3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The 12 sec VE Auto dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
NWP Engineering.com

The 12 sec VE Auto dies

As I'm decelerating up to a stop light, the engine stalls cleanly. I try to fire it back up and the motor won't turn over, very similar to a low battery. But I check my multimeter, which is always connected, and there is plenty of voltage.

After pushing the car off the road, I try to crank it up again. Now it spins freely. Too freely. Doesn't sound like there is compression. I pull a plug to check spark and nothing. No spark.

After towing the car home, I diagnose the ignition circuit. Everything checks out fine. As I'm scratching my head, I look at the timing chain cover to see metal fragments.

Here's what I see when I get underneath the car:

The first thing I think is that the VTC sprocket cap busted off and grenaded the motor.

Sure enough, here's what I see when I remove the valve cover:

Well, the VE is dead at 203K miles. I really thought the original tranny was going to die before the engine. Or that the engine would pop when spraying the 200 shot at the track.

What now? I can swap in the spare VE engine that I have in my parts car. Or I can do a VQ35 swap. I'm not ready to leave the Maxima family to buy a G35 or BMW. Suggestions?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's sad to hear.

Did you spray a 200 shot already or was that just something you were planning?

If I were you, I would do a vq35 swap and then design and produce a swap kit for NWP to sell...
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Damn that sucks to here man. Which ever route you take I'm sure the car will be fast again.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM
VQ35 FTW

VQ35 FTW!!! You already make parts for it? Why not use that to your advantage? Sucks to hear that man. That was a nice ride.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Stick with another 3rd Gen Motor to Rep us how the 3rd gens can still kick *** with their original engines
Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 PM
kthxbye2u

oh noess!!!!! never fixed that accelerating problem did you Aaron? You coming to the SFMG still? QQ

Well.... I think you should do what 505 said
Old 09-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by coolsun
Stick with another 3rd Gen Motor to Rep us how the 3rd gens can still kick *** with their original engines
Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM
STFU n00b!

DOH!!
Sorry to hear man... mine went without warning too.. but at least I was turning 7000rpm at the race track when mine went.

Most likely the block is fine. If you're lucky, the heads are okay and you can just install new timing components and possibly valves. do a ring& valve job and put it back together.
perfect time to get a set of cams ground for it too.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:11 PM

I vote VG38E... you can be the first!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
mod or sell?

drop in another VE for now and build a custom motor with more displacement based off the VE
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Ya, either build and rebuild the VE or swap in a VQ. Your 12 second quarter mile time has always been an inspiration! What about turbo?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks everybody for the support. You can tell I'm not the happiest person in the world right now.

Originally Posted by 505max94se
That's sad to hear.

Did you spray a 200 shot already or was that just something you were planning?

If I were you, I would do a vq35 swap and then design and produce a swap kit for NWP to sell...
No, the biggest shot I've gone with the nitrous is a 75 shot.

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
oh noess!!!!! never fixed that accelerating problem did you Aaron? You coming to the SFMG still? QQ

Well.... I think you should do what 505 said
I had a little bug that started in March of this year. The car would lose 100% of power intermittently without stalling. Power would always come back if I let off the throttle for a second and got back into it. I never did completely solve that issue.

I know there is a meet in South Florida happening soon. In fact, that is where I am now with my broken car. But, I won't be here for that meet. I have to get back to NC for the huge East Coast Meet that I'm organizing in Maryland on Sept 27th.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
DOH!!
Sorry to hear man... mine went without warning too.. but at least I was turning 7000rpm at the race track when mine went.

Most likely the block is fine. If you're lucky, the heads are okay and you can just install new timing components and possibly valves. do a ring& valve job and put it back together.
perfect time to get a set of cams ground for it too.
Yeah, I can spend more money on this VE. But, I think I have some bad wiring in this car which is causing the little gremlin I've told you about this past Spring. I think it may be best that I rip all of it out and start over again. If I'm going to go through all that work, I might as well put a different engine in there. If I decide to go this route, I will probably start a big progress thread in the All Motor section to share every little obstacle I come across.

But, I would have rather had my engine die on me at the track, not as I'm babying the car.

