3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd gen headlights from Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:15 PM
1993 SE

3rd gen headlights from Ebay

I see some ppl have a new style of headlights and I went on Ebay to find them. I saw them on there in chrome and in black and Im wondering what the beam pattern looks like on the road. Have any pics of them on at night anyone?

$95 shipped
Old 08-17-2008, 04:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

They look like pies thrown at a wall imo..

The 9007 bulb swap has better light output with the stockers...
Old 08-17-2008, 04:23 PM
1993 SE

These are cool looking, come installed on the brackets, AND have corner lenses!! wow!! But I wanna see the beam on the road. I wanted to get e36 or something new cause my beam pattern is terrible at night and the stock lights are not sexy at all!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
1993 SE

I wonder if we get poor light onto the road due to the cloudiness of out lenses... Im thinking since these are clear... must have better usable light output. i dunno
Old 08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by swowlinc
I wonder if we get poor light onto the road due to the cloudiness of out lenses... Im thinking since these are clear... must have better usable light output. i dunno
the ribby things in our lenses are what aim the light the way it should be. without them, it'll be like a flashlight... meaning that you'll blind everyone. all the time. projectors are the best option... cutoff is as precise as an overhead like they use in school.

better lighting in the stock ribby housing is good but obviously not as good as in a projector

and bringing up the rear are the clear lenses you were looking at.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
the ribby things in our lenses are what aim the light the way it should be. without them, it'll be like a flashlight... meaning that you'll blind everyone. all the time. projectors are the best option... cutoff is as precise as an overhead like they use in school.

better lighting in the stock ribby housing is good but obviously not as good as in a projector

and bringing up the rear are the clear lenses you were looking at.
i m afraid thats not true...i installed those lights and i m actually getting better output than stock lights plus they look awesome and for the aim u can adjust it from the back of the headlight......i will post a pic soon...jus waiting for the sun to go to sleep...

i have all chrome not the other version with black chrome....

edit: first wen i installed them their aim was up high and i was making everyone blind on the road and i got high beam flash from every coming car on the road....then i adjust it now i dont get high beam flash from other cars cuz they r aiming perfectly fine....

my profile pic is with new headlights on but i didnt adjust the aim that time...

|
|
|
|
V

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-17-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:45 PM
1993 SE

What kind of bulbs are u using and post a pic of the beam pattern ont he road if u can pls

Originally Posted by burhangondal
i m afraid thats not true...i installed those lights and i m actually getting better output than stock lights plus they look awesome and for the aim u can adjust it from the back of the headlight......i will post a pic soon...jus waiting for the sun to go to sleep...

edit: first wen i installed them their aim was up high and i was making everyone blind on the road and i got high beam flash from every coming car on the road....then i adjust it now i dont get high beam flash from other cars cuz they r aiming perfectly fine....

my profile pic is with new headlights on but i didnt adjust the aim that time...

|
|
|
|
V
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I can has?

You may find this helpful...

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...installed.html
Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 PM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Very helpful, thx
Old 08-17-2008, 07:13 PM
1993 SE

someone should just start making the e36 projector headlights with wade covers that are plug and play (bracket and all) and sell them .... prolly make a killing. Id pay handsomely for a set... Or even put projector on these lights and sell them. So whats the word on if these can take Hid's or not?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:19 PM

i have HID's 6k right now...in euro headlights...
Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

|
|
|
|
V
i never said the output wouldn't be better. Of course it's going to be better with less stuff getting in the way. If you aim it so it doesn't blind people tho you are wasting light too close to you, and if you aim it for best visibility then you are blinding people.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
1993 SE

i have HID's 6k right now...in euro headlights...
cool... Im guessing problem free...also guessing they have been left on for at least an hour or two ? Just trying to make sure they dont melt anything after a certain period of time in use. Hey if you could, post a pic of your hid's in those lights pls
Old 08-17-2008, 07:47 PM

i never said the output wouldn't be better. Of course it's going to be better with less stuff getting in the way. If you aim it so it doesn't blind people tho you are wasting light too close to you, and if you aim it for best visibility then you are blinding people.

