3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

new maxima owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2000, 12:33 PM

hi whats up? i'm new to this forum. i was a regular at honda-acura.net. last month i bought an 89 maxima, i'm not sure of the series model. I was an 90 accord owner, i thought i was gonna hate the maxima but its too nice. The engine is sweet too. the accord doesnt match up to the maxima. I just would like to know any common problems with the 89's. so far the car's been okay. it has 146k miles, and its an automatic. the only minor prob is that the speedo flips out a few times. any recomendations on tune ups, oil changes, etc??
thanks for any input and suggestions!!!
Old 11-04-2000, 01:11 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

welcome! do you have an se or a gxe? do you know how to tell? the se has black trim around the windows and the gxe has chrome around the windows. thats the easiest way to tell the difference. not really any major problems with these cars but if you have power windows the regulators tend to break but its a cheap fix. and the auto trannys arent the best, you may want to install a tranny cooler to prolong the life of the tranny.
Old 11-04-2000, 01:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The easiest way to tell the difference is that SE's have white face gauges, and GXE's don't.
Old 11-04-2000, 03:40 PM

it has white face gauges. cool its an SE, thanks a lot for the input!!! i'll welcome more! i gotta take some pics, it not that hooked up or ne thing . i need to get some rims. i just put fog lights,does any one have pics of their car w/mods or so? or a page i could see, i need ideas
Old 11-04-2000, 03:51 PM

Come to the Mass meet in Natick on the 11th. There's details in the NE section of this website..
Old 11-04-2000, 05:21 PM

Yeah...the Auto tranny's on the 89-91 maxima's aren't the greatest. If you have troubles and have to end up getting it rebuilt, just make sure that you have people that know what they are doing. If possible (and the $$ allows you to do this) try to get "stronger" parts in the rebuild, as there are no absolute "bulletproof" parts for transmissions because of so many moving parts.

The window regulators are another common problem. I live in Nebraska so when it gets in the 0's and -10's (degrees farenheit) the windows don't work at all. What I found that at least helped my problem was to get window seals that are less frictional. The regional manager at Midas (of all places) recommended that to me. I had the Nissan Dealer replace them with the Part #'s that the guy told me and since then, I haven't had a single regulator break...and that was 2 years ago.

The only other problem that I can think of would be the Digital clock in the Maximas. They fade in and out or never work at all...a simple fix really - pop it out, replace it with a new one (sometimes wiring also) and VOILA! you have a working clock.

Any other questions, just post them, otherwise e-mail me at shibbeler@netscape.net
Old 11-05-2000, 02:50 PM
DDD

Problems

I have the same problems as described above plus
- the leaky water pump. As far as I know it's common enough. To avoid the problem in the future I've added Unocal 76 Anti-rust liquid into the cooling system. It also lubricares fiber seal of the pump
- rattling sunroof (a way to fix is described on this forum about 20 days ago)
But generally the car is the best one you can by for it's price.
Good luck,
DDD

Old 11-05-2000, 09:06 PM

Welcome, I'm from Brooklyn too

I've seen many 89-91 Maxima's for sale around here in the last month, what color is yours? I live around the Sheepshead Bay area.
Old 11-05-2000, 09:15 PM
Maxima Princess

Another thing you might want to watch for

is broken studs. I have been fortunate enough not to deal with this, but I did get bit bye the tranny bug. Oh and Welcome to the board!
Old 11-05-2000, 11:13 PM

i just flick my clock and it goes back on, haha
Old 11-06-2000, 05:44 AM

The only other thing you might want to look into is struts. If they're original, they're probably shot. GXE's handle awful when the front struts go, but I don't know how bad the SE's get.
I'm also in Brooklyn. There's a pretty good ex-dealer Nissan mechanic on Coney Island Ave (Kenny's, between Ave O & P). Your car should have had it's timing belt replace the second time by now. There's a good chance that it hasn't. Kenny charged about $400 for doing the timing belt and water pump on my wife's 2nd gen Max. This is about $100 less than Kings Nissan.
Old 11-06-2000, 07:07 AM

Bout time you got a Nissan over that Honda. :P

another thing you might wanna watch is your wallet. You'll be looking all over your car and have your nose in magazine's trying to find crap you can slap on these babies.
Old 11-07-2000, 10:17 AM

I'm from sunset park/bay ridge area. The color is black now. I bought it off some guy from far rockaway. the clock is weird i gotta press it in to get dark. i'm having a problem w/the radio, but i'll start another thread.....i dont go to the dealerships , bunch of rip offs. i prob go to get the remote, its a factory alarm.
i'll be looking into the timing belt and tthe struts. thanks guys. i feel so welcomed. ur much nicer than the guys in the honda-acura.net
Old 11-07-2000, 03:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

ahh, another NYC/Brooklyn 3rd gen...

Watch out for the transmission,
The radio problems are things a lot of people complain about as well, though my Bose hasn't given me too many problems.

Welcome to maxima.org
LOOK FOR MY MAX IN NYC!!!!!