3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

No start (Weird...)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No start (Weird...)

When I turn the key, I can hear a clicking sound coming from hummm... I think it is a relay box just beside the fuses. It is not the clic clic clic sound when there is a lack of power. I can hear it once every time I try to start the car.

My battery is good, my alternator works fine... And I don't think that it has something to do with the starter. I think that it has something to do with the alarm. I'll explain why... Last year, I forgot my lights and my battery was empty. I tried to boost it but it didn't work the first time because when I unlocked the door, the battery was dead so the alarm system thought that I was trying to steal my car... I just locked and unlocked the door with the key and it worked. (However, I could'nt hear the alarm, I think it is broken) The noise was the same as it is right now so I guess it has something to do with it.

I tried to remove the anti-theft, I removed the fuse... Nothing. I tried on N, D1, D2, nothing.

A few weeks ago, something similar happened. The car was parked and the passenger door was opened... I tried to start the car and it was exactly as it is right now! I could here the sound coming from the relay box. I tried a lot of things, nothing worked. I tried it again after closing the passenger door and it worked... I then thought that it was a security, but I was probably lucky.

I don't know if it has something to do with it, but I had the bucking/stalling problem and when the car stalled, sometimes it didn't want to start on Neutral or Drive. It was random! Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't... When it didn't, I had to stop the, put it on Park, it always worked...

It happened to me this morning and I tried again tonight to start the car. I noticed that when I put it on neutral or drive, there is a red light coming from the anti-theft box.

The car is a 92SE with the VE engine.

Is there a way to deactivate the anti-theft?
Is there a protection to prevent the car from starting? (like if the passenger door is open or anything else!)

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 PM

my car had some kind of issue with me not being able to start it without removing the lower left fuse from the cabin box... however i just disarmed the alarm system by unplugging it from behind the steering culumn and never had another problem.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 PM

yap...just unplug the big black box under the steering where all the harness are....
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 PM

Bad starter. The security stuff is probably just a coincidence, the rest are all typical symptoms.

Do you know how many miles are on the starter?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM

If I give it a shot on it??

The car has about 130 000 miles on it... And I don't think that the starter has ever been changed. It sound possible that this could be the starter. Well thanks!

Last edited by Nyxo-z; 08-01-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:53 AM

The problem is the starter, thanks for your help! =) I hit the starter and it worked, so at least I could move my car, it wasn't at home!

Last edited by Nyxo-z; 08-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Instead of unhooking black box could you just pull fuse for alarm system?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by JETMAX
Instead of unhooking black box could you just pull fuse for alarm system?
other stuff runs off that fuse.
why the heck did you bump a nearly two year old thread for that?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie here sorry, having problems with my '92 also. Turn the key several times before the fuel pump will kick on. Replaced the ignition switch, fuel relay and fuel pump. I pulled the alarm system fuse and it started and ran fine. What else runs off that fuse?