its HID's wat would u except from them....HID's makes other driver a lil blind anyways...but wat i m talking about is that u know people with normal stock bulbs and if their aim is so up high they will blind others with stock bulbs too....but if aim properly they wont right?...on the other hand HID's have way way more light output than stock bulbs so if thier aim is not good and pointing up high THEY DEFINALTY MAKE OTHER ROAD USERS BLIND FOR ATLEAST 1 MIN CUZ THEY JUST SAW THE SUN TOO CLOSELY...but thats pathetic whoever does that for fun....mine were mistakely pointed high....so then i aimed them down exactly where the stock were and now it looks kool and i can see more on the road at night time and dont make other drivers blind....well as i said ITS HID'S brighter than stock so it does make other drive a LIL blind even aimed right but NOT THAT BLIND THAT OTHER DRIVE CANT EVEN SEE ANYTHING....
Old 08-17-2008, 08:22 PM

I currently have the euro's as well with 9K hid's. Good output considering. Still want E36's though. lol
Old 08-17-2008, 08:35 PM

Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 PM

not too bad
Old 08-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

no, but those corners would get you pulled over in the states. and the passenger light seems to be pointed a little to the right to me (as well as the drivers...) based on the pic of the car pointed to the stairs.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
no, but those corners would get you pulled over in the states. and the passenger light seems to be pointed a little to the right to me (as well as the drivers...) based on the pic of the car pointed to the stairs.
i know those corners will get me pulled over in Canada too...i m jus about to change them to WHITE matching with HIDs and i have that lil guy on the far corner for traditional yellow light....and for aiming i know they r not perfectly aimed yet...jus dont get the time to fix them.....i m at work ritenow....lol part time on weekends as a security incharge officer in two apartment towers...thats y my car is parked in the parking lot of the building....
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

its HID's wat would u except from them....HID's makes other driver a lil blind anyways...but wat i m talking about is that u know people with normal stock bulbs and if their aim is so up high they will blind others with stock bulbs too....but if aim properly they wont right?...on the other hand HID's have way way more light output than stock bulbs so if thier aim is not good and pointing up high THEY DEFINALTY MAKE OTHER ROAD USERS BLIND FOR ATLEAST 1 MIN CUZ THEY JUST SAW THE SUN TOO CLOSELY...but thats pathetic whoever does that for fun....mine were mistakely pointed high....so then i aimed them down exactly where the stock were and now it looks kool and i can see more on the road at night time and dont make other drivers blind....well as i said ITS HID'S brighter than stock so it does make other drive a LIL blind even aimed right but NOT THAT BLIND THAT OTHER DRIVE CANT EVEN SEE ANYTHING....
just look at my picture. euro lights have a round top to the pattern so a) you lose corner visibility out far, b) you have way too much light going onto the ground right in front of your bumper which will kindof blind you a little bit, and c) the light at the top of the arc is going to blind oncoming traffic. In order to improve A and B, C gets worse, and in order to improve C, A and B get worse. Aim them up and it's like your highs are on... aim the down and the top of the arc is the only thing lighting up what's way out in front of you, plus the outer edge is always the dimmest part. These headlights are made by a 3rd party company that doesn't focus nearly as much on making quality products as they do on making a quick buck on something that's blingy.

Stock maxima were designed by highly-trained optical engineers whose job day in and day out is to design headlights for automobiles. They used ribbing inside the lenses as a cost-effective method of dispersing light where needed. The beam pattern of a stock Maxima headlight is NOT like that of a euro light. It's got a somewhat flat cutoff with a little lightsplash, and a tiny little peak in the middle but nothing nearly as bad as the one on a euro light. It's going to put through less lumens than the euro, but if you consider the percent light loss through ribbed lenses, compared to the percent of light actually placed in effective locations by said ribbed lenses, they actually kinda win, even if they're ugly as sin (which they are).

