3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

adding proximity sensor, glass break sensor, and shock sensor to OEM alarm this weeke

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 05:17 PM

adding proximity sensor, glass break sensor, and shock sensor to OEM alarm this weeke

I have all the parts ordered, they should be here by thursday/friday. I will put attempt to integrate them to the stock alarm. If this works, you'll be the first to hear.

Right now I haev a DEI keyless entry /w remote start, lately I've been wanting an alarm in thecar, but don't want to pay the 100+ for one. If these add-ins work, I will add a digital tilt sensor with plans for a siren soon

make-shift alarms are fun
Old 11-14-2001, 11:53 PM

Re: adding proximity sensor, glass break sensor, and shock sensor to OEM alarm this weeke

I've splicd in a shock sensor to the stock alarm, it works nicely, I still need to tweak the settings. I'm trying to figure out a way to use the pre-warn function off the shock sensor. My radar sensor broke when I was putting it in, so I will be getting a replacement, I would assume it would work nicely too.

Updates to come, a write-up if anybody is interested?
Old 11-15-2001, 12:07 AM
STFU n00b!

only thing I need is the time to install the Clifford IG7000 sitting in a box on my floor.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
only thing I need is the time to install the Clifford IG7000 sitting in a box on my floor.
I might crack one day and buy my friends Hornet for 100$...I dunno though. I'm doing alright with this sensor, if I can pre-warn and hook up a 10$ siren, I'll be set.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by ngthing

I might crack one day and buy my friends Hornet for 100$...I dunno though. I'm doing alright with this sensor, if I can pre-warn and hook up a 10$ siren, I'll be set.

im interested in a write up, this would save me some money. Let me know when everything is done. How much was your remote start and keyless entry.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:35 AM

well.. you could always use a relay
and wire up the warn aways directly
to the horn.. that way if someone sets
off the warn away it'll honk the horn...
done it b4, really weird but it works
Old 11-15-2001, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Evil Yak
well.. you could always use a relay
and wire up the warn aways directly
to the horn.. that way if someone sets
off the warn away it'll honk the horn...
done it b4, really weird but it works
well, I thought of this, by tapping into the OEM Horn Honk wire, which is also a (-) wire, but the deal with this is, the sensors are always on, they've got a 12V constant. So, if I'm driving around, and I hit a bump, or knock the senor, it'll honk. The way to get the pre-warn to work would to ahve arelay that gave the sensor 12v+ when the stock alarm was armed, that way it would only honk if the alarm was armed. It's more work than it's worth.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:24 AM
STFU n00b!

well, I thought of this, by tapping into the OEM Horn Honk wire, which is also a (-) wire, but the deal with this is, the sensors are always on, they've got a 12V constant. So, if I'm driving around, and I hit a bump, or knock the senor, it'll honk. The way to get the pre-warn to work would to ahve arelay that gave the sensor 12v+ when the stock alarm was armed, that way it would only honk if the alarm was armed. It's more work than it's worth.

that's really not too bad. you'll need 2 relays to do it all, but it won't be hard. you'd need one relay to control the power (alarm armed = on/not armed = off), then another between the sensor output and the horn. just get one and wire the switched leg to ground and connect it into your horn circuit. you've already pretty much said that above, but it's not nearly as hard as you'd think. about 3 feet of wire and a small handful of spade connectors and you're done.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

that's really not too bad. you'll need 2 relays to do it all, but it won't be hard. you'd need one relay to control the power (alarm armed = on/not armed = off), then another between the sensor output and the horn. just get one and wire the switched leg to ground and connect it into your horn circuit. you've already pretty much said that above, but it's not nearly as hard as you'd think. about 3 feet of wire and a small handful of spade connectors and you're done.
i might do it....maybe when my radar sensor comes in.

another issue with the jerry-rigged alarm, does the stock alarm shut off after a certain amount of time? i didn't want to find out when the sensor triggers the alarm, it trips the hood wire (making the alarm think that it was popped). IF the stock alarm doesn't normally shut off, then, having your alarm get tripped will drain your battery.

anybody know if the stock alarm shuts off?
Old 11-15-2001, 11:11 AM

try opening your door when the alarm is armed and see
what happens.. i'm thinking the alarm goes off, stops
then goes off again..
as for the impact sensor and etc... just wire a relay
that goes to the accessory wire or something..
or use a test light and see if any wires turn 12v+ or ground
when the alarm is armed.. i'm sure at least something
changes.
i say you need the other relay on the horn because i'm not
sure if the - output on the sensor is good enough
to run a horn, but i'm not sure
Old 11-15-2001, 12:09 PM
Jedi Knight

Relays

Guys....could someone please explain to me exactly how a relay works...I should know how it but sadly to say that I don't....

thanx

ola
Old 11-15-2001, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Relays

Originally posted by nupe500
Guys....could someone please explain to me exactly how a relay works...I should know how it but sadly to say that I don't....

thanx

ola
check my site http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html
in the how-to
I have a few main applications for them there
Old 11-15-2001, 01:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ngthing

I would be interested in a write-up (even a short one)! I ask because I'm getting a keyless entry and remote start installed tomorrow. (I wussed out cuz it's too cold.) I opted not to get a whole alarm system because I doubt it's value without a battery backup. However, I would like to add a shock sensor to my OEM alarm like you have, just to say "hey get away from this car!"

