3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5 spd jumps out of first gear.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5 spd jumps out of first gear.

Lately I've notice that when I'm in first and try to move off the gear shift jolts out of first. It would only stay in gear if I hold it in place. Any ideas on the problem?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Nmax92
Lately I've notice that when I'm in first and try to move off the gear shift jolts out of first. It would only stay in gear if I hold it in place. Any ideas on the problem?
could be a broken checkball spring that isn't holding it in place anymore.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:36 AM

1st gear Synchro's is going up! keep driving it and soon u even be able put it in first gear!Its a common problem for third gear in honda's!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:37 AM

what is that and where is it located?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 AM

I forgot to mention that I'm hearing a rubbing noise that goes away only when I press ON the clutch pedal.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:44 AM

what is that and where is it located?
inside of the trans! I'd say start looking for a new trans. Or go to nissan and get a complete 1st gear assembly!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 AM

I forgot to mention that I'm hearing a rubbing noise that goes away only when I press ON the clutch pedal.
That sound like the throw out bearing inside the trans could be goin bad or the clutch.Have some from a trans shop look at it asap!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 AM

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. There was a time when I started the car and heard a grinding noise, it turned out to be the starter was hanging on by a bolt. I think when I started it some teeth from the flywheel broke.
I guess your right about getting a new tranny. if and when I get one I'll have the shop check it out before I put it on. How long do you think I have left on the old trans.?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 AM

u will know cause its gonna get worst. But ill say about month in a half it depends on how much u drive it.Now if u drive it every day then a month.If u drive jus start off in second.Stay away from first!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well that is typically associated with an input shaft bearing, but some other type of internal rubbing on the input shaft could cause that as well. i forget which shaft the 1st gear meshes to.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by jdmjunky
u will know cause its gonna get worst. But ill say about month in a half it depends on how much u drive it.Now if u drive it every day then a month.If u drive jus start off in second.Stay away from first!
hold your horses dude! no need to jump to conclusions quite yet, and waste away the clutch starting in 2nd if the internals arent even the problem!

first he can check that check ball, and also see if it's a bearing gone bad on one of the shafts... also the throwout bearing makes noise when the clutch is DOWN, he said his noise goes away when the clutch goes down.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:59 AM

you know anyone selling a Vg 5 speed?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

you know anyone selling a Vg 5 speed?
you might not need one first off (possible to have whatever is wrong fixed for cheaper), and secondly, where is your location?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM

dude. what is the check ball?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM

I would have yours looked at first
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM

I'm in new york, ny
Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

dude. what is the check ball?
it's a metal ball, about the size of a medium sized pearl, that is pushed on by a spring. the shift rods have little divits in them so when you put it in gear, the divit moves over the ball, ball pops up into it, and holds tension on it. pull it out of gear you feel resistance then it just loses resistance into neutral.

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_01010...wler/step7.jpg

if that spring breaks, the ball won't push on the divit anymore. there's like 5 of them i think? maybe more maybe less.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:56 PM

I'll check it out. I can check it with the trans. on the car right? From the pic, the trans is off the car.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:00 PM

If I do need a new spring, is there a part # for from the dealer?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:45 PM

sounds like the input shaft bearing is gone, when the plastic spacers between the ***** falls out and the shaft is free to move around and soon the plastic pieces will get jammed in the shifting forks and lock you out of gears, try not to drive it that much if at all and get new bearings put in ASAP

or check with maxima-junky to see if he has a tranny

Last edited by vernk; 06-27-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:46 PM

This may help. Today I parked and put it in 1st gear. when I took my foot the clutch and brake, the car kept rolling. Its as if 1st doesn't engage at all and/or the teeth on 1st gear are worn. I put in reverse and it didn't move when I parked.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:10 PM
STFU n00b!

only way to fix either problem is to pull the tranny.
rebuild the tranny and install a new clutch kit (w/ to bearing) while you're in there and it'll be done.
expect $1200 if you pay a shop. you can do it yourself for about $400 in parts.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:33 PM

if its gonna cost about $1200 i should get another car, that as much as the value of a 3rd gen. Besides, I have no experience in rebuilding a tranny.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:25 PM

It's not a check ball.. Caped is taking a wild guess and is confused. If there was a missing check ball, it would get locked in or out of gears, not pop out.

Input shaft bearing needs replaced, brass needs replaced.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Hectic
It's not a check ball.. Caped is taking a wild guess and is confused. If there was a missing check ball, it would get locked in or out of gears, not pop out.

