3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

6 cly to 4 cly

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM

6 cly to 4 cly

If I wanted to run the engine only on 4 cyl anyone know which pairs of injectors I could disconnect to maintain a smooth ride.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by redwood_usa
If I wanted to run the engine only on 4 cyl anyone know which pairs of injectors I could disconnect to maintain a smooth ride.
lol......
Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

no
our engines are not designed to be run on less than 6 cylinders. doing so could be hazardous to the engine.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Last edited by Hectic; 08-02-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I can has?

also: can someone help me take out my 2nd and 4th gear? I'm trying to save a bit of gas mileage.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:40 PM

You'd be better off with one of these

Old 08-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I can has?

But to answer your question seriously... I believe it's the #2, and #5 injectors that need to be unplugged. Make sure you take your spark plugs out of the holes without the injectors too.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:02 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

actually ive though of the same thing..... 4 real i have

i dont see why it woudl not work, on say the highway. it take something like 14hp to power a truck at 60, idk i forgot the #'s

but im going to try it witl my 85 300zx, bascally hook injectors up to toggle switches, once i get up to speed, cut some off. hahahahah

go ahead and flame. but whenever i try it ill let ya know how it works out.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

I highly doubt this will work. If you want something of that nature swap in a GA, SR or some other 4 cylinder engine or buy a car that is engineered with variable displacement.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Uhhh our engines are designed to run BALANCED with all 6 cylinders firing correctly. I don't think it will run right with just 4...
Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 PM

I think it would make you gas mileage worse due to the 4 having to work harder to keep the engine running kinda like when a injector goes out.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by vernk
I think it would make you gas mileage worse due to the 4 having to work harder to keep the engine running kinda like when a injector goes out.
part of the reason pearl says to pull the plugs. it would remove the compresion of the stroke, so it wouldnt work so hard. reminds me of what some of the harley engine builders do on their big engines with high compression; the put in a comp. relief valve that is opened prior to starting the engine, so that it would start with a stock(ish) starter or, depending on the rider, kick start.

anyway, I still say it wouldnt work. engineers spent countless combined hours to make the engines that cut the cylinders for cruising, and there are many variables, which our cars dont have, that make it work.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I can has?

I was actually being completely sarcastic and talking out of my ***
Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

true i see what your saying, but ima do mostly for fun, the 300z i got is just a toy, it will not blow up, ive tryed.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
I was actually being completely sarcastic and talking out of my ***
i thought it reeked of ......, but wasnt sure. but it would be true,
Old 08-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
part of the reason pearl says to pull the plugs. it would remove the compresion of the stroke, so it wouldnt work so hard. reminds me of what some of the harley engine builders do on their big engines with high compression; the put in a comp. relief valve that is opened prior to starting the engine, so that it would start with a stock(ish) starter or, depending on the rider, kick start.

anyway, I still say it wouldnt work. engineers spent countless combined hours to make the engines that cut the cylinders for cruising, and there are many variables, which our cars dont have, that make it work.
yea john deer A and B tractors had pit ***** for starting but pulling the plugs while driving could be a challenge then making a filter so that you don't suck dirt into your engine would be a good idea. Now if you could program your ecu to only fire the injectors every other cycle would maybe work a bit better due to you still keep the balance of the engine.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
Uhhh our engines are designed to run BALANCED with all 6 cylinders firing correctly. I don't think it will run right with just 4...
Gotta agree with you there, come to thing of it, aren't all engines that variable displacement has been used in V8s? V8s are naturally balanced as V4s would be where as there is some work to be done to balance a V6 and taking a balanced V6 and making it a V4 would unbalance it I'd think
Old 08-02-2008, 08:32 PM
mod or sell?

impossible.
the idle will never be smooth when running a 6 cylinder motor on 4 cylinders.
Notice how the only motors with cylinder deactivation are V-8s?
they are more easily balanced to run on 4 cylinders (running on 6 is rough)
Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 PM

are you stupid this is not a 1960 american cars what are you thinking you can only run the cyclinders you have nothin more or less
Old 08-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
impossible.
i have heard of DOD non-v8s. i have heard of DOD that runs on 8 or 6 or 4. I have heard of a V6 that will kill down to 3 when cruising (basically, if in a low-load enough situation to where you would be in TC lockup on an a/t). It is the only way to balance it, is deactivate in such a way the number of cylinders divided by the number of cylinders you want to run on is a whole number. i don't know how the V8-on-6 works... perhaps roaming deactivation. In any case, this will become far more common, I think, once linear non-cam-based valves are made (ie, electronically controlled valves)

and no, i cannot cite any. i just heard of it here and there, on commercials, reviews of concepts and new-production vehicles, etc.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 PM

we have to do a lot of work to make 3rd gen work like that and its not worth it...and i dont think so if u can make 3rd gen work on 4 cylinder....its either 6 or 3....cuz as far i know our maxima have firing order 1-2-3-4-5-6....and there are two banks...3 cylinders under each bank so we have to turn off 1 bank to make 3rd gen work better ...it means 1 bank off 3 cylinders off.....like Chrysler 300c v8....its either 8 cylinder or 4...not 6

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-02-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