Projectors put out light in all the right places. Look at my picture. Light is not too intense just in front of you so your eyes will still be adjusted for the dark... puts out a ton of light so you can see far distances and spreads it right out to the edges, the cutoff puts more light up to the right to illuminate signs, and the cutoff is crisp and flat, so you can tune it to fall just below the oncoming drivers' line of sight, so they barely even see them at all, whereas you can see everything you need to, and pretty darn well, too boot.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:33 PM

just look at my picture. euro lights have a round top to the pattern so a) you lose corner visibility out far, b) you have way too much light going onto the ground right in front of your bumper which will kindof blind you a little bit, and c) the light at the top of the arc is going to blind oncoming traffic. In order to improve A and B, C gets worse, and in order to improve C, A and B get worse. Aim them up and it's like your highs are on... aim the down and the top of the arc is the only thing lighting up what's way out in front of you, plus the outer edge is always the dimmest part. These headlights are made by a 3rd party company that doesn't focus nearly as much on making quality products as they do on making a quick buck on something that's blingy.

Stock maxima were designed by highly-trained optical engineers whose job day in and day out is to design headlights for automobiles. They used ribbing inside the lenses as a cost-effective method of dispersing light where needed. The beam pattern of a stock Maxima headlight is NOT like that of a euro light. It's got a somewhat flat cutoff with a little lightsplash, and a tiny little peak in the middle but nothing nearly as bad as the one on a euro light. It's going to put through less lumens than the euro, but if you consider the percent light loss through ribbed lenses, compared to the percent of light actually placed in effective locations by said ribbed lenses, they actually kinda win, even if they're ugly as sin (which they are).

Projectors put out light in all the right places. Look at my picture. Light is not too intense just in front of you so your eyes will still be adjusted for the dark... puts out a ton of light so you can see far distances and spreads it right out to the edges, the cutoff puts more light up to the right to illuminate signs, and the cutoff is crisp and flat, so you can tune it to fall just below the oncoming drivers' line of sight, so they barely even see them at all, whereas you can see everything you need to, and pretty darn well, too boot.
i exactly know wat u r trying to say cap......it does go all in the middle of the road not on the sides and it does waste a lil bit light and u r absolutely right.....but believe it or not in dark night it doesnt matter...HIDs put so much light out that even if all the light is pointed in the middle of the road u can still see well on sides cuz its reflecting on the sides like a mirror...plus if u have white corners or change thier wiring on the stock 1157 bulbs to stay highbeam all the time then that helps too....i drive every weekends on the highway around 29km and i could see on the sides of the road.....ma try to take pic outside in dark and will post...
Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i exactly know wat u r trying to say cap......it does go all in the middle of the road not on the sides and it does waste a lil bit light and u r absolutely right.....but believe it or not in dark night it doesnt matter...HIDs put so much light out that even if all the light is pointed in the middle of the road u can still see well on sides cuz its reflecting on the sides like a mirror...plus if u have white corners or change thier wiring on the stock 1157 bulbs to stay highbeam all the time then that helps too....i drive every weekends on the highway around 29km and i could see on the sides of the road.....ma try to take pic outside in dark and will post...
ugh. always-highbeam corners are EVEN WORSE. i hate being at a stoplight at an angled intersection and the lead car turning left has their signal on and their corner light is burning my effing retinas... at least it gets dim again when they turn the wheel to the right again.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

besides if you go ahead and retro in some projectors you'll gain coolpoints amongst the 3g members for getting your hands dirty on things that others are too afraid to tackle.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 PM

Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 PM

still a pretty gud output.....and ya i do have e36 projectors sitting at home staring at my car....
Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

[/img]http://uploader.ws/upload/200808/170808_2137.jpg[/img]
[/img]http://uploader.ws/upload/200808/170808_2138.jpg[/img]
[/img]http://uploader.ws/upload/200808/170808_2144.jpg[/img]
how about a longrange interstate shot? i already know I won't like what i see but humor me anyways.
tape some aluminum foil across the bottom half of the headlight and then take pics again. i wanna see what that does.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-17-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM

i took these pics from a cell phone camera and its not any MEGA PIXEL its VGA some s*** lol....i will have to get hands on a better camera then i will take BETTER pics...cell phone camera doesnt show accurate image of the light...sometimes its too bright and sometimes it too dark....so not accurate....well the point was to tell swowlinc if its better and not melting so ya it doesnt melt and it have a pretty good output....looks kool too
Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 PM
1993 SE

very bright! and yeah if u can... uncross the beams!! thanks tho for all the responses, now i know not to buy these and wait for someone to sell me their projector e36's!! Can someone pls get rearended for me to buy your headlights? pls? ty
Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 PM

lol....i got e36 headlights...just sitting in my room since bought them....
Old 08-17-2008, 10:23 PM
1993 SE

lol....i got e36 headlights...just sitting in my room since bought them....
Yeah and u want like $500 something for them right?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:52 PM

no seriously lol....if i was living in states it would be easy for u....but i live in Canada so unfortunately all matters is shipping.....gime an offer... i m not that selfish lol

edit: if u like it i m happy to sell them to u if not then its alright

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-write-up.html

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-17-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM

