3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.
View Poll Results: Family or Sports Sedan
Family car with big fat heavy nose
44.83%
True sports sedan with some serious power
55.17%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

family or sports sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 PM

family or sports sedan?

since i have been reading random threads and been noticing that some people say '' 3rd gen is a big fat nose family sedan and it can never be a sports car'' some say '' its a sports sedan and we can make it work to a fully sports car''.....just a poll that wat ppl really think about 3RD GEN....

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-12-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:33 PM

It was marketed as a sports sedan and I believe that the 3rd gen lives up to that name.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

you forgot to add a third option:"Both, because it is a fun, sporty sedan, but it is a pretty good family-hauler, too."
there-fore, I am not voting.
:/
Old 08-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by BenStoked
you forgot to add a third option:"Both, because it is a fun, sporty sedan, but it is a pretty good family-hauler, too."
there-fore, I am not voting.
:/
+1... It definitely has some sporty attributes to it that many other four door sedans don't have, but I definitely wouldn't consider it a flat out sports sedan like an M3 or something. It's a quick, sporty, sedan though.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM

I think the Maxima resulted when a 5 series was mated with a Camry. Sometimes its frustrating how much the Maxima is neither this or that. Its neither fast nor slow, its not large or small, its not loaded or stripped, its not nimble or clumsy. Its not good on gas its not bad on gas. Its not a heavy car, its not a light car. Its not embarassing to drive, but it doesn't impress anyone either. It the most extra-medium thing in existence.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by nismax1994
I think the Maxima resulted when a 5 series was mated with a Camry. Sometimes its frustrating how much the Maxima is neither this or that. Its neither fast nor slow, its not large or small, its not loaded or stripped, its not nimble or clumsy. Its not good on gas its not bad on gas. Its not a heavy car, its not a light car. Its not embarassing to drive, but it doesn't impress anyone either. It the most extra-medium thing in existence.
i know its hard to tell wat this thing (maxima) really is....but jus be straight up like ya its a sports sedan not really for families or a family car....
Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 PM

I'd have to say family car, sorry everyone, but i also own an e36
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 PM

lol thats okay....everyone have their rights
Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

still not voting.

yeah, it isn't a bmw, but it isnt an accord, either, or a corolla.

take it for what it is. big and fun.

besides. no poll will make anyone change their minds.

IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
still not voting.

yeah, it isn't a bmw, but it isnt an accord, either, or a corolla.

take it for what it is. big and fun.

besides. no poll will make anyone change their minds.

IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!
as i said...everyone have their rights, none is forced to VOTE neither i am trying to change anyone's mind...all i wanted to know is that what majority of people think of 3RD Gens...that's it....if u think its in the middle of nowhere then that's alright...its fun to know that people have different minds.......U ROCK BENSTOKED

EDIT: on the other hand, of course i would except more people to say that its a SPORTS SEDAN...but ya....NO COMMENTS...... cuz my self i m double minded right now lolololol

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-12-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by shortymust23
sports car because the ride is too stiff for family ride
hmm interesting....never thought of that
Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM

I think my JDM brochure sums it up best: 'On first sight, the new Maxima makes a deep impression--gives a feeling of a generous size which is unusual in Japanese cars and more in keeping with internationally-renowned imported automobiles. Yet Maxima has the unique Japanese characteristics which make it feel so "at home" on the roads here. It is a Japanese car built for Japanese conditions--yet sure to be appreciated by knowledgeable and sophisticated adults. That's why we say: Nissan proudly presents a new personal sedan, born in Japan for the exclusive, internationally-minded "elite" market here."

The best part of that brochure is the accessories section which peddles lace doily seat covers alongside chin spoilers and wings.

In South Africa, however, it seems to make a good funeral car:
Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 AM
mod or sell?

it is a bit of both which is what makes it such a fine automobile.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 AM

I say Sports Sedan because my maxima rides very stiff on stock suspension. It's not rough when hitting potholes or other bad bumps in the road, but it's not smooth as is a luxury car. Accords (especially Camrys) are nowhere near as taut as the Maxima. Very taut riding. I often feel like I'm driving in a low rider or something... I notice myself jolting in the driver seat while driving around. Again, it's not rough at all... just very tight riding. Needs new bushings, so cornering suffers, but I can still take a corner with the best of them.

Last edited by bLiNg_ThEoRy; 08-13-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Banned

Family car with big fat heavy nose
/thread

you can market something however you want if you can convince the masses it's something it's not. marketing 101.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

notice those with the fastest 3rd gens voted for option #1? That's b/c they've been there, done that, and have forgotten more about them than most of us will ever know to begin with.