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Ya, either build and rebuild the VE or swap in a VQ. Your 12 second quarter mile time has always been an inspiration! What about turbo?
Turbo isn't really on my mind right now. If I do happen to successfully get a 3.5 in there, I would do nitrous in the short run and who knows after that. But if I just put the VE engine in there that's in my parts car (225K miles), then I feel I would be giving up on this project car. I could go the VE route still and build it up the right way. But, it's still up in the air right now. It depends on what you guys think.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
You can tell I'm not the happiest person in the world right now.

It happens to all [most] of us, you have to remember it can always be WAY worse, and look at it as an oppurtunity. Now, if you're looking for shoulders to cry on, won't find one here, join the [blown motor] club, membership dues are $400/yr.

On a serious note, my condolences, I'm all for seeing you put another VE in there, I've always had a sweet spot in my heart for that motor, and being able to say you have a 12 second VE is SOOOOO bad ***.

OK, that's my turd gen post for the quarter
Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
It happens to all [most] of us, you have to remember it can always be WAY worse, and look at it as an oppurtunity. Now, if you're looking for shoulders to cry on, won't find one here, join the [blown motor] club, membership dues are $400/yr.

On a serious note, my condolences, I'm all for seeing you put another VE in there, I've always had a sweet spot in my heart for that motor, and being able to say you have a 12 second VE is SOOOOO bad ***.

OK, that's my turd gen post for the quarter
I was actually shooting for low 12s or high 11s with just nitrous with that VE. But, things change. I am now more motivated than ever to do something crazy to my 3rd gen.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

I was actually shooting for low 12s or high 11s with just nitrous with that VE. But, things change. I am now more motivated than ever to do something crazy to my 3rd gen.
Hmmm.... Well, with that in mind, It would be really crazy to do a built 3.5 VQ swap. I don't know much about VEs and what is possible with them since I am a VG guy, but I know it would be awesome to see a VQ35 finally swapped into the 3rd gen and done up right with a proper N/A or turbo build and a full write up. I think that would probably be one of the best bangs for your buck in terms of power and also notoriety. Besides, there are plenty of VQs around to choose from and also plenty of power options for them. Just something to think about.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Hmmm.... Well, with that in mind, It would be really crazy to do a built 3.5 VQ swap. I don't know much about VEs and what is possible with them since I am a VG guy, but I know it would be awesome to see a VQ35 finally swapped into the 3rd gen and done up right with a proper N/A or turbo build and a full write up. I think that would probably be one of the best bangs for your buck in terms of power and also notoriety. Besides, there are plenty of VQs around to choose from and also plenty of power options for them. Just something to think about.
Yeah, I'm certainly throwing the idea around. I can get a VQ35 engine for less than $600 with only 60-80K miles on it. But that's the least of my worries. I'll be sure to post all information about the swap if it does happen.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:40 AM

sorry about your motor Aron hope you have it runnin soon ,did go along way see you in a few weeks.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Turbo isn't really on my mind right now. If I do happen to successfully get a 3.5 in there, I would do nitrous in the short run and who knows after that. But if I just put the VE engine in there that's in my parts car (225K miles), then I feel I would be giving up on this project car. I could go the VE route still and build it up the right way. But, it's still up in the air right now. It depends on what you guys think.
i don't see it that way at all. I see that as a good temporary solution. There's no rule saying you have to keep the parts car's motor in there for any longer than you need it. It'll give you an opportunity to carefully weigh every option so you don't rush into a decision, and give you time to be detail-oriented [as we know that you like to be] when planning, part-sourcing, and assembling your next drivetrain setup. Granted you probably don't want to beat the s**t out of that motor in the meantime because 225k is approaching the point where I'd start being easy on a motor.... but even so, at least you'll be able to take your Maxima to all of the NWP-sponsored meets and stuff that you want/need to attend, instead of parking it and trying to whip something up in 2 weeks (or *shudder* taking a stock Stanza to a NWP meet ).
Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
STFU n00b!

Do it right.

come buy the Z32 tranny I just picked up for my S14 and bolt that to the VE. turn the engine the proper direction and use an S14 or Z32 parts car to steal the front and rear subframes.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Do it right.

come buy the Z32 tranny I just picked up for my S14 and bolt that to the VE. turn the engine the proper direction and use an S14 or Z32 parts car to steal the front and rear subframes.

someone a few posts up said something about writeups and notoriety.... that would certainly do it haha

tho if I were him i wouldn't do that to his current white 92... I'd get another one for that because, well, if something goes amiss, then byebye Aaron's 92SE.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM

Sorry to hear about the motor Aaron.