What make/model is the shock sensor? I've seen a shock sensor before and I assume you need more than just that (like a controller) right? Also, you said there's the warn-away thing - is that what they call a 2-stage shock sensor?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2001, 03:26 PM

Re: ngthing

Originally posted by Bman
I would be interested in a write-up (even a short one)! I ask because I'm getting a keyless entry and remote start installed tomorrow. (I wussed out cuz it's too cold.) I opted not to get a whole alarm system because I doubt it's value without a battery backup. However, I would like to add a shock sensor to my OEM alarm like you have, just to say "hey get away from this car!"

What make/model is the shock sensor? I've seen a shock sensor before and I assume you need more than just that (like a controller) right? Also, you said there's the warn-away thing - is that what they call a 2-stage shock sensor?

Thanks!
I'll put osmething together. Craig B was the man here, he saved me LOTS of time by having the wire already ofund out All you need is the shock sensor, I bleive they only sell 2-stage sensors. I paid $5.00 off ebay If you wait a while, I mightfigure out this pre-warn thing, that way you'll have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:11 PM

I think I've got it all figured out here.

It appears (I could be wrong) that the stock alarm sends a - output to the interrupt relay (starter kill) when the alarm is armed. This is a green wire with a red stripe coming from the middle of the stock alarm wire harness.
Wire your sensor to constant 12V and wire the ground to this wire. This way it will only be active when the alarm is armed.
As for the prewarn wire, if it gives a - output when it is disturbed (which I would assume it would), wire it to a brown wire with white stripe at the end of a 4 or 5 pin connector (depending on air bag or not) inside the plastic steering column cover. This is the signal for the stock horn buttons on the steering wheel and takes a - input.
Then wire the other wire of the sensor - the real warning one to the grey/black wire going into the stock alarm and that will set off the alarm.

Prewarn turns the horn on when it is active (may be a little loud, but that's ok), warn turns the alarm on. Both are only active when the alarm is armed.

Good luck and let me know how it goes (I am 99% sure you'll be fine with this setup).
Old 11-16-2001, 12:33 AM

i agree with craig about the wiring, sounds good..
hey craig you know that sheet on your site with all
the wire colors n stuff...
looks exactly like a DEI printout... izzat where u got it from?

ngthing-- you could probably wire up a siren to the horn output
on the oem alarm as well, too bad it will pulse with the horn
Old 11-16-2001, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
I think I've got it all figured out here.

It appears (I could be wrong) that the stock alarm sends a - output to the interrupt relay (starter kill) when the alarm is armed. This is a green wire with a red stripe coming from the middle of the stock alarm wire harness.
Wire your sensor to constant 12V and wire the ground to this wire. This way it will only be active when the alarm is armed.
As for the prewarn wire, if it gives a - output when it is disturbed (which I would assume it would), wire it to a brown wire with white stripe at the end of a 4 or 5 pin connector (depending on air bag or not) inside the plastic steering column cover. This is the signal for the stock horn buttons on the steering wheel and takes a - input.
Then wire the other wire of the sensor - the real warning one to the grey/black wire going into the stock alarm and that will set off the alarm.

Prewarn turns the horn on when it is active (may be a little loud, but that's ok), warn turns the alarm on. Both are only active when the alarm is armed.

Good luck and let me know how it goes (I am 99% sure you'll be fine with this setup).
so, usuing your wire set up. the sensor will ONLY be on when the alarm is engaged? because, if this is not the case, the horn will honk every time i hit a bump.

-jon
Old 11-16-2001, 06:15 AM

so, usuing your wire set up. the sensor will ONLY be on when the alarm is engaged? because, if this is not the case, the horn will honk every time i hit a bump.

-jon

Yup, like I said "Both are active only when the alarm is armed".

The module wont have a ground when its not armed so it wont be on and wont be sending any outputs either.

Yak- that's a sheet I got when I did my keyless entry from the guy who sold it to me on ebay. Not sure where he got it. I have since made a couple changes to it to make it more accurate.
Old 11-16-2001, 04:15 PM

ok, I just went out and tested the red/green wire

it does provide a ground like I wanted and turn off BUT it only turns off when the key is in the ON position so if the key is in the acc position or no key at all, it will be on

I thought it only provided a ground when the alarm was armed; it provides ground at all times except IGN ON.
What this means is that the sensor will be on when you're getting in/out of the car. The alarm wire will get power but that's not a big deal because the stock alarm wont be armed so it wont matter. So for a one stage sensor, you're fine.
For the dual stage, it will honk/chirp/whatever when you get out and move the car.
I think I might know a different way to do it with a latching relay that gets turned on when you arm the alarm, but I dont have time to explain right now.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:54 AM

Which sensor did you purchased ??

The ones I have looked at have four wires. I'm under the impresion the sensor you purchased has only two wires, (+) and (-).
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:00 AM

The ones I have looked at have four wires. I'm under the impresion the sensor you purchased has only two wires, (+) and (-).
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:15 AM

The ones I have looked at have four wires, blue, green, black, and red. How can I found out which wire is the pre-warn wire and which is the real wire.

This is the sensor i'm thinking of getting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3000647271

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:17 AM

How can I found out which wire is the pre-warn wire and which is the real warn wire.

I thinking of getting this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3000647271