Stock, they are kinda fat nose-heavy family cars. Modded they are faster, funner, sexier fat nose-heavy family cars. But so what? We love 'em anyways.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
notice those with the fastest 3rd gens voted for option #1? That's b/c they've been there, done that, and have forgotten more about them than most of us will ever know to begin with.

Stock, they are kinda fat nose-heavy family cars. Modded they are faster, funner, sexier fat nose-heavy family cars. But so what? We love 'em anyways.
Dayum rite!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by bLiNg_ThEoRy
Dayum rite!
... except you voted for option #2. Anyhow, two of the people who voted for #1, one has THE best-handling 3rd gen on the planet, and the other is in the process of rebuilding a turbo setup. They just know what they're up against.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 AM

... except you voted for option #2. Anyhow, two of the people who voted for #1, one has THE best-handling 3rd gen on the planet, and the other is in the process of rebuilding a turbo setup. They just know what they're up against.
LOL Oh yeah, I know. Now, I haven't any specs on how quick my car is. All I've done was the usual intake cone install, magnaflow exhaust (broken manifold studs at the moment) and a slight tweak to the timing. Believe it or not, I spanked a 2003 Mustang GT one day, but after he went through his gears and started rowing, he left me like I was standing still. But still, on takeoff, he wasn't ready. I figured the guy couldn't drive, but we did it twice and I got him the same way. No one believes me, but I do have that guy as proof. No turbo on mine, other than what I said earlier, it's all stock. And as for those Accord V6's, I've raped a couple of them too. However they easily gain on the maxima at higher rpms. Of course I don't have the world's fastes 3rd Gen, but I'm not afraid to take on any normally aspirated so-called sports cars.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by bLiNg_ThEoRy
LOL Oh yeah, I know. Now, I haven't any specs on how quick my car is. All I've done was the usual intake cone install, magnaflow exhaust (broken manifold studs at the moment) and a slight tweak to the timing. Believe it or not, I spanked a 2003 Mustang GT one day, but after he went through his gears and started rowing, he left me like I was standing still. But still, on takeoff, he wasn't ready. I figured the guy couldn't drive, but we did it twice and I got him the same way. No one believes me, but I do have that guy as proof. No turbo on mine, other than what I said earlier, it's all stock. And as for those Accord V6's, I've raped a couple of them too. However they easily gain on the maxima at higher rpms. Of course I don't have the world's fastes 3rd Gen, but I'm not afraid to take on any normally aspirated so-called sports cars.
heh. if you want to feel true speed in a 3rd gen then take a ride in Aaron's car. VE auto that runs under 14s all-motor, and under 13s with nitrous. I don't know that he focuses much on cornering ability tho, since his car is primarily a drag car.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM

i vote the 3rd option also.
i like the facts my siblings don't complain about space anymore. they can have their bookbags ect in the car and still have space.

the ride is stiff enough for me, but soft enough where noone else complains about the ride.

and their safe.

and bling theory.
a 3rd gen in general can outrun a 2000 accord v6.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
i vote the 3rd option also.
i like the facts my siblings don't complain about space anymore. they can have their bookbags ect in the car and still have space.

the ride is stiff enough for me, but soft enough where noone else complains about the ride.

and their safe.

and bling theory.
a 3rd gen in general can outrun a 2000 accord v6.
the keywords for me were "true" and "serious power".

190hp (let alone 160hp) is not SERIOUS power. this is a true sports sedan:
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM
bald aggression est 78

post numbers 2,3,4 & 5 are great the whole big and fun thing was funny makes me think of fat women i'd have to agree and disagree with post #23 heres my reason why. i agree because by todays standards be it 190 or 160 hp is not enough,its still pretty strong but still not enough. But i disagree cause in its time it was a pretty badass car so in some aspects it is both. a family hauler and a sports sedan for its class. its also still cool to here guys that are 10 years older than me that drive high end cars say MAN I MISS THAT CAR!!!!! aww man i had an Se with bose system man it was loaded sunroof spoiler fog lights the works.(true story) when was the last any of us heard that about a car that was compared to the 3rd gen in its time. me personally i think nissan started the whole sports sedan thing.I may be wrong in fact i know im wrong but hey im biased