I remember you had a thread about your VTC rebuild starting to tick again very soon. Was this one making noise, or was it completely unexpected?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
someone a few posts up said something about writeups and notoriety.... that would certainly do it haha

tho if I were him i wouldn't do that to his current white 92... I'd get another one for that because, well, if something goes amiss, then byebye Aaron's 92SE.
I would do it to a gxe, 'cause, well, you see them all the time. not so much SEs, and even less, VEs.

on not doing it to the white 92....
Old 09-10-2008, 08:38 AM
STFU n00b!

Aaron's car is hardly even a Maxima anymore. it's a shell resembling a Maxima. So whether it's VE or VG, it just doesn't matter anymore.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I would do it to a gxe, 'cause, well, you see them all the time. not so much SEs, and even less, VEs.

on not doing it to the white 92....
naw i'd do it to another VE. At least that way, he has the harness in place, and a VE ECU. Swapping a VE into a GXE = notfun. Tho I suppose as much work as an RWD swap would be, a VG to VE swap would pale in comparison. So at the VERY least, he'd want a 92-94 GXE so he would still have functional signals and stuff, and not have to hack it up like Mike90SE did.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 AM
NWP Engineering.com

i don't see it that way at all. I see that as a good temporary solution. There's no rule saying you have to keep the parts car's motor in there for any longer than you need it. It'll give you an opportunity to carefully weigh every option so you don't rush into a decision, and give you time to be detail-oriented [as we know that you like to be] when planning, part-sourcing, and assembling your next drivetrain setup. Granted you probably don't want to beat the s**t out of that motor in the meantime because 225k is approaching the point where I'd start being easy on a motor.... but even so, at least you'll be able to take your Maxima to all of the NWP-sponsored meets and stuff that you want/need to attend, instead of parking it and trying to whip something up in 2 weeks (or *shudder* taking a stock Stanza to a NWP meet ).
If I did do a VQ35 swap, it won't be 2 weeks. I'll be lucky to have it all done in 6 months. I have a couple spare cars I can use in the meantime.

But why wouldn't I want to do something like this to my 92 SE? It's already gutted and ready to be hacked into. The only thing I see happening to the car that would make me get rid of it is if it got totaled out somehow and couldn't be repaired.

My main take on this is, if I swap the spare VE to buy me some time, then I will lose the motivation to get the car back up and running. I'd rather do this thing right the first time.

Do it right.

Yeah, I agree. Whatever I decide to do, it won't be a quick decision that I made in only 2 days. I've been pondering and getting together the plans for a VQ35 swap for several years now. I have the time and resources to make this Maxima a beast. And no, I don't consider high 12s with nitrous as "beast". I would like to be able to run low/mid 12s all motor. That would be fun to drive on the street.

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Sorry to hear about the motor Aaron.

I remember you had a thread about your VTC rebuild starting to tick again very soon. Was this one making noise, or was it completely unexpected?
The VTCs have been ticking for the past 100K miles. I rebuilt them about 50K miles ago, but I got a faulty rebuild kit and the ticking returned 1K miles later. I found out that the VTC rebuild spring I got was the same height and stiffness as the spring that came out of the engine. But I decided to rebuild them anyway and used the cap that came in the kit.

But before the engine died, it gave me no warning. I heard no unusual ticking or grinding going on. One thing I did hear on the last 100 miles of my NC to FL drive was that at WOT, the engine sounded just like the cone filter fell off. The intake had that distinct roar to it. I checked everything and there was no type of intake leak. So, I decided that until I found the problem, I would not go WOT again. Shortly after that, it stalled once and for all.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Aaron's car is hardly even a Maxima anymore. it's a shell resembling a Maxima. So whether it's VE or VG, it just doesn't matter anymore.
See. You understand. You know I'm not scared to take a sawzall to this car and do what it takes.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

My main take on this is, if I swap the spare VE to buy me some time, then I will lose the motivation to get the car back up and running. I'd rather do this thing right the first time.

ah, that makes sense. Same fear i have with my VE tranny is that since i'm installing it now i'll be less likely to get a 2nd gen tranny and swap the parts around to give me 2nd gen gear spacing (more spread out) on a VE differential. But I guess I can find another VE tranny to work with.