Input shaft bearing needs replaced, brass needs replaced.
wild guess, sure you can call it that. I've heard of issues with particular gears caused by check ball problems... after reading more of what he said I realized it wasn't a check ball-related issue after all, but didn't actually make a post saying so. no need to call me out mang...
Old 06-29-2008, 06:11 AM

A bad input shaft bearing would cause it to jump out of gear or not even lock up when parked?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

A bad input shaft bearing would cause it to jump out of gear or not even lock up when parked?
if the bearing is worn, the shaft isnt where it should be, its wobbling around. it would pop out of a gear if not fully engaged, and the car could roll if the gears are not touching.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
wild guess, sure you can call it that. I've heard of issues with particular gears caused by check ball problems... after reading more of what he said I realized it wasn't a check ball-related issue after all, but didn't actually make a post saying so. no need to call me out mang...
I wasn't calling you out, I just assumed you were confusing other threads about being stuck in gear, with popping out of gear, which is understandable.

Nmax: A broken IPS bearing alone is most likely not going to cause it to jump out of gear. I drove for about 10k miles with a blown bearing and finally I was forced to replace it because it started to make bad gear grinding sounds when I let off the clutch or i'd be unable to move the shifter to the 1-2 side of the gate, and position switch was shorting out and kept blowing the engine control fuse just by moving the shifter. All 3 of these syptoms started happening at the same time, but it never jumped out of any gears. If that's what's happening, on top of the input shaft bearing, you're probably looking at a complete rebuild because you have two seperate issues. If you just replaced the input shaft bearing, I bet it would still pop out of gear because of worn synchros. What ben said is likely the cause of the grinding sound that I experienced, but it's not going to make it pop out of gear because the alignment (or misalignment) of the input shaft doesn't have anything to do with how the gears mesh.

Anyway, it's replacement tranny or rebuild time.. At the very least, you could do what 505Max has done before and work on the tranny while it is on the car by taking the cover off. To do that though, you really need to know how everything goes together or it will be easy to lose things. In order to rebuild the shafts, you need several specialty tools as well as a press. All you need for the input shaft bearing is a press really but like I was saying, sounds like you need all new brass which requires a rebuild of the shafts. If you pull the tranny yourself and take it to a shop, you could get a decent price on a full rebuild. Opposed to having them remove and reinstall it.

Last edited by Hectic; 06-29-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Hectic
I wasn't calling you out, I just assumed you were confusing other threads about being stuck in gear, with popping out of gear..

Nmax: A broken IPS bearing alone is most likely not going to cause it to jump out of gear. I drove for about 10k miles with a blown bearing and finally I was forced to replace it because it started to make bad gear grinding sounds when I let off the clutch or i'd be unable to move the shifter to the 1-2 side of the gate, and position switch was shorting out and kept blowing the engine control fuse just by moving the shifter. All 3 of these syptoms started happening at the same time, but it never jumped out of any gears. If that's what's happening, on top of the input shaft bearing, you're probably looking at a complete rebuild because you have two seperate issues. If you just replaced the input shaft bearing, I bet it would still pop out of gear because of worn synchros. What ben said is likely the cause of the grinding sound that I experienced, but it's not going to make it pop out of gear because the alignment (or misalignment) of the input shaft doesn't have anything to do with how the gears mesh.

Anyway, it's replacement tranny or rebuild time.. At the very least, you could do what 505Max has done before and work on the tranny while it is on the car by taking the cover off. To do that though, you really need to know how everything goes together or it will be easy to lose things. In order to rebuild the shafts, you need several specialty tools as well as a press. All you need for the input shaft bearing is a press really but like I was saying, sounds like you need all new brass which requires a rebuild of the shafts. If you pull the tranny and take it to a shop, you could get a decent price on a full rebuild. Opposed to having them pull and reinstall the tranny.
o ok. nah, as soon as he said the thing about 1st not holding it put i knew it was an internal issue and not a checkball. i've heard about stuck gears from that and whatnot but yea this isn't that.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:32 PM

This may help. Today I parked and put it in 1st gear. when I took my foot the clutch and brake, the car kept rolling. Its as if 1st doesn't engage at all and/or the teeth on 1st gear are worn. I put in reverse and it didn't move when I parked.
more then likely you have the plastic pieces jammed in the forks not allowing it to go into gear, if you put it in R and back up for a bit (like half a block or so) it might kick it back out so that it will go in to gear.

if you continue to drive with the bad bearing it will wear on the main input gear and soon the gear set will have to be replaced or the whole tranny will be worthless and these trannys are getting hard to come by these days
Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 AM

get a new transmission. btw they all suck i pulled 4 from yard till i found a good one.