Last edited by Kountz430; 08-13-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Kountz430
post numbers 2,3,4 & 5 are great the whole big and fun thing was funny makes me think of fat women i'd have to agree and disagree with post #23 heres my reason why. i agree because by todays standards be it 190 or 160 hp is not enough,its still pretty strong but still not enough. But i disagree cause in its time it was a pretty badass car so in some aspects it is both. a family hauler and a sports sedan for its class. its also still cool to here guys that are 10 years older than me that drive high end cars say MAN I MISS THAT CAR!!!!! aww man i had an Se with bose system man it was loaded sunroof spoiler fog lights the works.(true story) when was the last any of us heard that about a car that was compared to the 3rd gen in its time. me personally i think nissan started the whole sports sedan thing.I may be wrong in fact i know im wrong but hey im biased
well, you bring an interesting point..... are we talking about what it is now, or what it was in its time. I suppose you're right about the 3rd gen Maxima (and somewhat the 2nd gen) being an innovator in the sports sedan trend.

2000 accord v6 is 200hp and 2990 lbs.... give or take 100 for trim and load. depending on transmission i can see a VE5 taking it, and maybe a VE auto... i'm not too sure a VG could take it. I often wonder when people "own this and that car" how often the other driver actually totally floored it though...
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM

you cant compare a maxima to a sports car anymore than you can a family car a true family car is a subura legacy or a p/t cruiser who here doubts they cant fly past either one of those cars
Old 08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
bald aggression est 78

i guess im talking bout both,in its time it was a hell of a car im pretty sure we've all seen it go up against a competitor and win and then now there still some cars that it can take with out question. from a family sedan perspective its a cozy car nice and roomy hefty trunk space the ergonomics are great beside the fact that you have to mod a cup holder or buy one ( i think i may have struck a nerve on that one) From a performance perspective it still handles great performs solid. with an exhaust air intake a tweak of the suspension you got yourself a lil sleeper that'll **** off alot of people. Now to the looks department now grant it there aint that many aftermarket bodykits (to my knowledge) for our cars But that damn stillen kit man thats one sexy kit.clear corners set of euros dropped on a mean set of 18's or 17's your choice and got yourself a car that looks good not gaudy or what some may say "ricey".I think it should go down as one the best sedan's in history. so to answer you question then and now.Cause its still a respected car. and sleepy run up agaist a turbo'ed legacy or a turbo'ed Pt cruiser and see what'll happen lol

Last edited by Kountz430; 08-13-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

i think a 00 v6 accord 5pd would beat a 190hp 5pd turd gen in the 1/4
Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 PM

as for the accord i was talking about auto vs auto.
and yea a good running vg could take an accord v6.
the ve though imo will leave it
Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
you cant compare a maxima to a sports car anymore than you can a family car a true family car is a subura legacy or a p/t cruiser who here doubts they cant fly past either one of those cars
um, I've had a few legacies. They are extremely capable cars because they weigh very little, and have wonderful gearing.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
my buddy owns 2006 maxima SE and believe or not he smoked 2007 accord and TL front of everyone's eyes.....but cumonn u cant just take 16 years old car and except it to beat cars who r way newer than its age...but still it can make new cars think not to mess with....ya if its modded with turbo and stuff than its a totally different story it can take many cars on the road easily....i donno about 00 v6 accord but i have smoked my friends 1998 v6 accord 200hp 3 TIMES in drag and he still doesn't wanna believe and want to try again.....

edit: BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT if ur 3rd gen is modded with turbos and stiffer suspension and many other performance modes so u can start to compare with high performance cars like M3 or AMG lol thats never gonna happen with 3RD GEN....get a 7TH GEN if u wanna compete with those cars...keep it low with its ages cars or maybe few newer cars...

Everything changes with TIME

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-13-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:26 AM

Ive gotta say that for the 90's it was a sports sedan. V6, allow wheels, power everything, spoiler, Variable timing, BOSE, adjustable trans, adjustable suspension. Most of this being standard.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 AM

here are some true family cars these are 2008 models and their stats suck
also arent family cars suppose to come with 5star safety not 3star safety like ours?

honda accord ex safest car award
Horsepower 190-hp @ 7,000 rpm
Torque162 lbs.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm

saturn vue best car for small families
Horsepower 169-hp @ 6,200 rpm
Torque161 lbs.-ft. @ 5,100 rpm

subaru legacy most kid freindly
Horsepower 170-hp @ 6,000 rpm
Torque170 lbs.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm
Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
here are some true family cars these are 2008 models and their stats suck
also arent family cars suppose to come with 5star safety not 3star safety like ours?

