3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Pesky Seat warning belt light and chime

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 PM

Pesky Seat warning belt light and chime

I'm OK with the seat belt warning system doing what it's supposed to, but it unnecessarily warns me on and off while driving. My 92 does it from the passenger side- I can "TAP-TAP" on it and it will go away, but comes back. My 93 is the driver side.

This has got to be easy... what is the fix??
Old 07-02-2008, 10:54 PM

Muffed the thread title.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 PM

you can 'disable' it:

http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/

in the how-to's

Check the FAQ sticky first. This is one of the links listed there and I'm sure many of your questions will be answered with a little bit of 'search' and research.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 AM

I could... but would rather fix it.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM
don't even worry about it

I didn't really want to disable mine either, but I've noticed that it only does it in the extremes of weather. For instance, when it's really cold (aka, single digits or below zero) it'll go a little cuckoo, ditto for when it goes above 90... but it's been quiet for some time now and actually does its job. If I start my car without being belted it'll chime 5 times and then be quiet, but if I am belted before starting it won't chime at all, or if I belt up in the midst of its chiming I can hear it truncate.

I'd say if you don't want to disable it, just ignore it.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by cmachemer
I didn't really want to disable mine either, but I've noticed that it only does it in the extremes of weather. For instance, when it's really cold (aka, single digits or below zero) it'll go a little cuckoo, ditto for when it goes above 90... but it's been quiet for some time now and actually does its job. If I start my car without being belted it'll chime 5 times and then be quiet, but if I am belted before starting it won't chime at all, or if I belt up in the midst of its chiming I can hear it truncate.

I'd say if you don't want to disable it, just ignore it.
do you drive my car?
I dont hit single digits or below, but mine does the same thing. all winter long, not a single ding. summer hits(almost the same day summer officially starts) it came back.
I dont want to disable mine, either. supposedly, this can be covered by the factory lifetime warranty on seatbelt repair. when I called nissan to get more info about it, they said my car was "branded," possibly due to a wreck in the past(they were unsure why it was labeled such) and would not cover the warranty work. I sure as hell am not paying the dealership to work on my car. I'll just live with the ding-ding and the light.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

If the problem is intermittent try adding a ground kit so that your electrical signal will be stronger throughout the car and probably help the situation. You can get them from Matt93SE at his website, http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ww.blehmco.com. Othwerwise you'll probably have to find out where the sensors are and the chime and make sure that all the connections are clean and strong.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
supposedly, this can be covered by the factory lifetime warranty on seatbelt repair.
Hmmmmm- lifetime warranty eh? I'll have to read up on *that*.

Yes... seems to been happening mor since the sun got brighter and it got above 85 deg., +/-.

Off topic: Ben- any way I can get a full sized file of the cookie monster??
Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by JC93SE
Hmmmmm- lifetime warranty eh? I'll have to read up on *that*.

Yes... seems to been happening mor since the sun got brighter and it got above 85 deg., +/-.

Off topic: Ben- any way I can get a full sized file of the cookie monster??
yeah. supposedly. I got some runaround as i explained above, so it may be covered by some dealerships, and others not.

OT: yeah, cookie monster getting his bake on. pm sent.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:24 AM

I could... but would rather fix it.
Get a multimeter and start tracing through your wiring diagram of the seatbelt switch. To fix it requires some electrical troubleshooting=not much fun. I disabled mine because it's not worth the effort when you can easily check when they're unhooked... but to each his own.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by mattyd
Get a multimeter and start tracing through your wiring diagram of the seatbelt switch. To fix it requires some electrical troubleshooting=not much fun.
I haven't looked at the FSM yet. I figured I'd ask and see if there was a simple answer. I don't think it's an electrical Gremlin, just an issue at a switch that the mouse mechanism taps when it's in "door closed" position. Probably just a switch that needs cleaning or adjusting, I guess.

Just wondered if someone had done it.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 AM

im sure when you buckle the belt it just completes or brakes a circuit. i would just take the harness under the seat cut the wires and splice them together and see if that fixes it. you can do the same thing for clutch pedal and starting the vehicle.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by daftinnovations
i would just take the harness under the seat cut the wires and splice them together and see if that fixes it. you can do the same thing for clutch pedal and starting the vehicle.
I could do that, but probably won't. What is your issue with pushing in the clutch to start?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I could do that, but probably won't. What is your issue with pushing in the clutch to start?
i wired my clutch switch and my neutral sensor in parallel. that way i only have to re-push the clutch if for whatever bizarre reason I stall, like I did when facing downhill in a no-pressure situation last week ftl.

your warning light could possibly be a broken or snagged wire too... those are always a biyatch.