I Went the other way with mine since everyone is doing the e36. I used the euro lense and custom fitted infiniti j30 dual projectors into mine and used a pair of cadalliac's d2S reflector bowls ,And have been running this setup for about 2 years now with out any problems from oncomming drivers. And like stated Before projectors give a precised wide beam Pattern both hid, and halogen than over stock

Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
I Went the other way with mine since everyone is doing the e36. I used the euro lense and custom fitted infiniti j30 dual projectors into mine and used a pair of cadalliac's d2S reflector bowls ,And have been running this setup for about 2 years now with out any problems from oncomming drivers. And like stated Before projectors give a precised wide beam Pattern both hid, and halogen than over stock
[/IMG]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/Sermaxima/DCFC0002-1.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/Sermaxima/DCFC0001-1.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/Sermaxima/DCFC0019-1.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/Sermaxima/DCFC0013-1.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/Sermaxima/0428070843a-1.jpg[/IMG]
for the record i f*cking LOVE your headlights
do you have any info specific to the J30 retro? I've got a pair but haven't messed with them yet. Or perhaps pics of the back of the housing would be cool.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 PM

for the record i f*cking LOVE your headlights
do you have any info specific to the J30 retro? I've got a pair but haven't messed with them yet. Or perhaps pics of the back of the housing would be cool.
Its quit a challenge though? But then again thats with all custom jobs. Alot of measurement were made to get the pattern lines from both right and left headlights to align up to give that razor image. Just recently i converted to the euro lense after running with stock flutter lense for quit some time and o boy what a difference of usable light. The stock lense works fine up until a certain distance and then from there the eruo lense goes a bit futher with the nike check lines being seen from off the sholder lanes of the road and other cars. Just recently i have seached the org to find out how to get the lo-beam to stay on with the hi-beam and there are two methods that can be done here Either a Diode (IN5404) , Or a relay setup. From what i read both work fine so i will be doing one this weekend and then i will take a few pic of the rear housing for you. Fiberglass was used to hold and mend the back of the stock housing and the j30 front sheild originally chrome was also fitted and fiberglass into the stockers as well to give a nice apperence with the euro lense. Someday this weekend i will take some night photo of the light and pattern.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 AM
1993 SE

Only thing missing are angel eyes, but very nice!!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 AM

i thought the whole reason why these things were becoming illegal was because people are installing reflectors with the projectors when you dont need them i think those are whats causing the blinding effect people talk about
Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Just recently i have seached the org to find out how to get the lo-beam to stay on with the hi-beam and there are two methods that can be done here Either a Diode (IN5404) , Or a relay setup.
this is what i came up with. is your idea simpler?

one of these days i'll modify the picture to show left and right. I would move a few things around (like the relay/diode combo would be behind the other 2 relays and the other 2 relays would have 2 poles instead of 1)

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-19-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
i thought the whole reason why these things were becoming illegal was because people are installing reflectors with the projectors when you dont need them i think those are whats causing the blinding effect people talk about
nono. the reflector is the part of the projector that the bulb fits into. Same applies on any type of headlight system. Just the reflector on the euro light is the ENTIRE back of the housing, whereas the reflector on a projector is only as wide across as the lens of the projector.

stock 'ribby' lenses

newer non-projector cars have these. The lens is like a euro, but notice the reflector dish itself has the ribbing in it... which is why they aim the light instead of making donuts like the Euro ebay lights do.

projectors. not the criscross pattern of the light beams caused by the elliptical reflector rather than parabolic. that's why putting the cutoff shield at the bottom cuts off light from the top.

note that all designs have reflectors.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-19-2008 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen headlights from Ebay