honda accord ex safest car award
Horsepower 190-hp @ 7,000 rpm
Torque162 lbs.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm

saturn vue best car for small families
Horsepower 169-hp @ 6,200 rpm
Torque161 lbs.-ft. @ 5,100 rpm

subaru legacy most kid freindly
Horsepower 170-hp @ 6,000 rpm
Torque170 lbs.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm
where is Camry?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
it'd be close. depends who drives if its 5spd vs 5spd.

the v6 accords came w/5spds???
Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 AM

camry is weird they have a 4cyl that makes 155hp but they have a V6 that makes 268hp but no manual transmission is available on the V6 but it is available on the 4cyl also read the reviews they make it sound awful

found this one to compare a sports sedan

Mazda3 sport best overall value in a sports sedan under 38k
Horsepower 156-hp @ 6,500 rpm
Torque 150 lbs.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm
Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

ok... we're comparing it family cars. Let's try a sports sedan from 1990

1990 BMW M5 (E46)
3.8L inline 6-cylinder
340HP
6spd manual
RWD
stock 17" alloys

so. now we're looking back at 1990.... dare you to race any stock 3rd gen against that M5 stock, on any type of track. you'll get a good view of the license plate.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I can has?

double post, woops. Maxima.org is laggy for me and isn't working right. Look below \/

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 08-14-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
I can has?

ok... we're comparing it family cars. Let's try a sports sedan from 1990

1990 BMW M5 (E46)
3.8L inline 6-cylinder
340HP
6spd manual
RWD
stock 17" alloys

so. now we're looking back at 1990.... dare you to race any stock 3rd gen against that M5 stock, on any type of track. you'll get a good view of the license plate.
To be fair, I think matching it up to an E36 M3 Sedan is more in it's range.

1993 BMW M3 (E36)
3400lbs
3.0 Liter DOHC Inline 6-cylinder
250HP/ 255FT. LBS TQ
5-spd Manual/Auto
RWD

0-60 in low to mid 6's
Top speed of 137/140 (for newer E36 M3's)

For the performance figures the BMW has and where the maxima lacks on paper, being FWD, and only weighing slightly less. It holds it's own in a straight line pretty good, while the BMW pretty much raped it in any kind of handling aspect, the max definitely was marketed towards lower income, still want a quick, sporty little affordable car that feels higher in class than it's true competitors (Price Wise) in the Camry's and Accords. Though regardless of what other people say, for the price of a 15+ year old "family sedan", dropping it, adding sway bars, replacing the bushings with good one's, and maybe putting on some tower braces the maxima handles DAMN well in comparison to anything in it's price range for a comparable vehicle.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well you know in consumer reports it has one section for 'sporty' and one section for 'sports'? I would call the 3G a "Sporty Family Sedan", similarly to how the Celica is a "sporty car" in the 80s-2000s, compared to, say, a Corvette, which is a true "Sports Car (coupe)", and the M5 is a true "Sports Sedan", along with the likes of E-Class AMG's and whatnot.

So... Maxima:Celica::M5:Corvette, in a nutshell.

I don't disagree with the fact that you can do the drop/sways/etc and get it to handle really well... will any other similar car handle as well if you do the same to it? Wouldn't, say, a 1992 (3rd gen) Camry with eibachs, tokicos, swaybars and strut bars handle as much better compared to its stock version than a modded 3G max does vs a stock max?

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-14-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I can has?

well you know in consumer reports it has one section for 'sporty' and one section for 'sports'? I would call the 3G a "Sporty Family Sedan", similarly to how the Celica is a "sporty car" in the 80s-2000s, compared to, say, a Corvette, which is a true "Sports Car (coupe)", and the M5 is a true "Sports Sedan", along with the likes of E-Class AMG's and whatnot.

So... Maxima:Celica::M5:Corvette, in a nutshell.

I don't disagree with the fact that you can do the drop/sways/etc and get it to handle really well... will any other similar car handle as well if you do the same to it? Wouldn't, say, a 1992 (3rd gen) Camry with eibachs, tokicos, swaybars and strut bars handle as much better compared to its stock version than a modded 3G max does vs a stock max?
Sure, I wouldn't doubt it for a second that any car with an upgraded, quality suspension setup will do better than it's stock form. Though it is another question to ask if a modded 3g Camry will be able to compete with a modded 3g Max. I've driven a 93' Camry and even compared to a stock 3g GXE , the Camry felt boaty, soft, boring, and the engine just feels so blah, almost like an economy car winding up and cycling through the gears. I feel there is almost nothing special about it.

Quick Reply: family or sports sedan?