3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Flex pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008 | 03:59 PM

Flex pipe

Hello,

I think I'm going to go the cheap route and buy a new flex and have someone weld it onto the ypipe for me. I was looking at jcwhitney but I can't figure out what diameter I need for the stock y pipe,

Here is the link if anyone just wants to glance at it.
Also anybody know stock length?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/GARAGE-PRO-...1731_10101.jcw

Thanks for letting me bug ya!
Nick
Old 09-04-2008 | 04:27 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

The stock pipe is about 2 1/4" if I remember correctly

Not sure on the length but it's probably 5-6"

Last edited by James92SE; 09-04-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2008 | 06:50 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

is your pipe stock? why not have an exhaust shop just weld one on?
Old 09-10-2008 | 04:00 PM

I would recommend against a long section of flexpipe. Flexpipe doesn't hold the same pressure as a regular exhaust pipe. Some flexpipes can also leak from the joints that allow it to flex.
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:16 PM
mod or sell?

OMG! you must love spouting off about things that you clearly know little about.
there is virtually 0 pressure on an exhaust unless it has restrictions in it.
Old 09-10-2008 | 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan91SE
I would recommend against a long section of flexpipe. Flexpipe doesn't hold the same pressure as a regular exhaust pipe. Some flexpipes can also leak from the joints that allow it to flex.
Did you happen to know that our cars come with them stock and NEED THEM!?

If you love your car, add Jordan91SE to your ignore list, his advice will damage your car.
Old 06-08-2013 | 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Diameter found - plus more

Originally Posted by eventnick
Hello,

I think I'm going to go the cheap route and buy a new flex and have someone weld it onto the ypipe for me. I was looking at jcwhitney but I can't figure out what diameter I need for the stock y pipe,

Here is the link if anyone just wants to glance at it.
Also anybody know stock length?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/GARAGE-PRO-...1731_10101.jcw

Thanks for letting me bug ya!
Nick
I'm currently in the exact same position - I have a hole in both flex pipes and was looking to only replace the flex pipe. A mechanic told me I would have to replace the catalytic converter as well (even though this was still good) because the flex section seemed to be on the same part as the flex.. yadda yadda... Well, my limited budget cancelled out that solution so off to the internet I went!
I was just about to buy two flex pipes from JCWhitney and figured this was the perfect solution! However, like you, after seeing the various size options I got stuck!
I took the car into my mechanic for help with this - and his internet search didn't uncover the needed specs either (which kinda made me feel a bit more justified in my inability to find it).
He took out his micrometer and measured the pipes the flex pipe would be attached to (1 3/4")
HOWEVER he also saw it wasn't gonna be as simple as I was hoping It turns out that because the space to work with was extremely minimal due to the sharp bend in the pipe immediately in front of the flex pipe. Also, not surprisingly, the space above the pipe was too tight to enable him to weld the top of the pipe without having to remove the whole exhaust (resulting in a few more problems that would have to be addressed).
So as it is, I had two options 1. Pay him a bunch in labor to remove and weld the flex pipe. 2. Buy a flex pipe with a clamp.
Option 2 was quickly negated because the sharp curve immediately before the flex-pipe started didn't leave any room for one pipe to be inserted into the other.
OPTION #3 Turns out I didn't need to buy a new catalytic converter but rather just a set of front-pipes that included the flex-pipe!
This option will certainly cost a bit more than ~$45 I was hoping to spend at JCWHITNEY, but I'm guessing it'll be a whole lot cheaper than the catalytic converter option he originally prescribed.
I haven't even searched for the parts yet - but I wanted to post this asap FYI for feedback/suggestions from anyone with more mechanical knowledge than myself - which I believe to be nearly anyone/everyone on this site
Old 06-08-2013 | 06:28 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Your "mechanic" sounds pretty ignorant to be a real mechanic. Really though I wouldn't even think to take exhaust problems to a mechanic. You don't have muffler shops by you? They do this type of stuff all day.

You can buy a brand new complete y-pipe from Rock Auto for about a hundred bucks. If it were me I'd probably just do that and call it a day.
Old 06-09-2013 | 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by WillofCLE
I'm currently in the exact same position - I have a hole in both flex pipes and was looking to only replace the flex pipe. A mechanic told me I would have to replace the catalytic converter as well (even though this was still good) because the flex section seemed to be on the same part as the flex.. yadda yadda... Well, my limited budget cancelled out that solution so off to the internet I went!
I was just about to buy two flex pipes from JCWhitney and figured this was the perfect solution! However, like you, after seeing the various size options I got stuck!
I took the car into my mechanic for help with this - and his internet search didn't uncover the needed specs either (which kinda made me feel a bit more justified in my inability to find it).
He took out his micrometer and measured the pipes the flex pipe would be attached to (1 3/4")
HOWEVER he also saw it wasn't gonna be as simple as I was hoping It turns out that because the space to work with was extremely minimal due to the sharp bend in the pipe immediately in front of the flex pipe. Also, not surprisingly, the space above the pipe was too tight to enable him to weld the top of the pipe without having to remove the whole exhaust (resulting in a few more problems that would have to be addressed).
So as it is, I had two options 1. Pay him a bunch in labor to remove and weld the flex pipe. 2. Buy a flex pipe with a clamp.
Option 2 was quickly negated because the sharp curve immediately before the flex-pipe started didn't leave any room for one pipe to be inserted into the other.
OPTION #3 Turns out I didn't need to buy a new catalytic converter but rather just a set of front-pipes that included the flex-pipe!
This option will certainly cost a bit more than ~$45 I was hoping to spend at JCWHITNEY, but I'm guessing it'll be a whole lot cheaper than the catalytic converter option he originally prescribed.
I haven't even searched for the parts yet - but I wanted to post this asap FYI for feedback/suggestions from anyone with more mechanical knowledge than myself - which I believe to be nearly anyone/everyone on this site
Some techs don't weld to often or don't like welding...easiest solution would be a Muffler shop...they'll have pipes there.
Old 06-10-2013 | 04:45 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

my mig gun allows me to weld on top of pipes with very little clearance.
Old 06-19-2013 | 06:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by WillofCLE
So I just had to get my flex pipe replaced, as some idiot who had the car before me put a piece of straight pipe in there, which caused cracks in the Y pipe, as well as on both ends of the cat.

I took it to a muffler shop, where he REBUILT my Y pipe with new pipe, put in a flex pipe, fixed the cracks before the cat, cut the back end of the cat off and fixed the cracks on the cat and the pipe directly after.

All without dropping the whole exhaust, in about 30 minutes, and for $160.

So I'd find a muffler shop who has capable mechanics.