3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

'90 Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:24 AM

'90 Automatic Transmission

Well I searched the forums for this, but didn't find a concrete solution to this question.

My tranny Is still working pretty well, but it's at 203k and I really think it needs some loving.

First I'm not sure if after all this trannys time living under my hood, if it's safe to get a complete flush to clear out all that nasty old fluid? There was a period when it was a bit low on fluid, and now it's a bit high... ya, my first car, learning things the hardway.

Second I'd like to look into an auxiliary tranny cooler but really as far as types, brands, whatevers I'm not too sure what to shoot for... What do you guys suggest? and what's prooven?

Third, I want to stick in just the right amount of the healthiest tranny vitamin fluid I can find... I'm leaning for either Dexron VI ATF or Red line Synthetic ATF. I'm leaning more towards the Redline, what are your guys thoughts?

and last... I'm not quite sure how many quarts exactly this tranny holds, and moreover how much it will hold once I get my aux. tranny cooler all squared and ready to go, however much fluid THAT will hold. I heard the GXE tranny holds about 4.5 straight fluid by itself... but I'm not sure, and if i were to get a specific aux cooler, I'm not sure how much THAT will hold. Ya, I'm in a bit of a brainpan here... And then there's the tranny gaskets and filters...

Any and all help would be appreciated on this one. My beut has so hard work ahead of her.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:52 PM
mod or sell?

Go synthetic on the trans fluid, along with the trans cooler.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Get the Hayden trans cooler. Any parts store will carry it. And go with the synthetic fluid (I use Amsoil). Be forwarned, automatic transmissions have a tendancy to not like th efluid flushed after it has been in too long. The parts tend to build up a varnish holding everything tight. New fluid tends to loosen that varnish and within a week...tranny doesn't work anymore.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:58 PM

What's the maintenance history on the transmission of this car? I'd do several drain and refills (3-4) with couple of hundred miles in between each.

Synthetic is highly regarded. You can try Mobil1 ATF or Amsoil ATF. Both are full synthetic.

Good Luck.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spartuss
What's the maintenance history on the transmission of this car? I'd do several drain and refills (3-4) with couple of hundred miles in between each.

Synthetic is highly regarded. You can try Mobil1 ATF or Amsoil ATF. Both are full synthetic.

Good Luck.
Why not just stick with the Nissan trans fluid?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 PM

How do you switch to synthetic ATF by using the drain refill procedure?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Ya, what's the best way of draining all the old fluid? Just by removing the drain plug? Or is there a flush procedure?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Get the Hayden trans cooler. Any parts store will carry it. And go with the synthetic fluid (I use Amsoil). Be forwarned, automatic transmissions have a tendancy to not like th efluid flushed after it has been in too long. The parts tend to build up a varnish holding everything tight. New fluid tends to loosen that varnish and within a week...tranny doesn't work anymore.

just to help this guy who wants the trans cooler and to get myself some info on this to... what size cooler should be good for the transmissions? i can get a 26,000gvwr cooler for 49.99 but im gonna say thats way to big but how about an 18,000 or so is that good?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 AM

For our cars? The smallest one. There is no need to get the "super heavy duty-made for trucls towing trailers thru the mountains" cooler. You are just trying to get the fluid away from the heat of the engine and out in the wind to cool a few more degrees.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 AM
mod or sell?

if you can find a thermostat for the trans cooler:
1. let me know where!
2. get it!
it would help the transmission work better and last longer.
Sadly, I have not found one.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:27 PM

With a drain, you won't get all the fluid out. But if you do several drain and refills with 100 miles in between, most of the fluid will be replaced with new fluid.

Switching to synthetic is easy. Just drain and refill. Synthetic is compatible with conventional and won't cause any problems.

If you want the less expensive route, feel free to use Nissan fluid or any quality Dexron III fluid such as Castrol, Valvoline MaxLife, and Pennzoil.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM

203k thats very good.
i got a tranny cooler from a caddy seville sts (long story).
the way the tranny cooler is set-up (called plate and fin design) is better set-up.
I used 8 quarts of valvoline max life tranny fluid.

i drained the fluid out about 2.5-3 quarts came out.
refilled with the same amount drove for about 50-75miles.
did the same over and over.