3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Steering column alignment / higher gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:57 PM

Steering column alignment / higher gears

So I posted a while back about me having to hold my steering wheel quite a bit to the left for the car to go straight, otherwise it'll just turn right constantly. not fun.

After my car fire and new rust damage from the past winter, Fixing this car became a project. But it's one step at a time, and first on the list is this goddamn steering problem, of which i noticed something that I should have noticed a long time ago, but never really... payed attention.

When I first start up my vehicle, the steering wheel is pretty much straight and need to turn it slightly to keep it straight, recently upon shooting out of an intersection whilst flooring it (heck it's still a mechanically sound dream car), I noticed the shift in gears and the steering column itself showed another piece of evidence to this problem...

after letting my foot off the gas the steering shot to the right pretty quickly, and I quickly compensated by yanking the steering wheel to it's 'normal' hap-hazard jerk - it - to - the - left spot.... So, apparently my steering needs to be pulled further and further to the left with each higher gear. Alas, I no not what that's all about, and I could really use some skilled insight from my fello 3rd gen freaks so that I may better able myself to fix this thing one step at a time.

And don't worry, another 3rd gen isn't going to fall into nothingness. This thing will be restored, as God as my witness.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
STFU n00b!

Sounds like the control arm bushings and possibly some other stuff- engine mounts and the like.

At this age, any rubber mount or bushing on the car that hasn't been replaced will need it.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:43 AM
kthxbye2u

yeah.... check your pass side control arm bushing. its probably gone from power steering fluid leaking onto it and you have no bushing.

replace your control arm as Matt said.

internetautomar sells them for cheap and comes with all the hardware i replaced mine a week ago
Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 PM

I can't find a 'control arm' on internatautomar's website...

Does it go by another name of which I am not familiar with?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Maus
I can't find a 'control arm' on internatautomar's website...

Does it go by another name of which I am not familiar with?
http://www.internetautosupply.com/ca..._994_1450.html
Old 06-21-2008, 01:59 PM

Oh wow I'm dumb. Thanks.

If I have to hold my steering wheel to the left... And my front left tire is constantly loosing air and wearing down much faster then my other tires... I'm guessing, it's the lower left control arm that needs replacing? or the right?

Yes, I'm learning here.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Maus
Oh wow I'm dumb. Thanks.

If I have to hold my steering wheel to the left... And my front left tire is constantly loosing air and wearing down much faster then my other tires... I'm guessing, it's the lower left control arm that needs replacing? or the right?

Yes, I'm learning here.
to be honest, go ahead, make an afternoon of it, and do both. the reason I suggest this is because the right side gets the steering fluid treatment, causing it to die quicker. replacing it would make the left side noticeably out of whack, so it saves time to do both. only waiting for shipping once.