3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Swapped wiring harness, now won't crank..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Swapped wiring harness, now won't crank..

Some of you may remember by 89 SE 5spd that kept blowing the Engine control fuse because some wire was grounding to metal. The car would crank, but the fuse would blow when the key was turned to the ON position, which would cut off the fuel pump.

I had a complete wiring harness from my 90 GXE Auto so I decided to swap the entire harness instead of trying to find the wire. I swapped the interior harness (the ones that goes to trunk), and the one that goes AROUND the engine bay. That's where the short was, I found the wire that was fryed, it was where the outer engine bay harness enters the car, near the driver side fender.

So now the outer engine bay harness (headlights, etc.) and the interior harness (to trunk) is from my 90 GXE, and the ECU and actual engine harness (injectors, etc.), are from the 89 5spd.

I haven't put everything back together, but I think enough that the car should be able to start. But now, the car doesn't crank. The Engine Control fuse doesn't blow when I turn the key to the ON position, but when I turn the key to crank, I hear a "tick" from the area above the fuse box..

any ideas?

Thanks all
Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by aminus21
Some of you may remember by 89 SE 5spd that kept blowing the Engine control fuse because some wire was grounding to metal. The car would crank, but the fuse would blow when the key was turned to the ON position, which would cut off the fuel pump.

I had a complete wiring harness from my 90 GXE Auto so I decided to swap the entire harness instead of trying to find the wire. I swapped the interior harness (the ones that goes to trunk), and the one that goes AROUND the engine bay. That's where the short was, I found the wire that was fryed, it was where the outer engine bay harness enters the car, near the driver side fender.

So now the outer engine bay harness (headlights, etc.) and the interior harness (to trunk) is from my 90 GXE, and the ECU and actual engine harness (injectors, etc.), are from the 89 5spd.

I haven't put everything back together, but I think enough that the car should be able to start. But now, the car doesn't crank. The Engine Control fuse doesn't blow when I turn the key to the ON position, but when I turn the key to crank, I hear a "tick" from the area above the fuse box..

any ideas?

Thanks all
just to be sure... the engine bay harness you replaced is the one that connects to the CTS, injectors, IACV, EGR solenoid, etc, right? do you have those extra empty plugs for the a/t hookups? if so that's possibly your problem. the a/t was wired a little bit different from the m/t harnesses. also make sure you didn't hook your tranny controls to your front injector subharness and iacv harness by mistake (and thus, your injector hookup to your reverse/neutral switch)

i did an auto->manual swap so i got to wire it the way i wanted. you, however, have a stock 5spd and i don't remember how that was supposed to work. to start do you have to be in neutral AND push the clutch to start it, or push the clutch regardless of gear or what...? if you have to be in neutral and push the clutch, then an a/t harness in an m/t car might not read neutral position correctly. just look at the harness going to your reverse/neutral switch on your tranny and make sure the wire colors match the harness you removed from your car (you will have to swap a few wires around to make it work, but the contacts pop right out of the plug if you stick a needle or eyeglasses screwdriver in there and push the lock tab up.) http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...p/IMG_1287.jpg

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 07-08-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:53 AM

no no, the engine bay harness I replaced is NOT the one for the injectors, CTS, etc. That one is still original 89 5spd.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by aminus21
no no, the engine bay harness I replaced is NOT the one for the injectors, CTS, etc. That one is still original 89 5spd.
so then the one you replaced is the one that runs under the radiator support beam?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
so then the one you replaced is the one that runs under the radiator support beam?
yes, that's correct.

The clicking when i turn the key is coming from the relays on the underdash fuse boxes.