'm no longer confused.

You guys are great!!! BTW - I've been thinking of coming up with a logo for the different generations of Maximas, and was interested in seeing what kind of response they'll get. Once I figure out how to post them, I'll include them in my signature.

peace2u
to answer your questions...i went from stock to CAI and noticed gains throughout mid to upper ranges...my buddy went from Pop to CAI in his VG 5spd and the gains were noticeable all across the powerband. IMO a CAI is a very worthwhile investment and i wouldn't have it any other way.

now to exhaust...i'm happy with my 2.5" piping. most of your performance Y-pipes will be 2.5" (i.e warpspeed, cattman) from there the hi-flow cats are generally 2.5" as well...i think the main fear is losing all backpressure running larger piping into a hi-flow muffler. i decided to stick with the 2K muffler to maintain backpressure and of course to keep the sound down...
Old 11-05-2001, 12:57 PM

Re: Re: VG Gains???

Originally posted by Chris91SE

to answer your questions...i went from stock to CAI and noticed gains throughout mid to upper ranges...my buddy went from Pop to CAI in his VG 5spd and the gains were noticeable all across the powerband. IMO a CAI is a very worthwhile investment and i wouldn't have it any other way.

now to exhaust...i'm happy with my 2.5" piping. most of your performance Y-pipes will be 2.5" (i.e warpspeed, cattman) from there the hi-flow cats are generally 2.5" as well...i think the main fear is losing all backpressure running larger piping into a hi-flow muffler. i decided to stick with the 2K muffler to maintain backpressure and of course to keep the sound down...
Chris91SE…

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of going with the CAI anyway just because the thought of a cooler running engine sounds like a really good idea Also, thanks for clarifying the whole backpressure issue. Does the resistance to the flow of exhaust to the muffler cause this backpressure? What's the benefit of this backpressure, and does this have anything to do with 'catback' systems? Sorry about all the q's, but where do I find out more info about that y2k muffler - when I do this exhaust upgrade, I really don't want to "advertise" - just "posterize!!!"

My brother has an 87 RX-7 with a dual exhaust and Thermal tips which is loud as hell!!! Like the devil's bagpipes or something... But the reason why I mention his car is because it doesn't seem to have too much pickup (it's an auto with a newly installed rebuilt engine & tranny). Is that because of the dual exhaust (don't know what diameter of pipes were used) or is it because RX-7s are slower than they look?

Thanks again and as always…

peace2u
Old 11-05-2001, 08:45 PM
Neice Anne

Re: AT the Gas Station

Originally posted by blackandwhite

Sorry, didn't understand that, I thought you were trying to say that the best gains for my car could be attained at the gas station (i.e. using high octane gas?) and was thinkin that was kinda odd of you to say, now I gotcha... great it's gonna help my mpg? I already get pretty damn good, 350 a tank.

Old 11-06-2001, 09:30 AM

P5Bull,

Pick up the November 2001 issue of Sport Compact Car if it's still around and check out their article on building your own exhaust. There's an excellent discussion on pipe diameters, flow, exhaust gas velocity, sound levels, etc. It should help answer a lot of your questions and maybe even dispel a myth or two that I keep seeing on this board.

Good Luck,

Kirk
Old 11-06-2001, 09:34 AM

See, now this is why I love this site!!

You guys are the best, man!

All this unsolicited GOOD advice . I'm just glad that, for the most part, everybody on this board is trying to help each other out with their cars. This is truly unique, and we should be glad that we have this outlet to ask questions and have them answered.

peace2u
Old 11-12-2001, 10:10 AM

JWT CAI

Is A Jim Wolf Technoligies Cold Air Intake any good. I have heard of them, I looked on JWT's Website and there wasn't anything about them. Does anyone have them. I have seen them for sell on ebay. Can someone please tell me if you know anything about them.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:03 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: JWT CAI

Originally posted by mateo92GXE
Is A Jim Wolf Technoligies Cold Air Intake any good. I have heard of them, I looked on JWT's Website and there wasn't anything about them. Does anyone have them. I have seen them for sell on ebay. Can someone please tell me if you know anything about them.
JWT doesn't make a CAI for our cars. They make a standard conical filter which just attaches to the MAF.