For 1981 Cadillac introduced a new engine that would become notorious for its unreliability, the V8-6-4 (L62). The L61 had not provided a significant improvement in the company's CAFE numbers, so Cadillac and Eaton Corporation devised a cylinder deactivation system that would shut off two or four cylinders in low-load conditions such as highway cruising, then reactivate them when the throttle was opened. When deactivated, fuel was cut off to the cylinder. Also oil pressure was used to shut off the cam lifters for the cylinders, preventing air from being drawn into them.[1] A dashboard "MPG Sentinel" gauge could show the number of cylinders in operation, or instantaneous fuel consumption (in miles per gallon). The L62 produced 140 hp (104 kW) @ 3800 rpm and 265 ft·lbf (359 N·m) @ 1400 rpm. Cadillac hailed the L62 as a technological masterpiece, and made it standard equipment across the whole Cadillac line.
v8 that runs on 8, 6, or 4
Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 PM

yep in future probably we will have options to run even 1 cylinder out of 8
Old 08-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhangondal
somehow i doubt that...
Old 08-03-2008, 12:01 AM
LvR

If one is willing to live with one mega heavy flywheel, then this is quite possible - daft but possible.

Ito the OP - Short of it? - if your motor was not initially designed to operate in this mode, then imo don't do any such thing - you as the operator may experience the motor to be able to operate like that, but the stresses on mechanical components (crankshaft, front harmonic balancing weight etc etc) will very quickly ensure the demise of the motor..................
Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
If one is willing to live with one mega heavy flywheel, then this is quite possible - daft but possible.

Ito the OP - Short of it? - if your motor was not initially designed to operate in this mode, then imo don't do any such thing - you as the operator may experience the motor to be able to operate like that, but the stresses on mechanical components (crankshaft, front harmonic balancing weight etc etc) will very quickly ensure the demise of the motor..................
U LIVE IN SOUTH AFRICA?.....i have a wish to visit there and watch sharks on South African beach.....as i heard sharks r crazy there....
Old 08-03-2008, 06:37 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
v8 that runs on 8, 6, or 4
LOL running is not a term most of the owners would use on that car.
the system was dropped within a year because it didn't work, somehow a cadillac that wasn't running smooth just didn't sell very well.
The system was turned off on 99% of them within a year because of how bad it was. that is why it took so long for GM to reintroduce cylinder deactivation WHICH ONLY HAPPENS ON CRUISING. during city driving and idling it still runs on all 8.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gunther
You'd be better off with one of these

i don't notice any difference in that crap??? it came with the engine that i bought from the junkyard back in '05. i took it out for a couple of days and put it back in but i don't notice any difference in saving gas with it.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
i don't notice any difference in that crap??? it came with the engine that i bought from the junkyard back in '05. i took it out for a couple of days and put it back in but i don't notice any difference in saving gas with it.
Hence the suggestion
Old 08-03-2008, 07:47 AM
LvR

U LIVE IN SOUTH AFRICA?.....i have a wish to visit there and watch sharks on South African beach.....as i heard sharks r crazy there....
Yep - but I am about 700km away and 1730 m too high

Sharks on the beach? - maybe during sardine runs yes but otherwise no - east coast of South Africa mostly (Indian Ocean) - very good shark diving in Natal in particular.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 AM

the system was dropped within a year because it didn't work, somehow a cadillac that wasn't running smooth just didn't sell very well.
The system was turned off on 99% of them within a year because of how bad it was. that is why it took so long for GM to reintroduce cylinder deactivation WHICH ONLY HAPPENS ON CRUISING. during city driving and idling it still runs on all 8.
I remember someone once quoting the Cadillac V8-6-4 saying that trying to get a 1980's computer to deactivate cylinders was like trying to get a toaster to run Halo. And didn't it only have like 2 injectors (mechanical) that failed a lot too? That car was a disaster.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hm. oh well. so the 6 was the problem then?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:28 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
I remember someone once quoting the Cadillac V8-6-4 saying that trying to get a 1980's computer to deactivate cylinders was like trying to get a toaster to run Halo. And didn't it only have like 2 injectors (mechanical) that failed a lot too? That car was a disaster.
nah, it was electrical by then.
Originally Posted by capedcadaver
hm. oh well. so the 6 was the problem then?
part of it.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

impossible.
The V6 in the Honda Odyssey, Accord, and Pilot has cylinder deactivation.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
The V6 in the Honda Odyssey, Accord, and Pilot has cylinder deactivation.
i-VTEC FTWTFWTT.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:32 PM

I think cylinder deactivation is mostly a gimmick. If it takes X amount of gasoline to cruise at 60mph you might as well distribute it to all available cylinders. My understanding of why a 4 cylinder uses less gasoline than a 6 is because the block is lighter and has less rotating inertia, cylinder deactivation does not address this.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 PM

i-VTEC FTWTFWTT.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

i-VTEC FTWTFWTT.
You of all people.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 3g94MaxGXE
Gotta agree with you there, come to thing of it, aren't all engines that variable displacement has been used in V8s? V8s are naturally balanced as V4s would be where as there is some work to be done to balance a V6 and taking a balanced V6 and making it a V4 would unbalance it I'd think
Only flat 6's, straight 6's, V12's, and flat 12's are naturally balanced. Cross-planes V8's come pretty close, but not quite. Flat-plane V8's are like two 4-cylinders with a common crank so they are definitely not completely balanced.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:43 PM

i-VTEC FTWTFWTT.
FTW, TF'n W, true story?