3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

300zx wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 05:25 PM

300zx wheels

hey i was wandering if any of you guys have pictures you could email me or just post of 300zx wheels on a 3rd gen. i really want to see a front and/or back view so i can see if they stick out of the wheel well. also what size 16 inch tire would be good on my max. thanks for your help.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 300zx wheels

Originally posted by avusblue92se
hey i was wandering if any of you guys have pictures you could email me or just post of 300zx wheels on a 3rd gen. i really want to see a front and/or back view so i can see if they stick out of the wheel well. also what size 16 inch tire would be good on my max. thanks for your help.
I don't have any pics of Z wheels on a max, but as for the tire size go to http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi and enter in the stock size first (205/65-r15) and press enter to go to the next line, and enter a few sizes to guess and test. It gives you how much difference there would be (for speedometer, and odometer) in percentages. By just playing around, it looks like 215/55-r16 would be your best bet.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Completely OT - is your car actually Avus Blue? Have any pics?
Old 11-07-2001, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Weasel
Completely OT - is your car actually Avus Blue? Have any pics?

yeah it is actually avus blue. my mom backed into it last year around this time. i really like the color because you don't see many blue maximas. unfortunately i don't have any pictures.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:16 AM
STFU n00b!

I know of several guys that have 300ZX wheels on their cars, but I don't have any pics right off hand. they fit well and don't stick out at all.
the only problem fitting them is you'll need some 1/4 or 3/8" spacers and longer studs at least for the rear. the fronts don't NEED it, but would make things fit a little better overall.
you can use 215/55/16 or 225/50/16 tires with no problems.

Be sure to get the 300ZX N/A rims, or two pairs of front rims off a 300ZX Turbo. the rears on the TTZ are an inch too wide.

for more info, try doing a search in this forum on 300zx rims.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:21 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=300zx+wheels

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=300zx+rims

there are a couple
Old 11-07-2001, 08:56 AM

Kinda on the topic…

Does anybody know if the wheels on an RX-7 would fit a 3rd Gen Max?

I ask because my brother has an 87 RX-7 that he bought used for $1G, but he's selling it because there's a baby on the way. He has some nice 17" Chrome Fondmetal wheels on it (the front tires are 215s, the rear are 235s - about 2 months old). They're a thick 5-Star, 5-lug pattern, but I'm unsure if the offset is the same.

Since he told me he doesn't want to sell the car with the wheels on it, I'd love to take them off his hands if they'll fit.

Any ideas?

peace2u
Old 11-07-2001, 09:45 AM

Re: Kinda on the topic…

Originally posted by Pit5Bull
Does anybody know if the wheels on an RX-7 would fit a 3rd Gen Max?

I ask because my brother has an 87 RX-7 that he bought used for $1G, but he's selling it because there's a baby on the way. He has some nice 17" Chrome Fondmetal wheels on it (the front tires are 215s, the rear are 235s - about 2 months old). They're a thick 5-Star, 5-lug pattern, but I'm unsure if the offset is the same.

Since he told me he doesn't want to sell the car with the wheels on it, I'd love to take them off his hands if they'll fit.

Any ideas?

peace2u
Try to find out what offset they have and if the bolt pattern for the rx-7 is 5 x 114.3. I think offsets from 30 - 38mm should be okay from what I've heard. Try going to www.discounttiredirect.com to find the rims your friend has - I was there last night and they carry Fondmetal.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:49 AM

Re: Re: Kinda on the topic…

Originally posted by Bman

Try to find out what offset they have and if the bolt pattern for the rx-7 is 5 x 114.3. I think offsets from 30 - 38mm should be okay from what I've heard. Try going to www.discounttiredirect.com to find the rims your friend has - I was there last night and they carry Fondmetal.
Bman,

Thanks for the info, bro! I'm going to check out that site, but I'd be very surprised if they carry these particular Fondmetal wheels because I checked out the Fondmetal website and I didn't see them at all. I just hope they fit, because I may be able to offer my brother 5 bills for them, and he'll probably go for it. Thanks again!

peace2u
Old 11-07-2001, 10:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Kinda on the topic…

Bman,

I checked out the Discount Tire Direct website and just did a search on the Fondmetal wheels that I was looking for, and as I suspected, they weren't there (I have no idea how old these wheels are, or what the model number/name is, but I suspect that they're a discontinued model). Anyway, I noticed that when I did the profile for my brother's car and for my Max, I noticed that the same wheel (17" Fondmetal Type 6500) will fit both cars. Does this mean that the bolt pattern is the same, or does this mean that the offset is within a reasonable range for both cars? I don't want to get TOO excited about being able to buy my brother's wheels from him unless I'm sure that they'll fit - but from the looks of things, they probably will. (I can just imagine how TIGHT they'll look on my Max, though!!! :P)

Thanks again for the info, and please let me know what you think ASAP - I don't want him selling the car before I can get the wheels!!!

BTW - Does the fact that he has different sized tires on the front and back mean that the depth of the wheels is different (215s front(17x7) vs. 235s rear(17x7.5))?

peace2u
Old 11-07-2001, 10:56 AM

Hmm, funny you mention the 6500. I just went there and did a "search by car" look at wheels and the Fondmetal 6500 came up in TWO different offsets - which is why I'm a bit apprehensive. The 35mm offset model of that should fit fine, but the 42mm one might be iffy. What this means is that your brother's rims might be offset as much as 42mm or as little as 35mm.

If you can't find out what offset they are you might want to try putting them on your car and seeing if they get close to the suspension parts with the wheel at full lock both ways. Jeff92SE on the BBS said his 17x8 Mustang rims (which have 30mm offset) and 235/45 size tires still have "some room" to the (control arm? strut? -can't remember) and okayed a 38mm offset rim to someone else. As offset gets bigger the rim moves inward. Mustang rims get close to the fender I think so hopefully there's more room to move inward. He also said that it mattered if the tire had a "curb protector bead" on the side of the tire that makes it wider.

As for tire size, that's something else. You might even have room to fit his rears on your front, but the main issue here is how tall the tires are. Go to http://www.miata.net/garage/garagetires.html and use their handy Tire Size Calculator to see if the tires he has on them now are close to your stock size (205/65 R15). Gearing and spedometer may be slightly off depending how different the sizes are.

Okay, back to work now before they fire me (I'll still be around tho)
Old 11-07-2001, 11:25 AM

Good lookin' out, BMan…

Thanks again, bro!

I'll definitely look into it, just as soon as I get my ride back next week!

peace2u
Old 11-07-2001, 02:29 PM

Craig B thanks for the links, i only could get the second working. i definately like the way the rims look, and i think the fact that they only weigh 19lbs, and that it is nissan original equipment has sold me on the idea.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:38 PM

BMan…

[i] As for tire size, that's something else. You might even have room to fit his rears on your front, but the main issue here is how tall the tires are. Go to http://www.miata.net/garage/garagetires.html and use their handy Tire Size Calculator to see if the tires he has on them now are close to your stock size (205/65 R15). Gearing and spedometer may be slightly off depending how different the sizes are. [/B]
The tires he's currently running are Falken 215/45 z17 on the front (no idea how long they've been on the car), and Falken 235/45 z17 on the rear (only about 1 month old - had them put on myself). I've had Falkens before, and they're okay - I just hope they're not too loud on my car (it's hard to tell if they're loud on his car because of his loud a$$ exhaust). If the wheels fit, and everything's okay, I'll eventually move to some Kumhos that I found on another website for around $99/tire (40/50 series, I think).

peace2u
Old 11-07-2001, 03:48 PM

Re: BMan…

Originally posted by Pit5Bull

The tires he's currently running are Falken 215/45 z17 on the front (no idea how long they've been on the car), and Falken 235/45 z17 on the rear (only about 1 month old - had them put on myself). I've had Falkens before, and they're okay - I just hope they're not too loud on my car (it's hard to tell if they're loud on his car because of his loud a$$ exhaust). If the wheels fit, and everything's okay, I'll eventually move to some Kumhos that I found on another website for around $99/tire (40/50 series, I think).

peace2u
Hey, good stuff! The 215 tire is 3.4% too small according to the miata.net calculator while the 235 tire is theoretically perfect for our cars and the biggest size we can fit easily. I would KEEP the rear tires and just get new Kumhos for the fronts. If you want to go cheap for now, you could just run with the 2 different sized tires and it won't hurt anything (unless they look funky). I would run the wider tires in front if you have stock suspension since our cars naturally understeer. Also this way your speedo will be accurate.

When you're test-fitting look between the tire and strut tube. Jeff said there's about 1/4 to 1/2" clearance with his rims I mentioned above so use that as a guideline to see how close you are to that. I'm hoping closer than that is okay, but further may rub the fender. Good luck!