with the VQ35 swap are you researching FF or had you additionally researched stuff about a FR (z, or equivalent) setup?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
NWP Engineering.com

ah, that makes sense. Same fear i have with my VE tranny is that since i'm installing it now i'll be less likely to get a 2nd gen tranny and swap the parts around to give me 2nd gen gear spacing (more spread out) on a VE differential. But I guess I can find another VE tranny to work with.

with the VQ35 swap are you researching FF or had you additionally researched stuff about a FR (z, or equivalent) setup?
You know not to use acronyms with me. Please rephrase.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

You know not to use acronyms with me. Please rephrase.
d'oh. FF means front engine, front wheel drive. FR means front engine, rear wheel drive. (MR is mid engine, rear drive, hence the Toyota MR2, where 2 means 2seater).

oh, and z means 350z.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
NWP Engineering.com

d'oh. FF means front engine, front wheel drive. FR means front engine, rear wheel drive. (MR is mid engine, rear drive, hence the Toyota MR2, where 2 means 2seater).

oh, and z means 350z.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. But, the Maxima will not be converted to RWD. Matt was just one-upping my extremeness and suggested a RWD type swap.

If I did it, it would strictly be a 3.5 from a FWD Nissan. I have lots more details about the swap, but nothing is set in stone just yet. I still have a few different ways I can go about this swap. I'm just trying to figure out which is easiest.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. But, the Maxima will not be converted to RWD. Matt was just one-upping my extremeness and suggested a RWD type swap.

If I did it, it would strictly be a 3.5 from a FWD Nissan. I have lots more details about the swap, but nothing is set in stone just yet. I still have a few different ways I can go about this swap. I'm just trying to figure out which is easiest.
yea you answered what I was asking. It's a shame you and Matt don't live close to each other. It would be scary/exciting to see what you two could come up with...
Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

yooooo
sorry to hear bout gd VTC , im glad we got 2 VQ35 at my house. well untill we get the ve's gone. and the vg. lol

but the car was bad ***, espically when u hit the nosssssss!!! hahahaha

im selling that 92 red se auto. and all my 3rd gen stuff is going with it. which is a lot.

im betting u do vq swap!! fine a rear ended 02+ and swap it all
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Aaron, sorry about your motor lunching out... everyone hates losing an engine, although after a while you can get used to it!

Since I've blown three VQs, the Blown Motor club has waived my dues for life.

Honestly, think over the VQ35 conversion - once you go 3.5, you'll never go back. such a torque beast, and spray? oh, they likes their spray.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by grey99max
Aaron, sorry about your motor lunching out... everyone hates losing an engine, although after a while you can get used to it!

Since I've blown three VQs, the Blown Motor club has waived my dues for life.

Honestly, think over the VQ35 conversion - once you go 3.5, you'll never go back. such a torque beast, and spray? oh, they likes their spray.
I just wish I could have blown it with style! Not a VTC cap breaking lose.

I am actually sourcing out parts for the VQ35 right now. I may even be able to find a full running parts car for around $2000. I'd much rather go that route instead of buying little parts along the way. It'll be nice to have all the parts you need in one package since there is no telling what weird obstacles I'll run into. If I had a 4th gen, I'd just buy the parts separately and save a little cash. But it's tough finding a write up for the 3rd gen.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I am actually sourcing out parts for the VQ35 right now. I may even be able to find a full running parts car for around $2000. I'd much rather go that route instead of buying little parts along the way. It'll be nice to have all the parts you need in one package since there is no telling what weird obstacles I'll run into. If I had a 4th gen, I'd just buy the parts separately and save a little cash. But it's tough finding a write up for the 3rd gen.
It suxs when they go with a whimper, and not with a bang...

If you could find an insurance rear-end or roll-over total, you'd be set for parts. Seriously, the 3.5 has bunches more torque than a 3.0, and would make a great platform for future builds.

Would this be a 3 + 5 or 3 + 6 hybrid combination ??? 3.5 , 3.6 ? nope ?? - well, you get the idea - but you would have the first of this breed, right ???

Maintain.

Last edited by grey99max; 09-10-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Way out West

Did your VTC cap actually break? For some reason I thought the actual cap would come off causing that kind of damage.

Really sorry to hear about the car. Not the most exciting way to take out the world's fastest NA VE.

I have been highly considering a 3.5L swap for a 4th gen if I sell my car. As much as I love my VE, there is no replacement for displacement. haha

For you, I think perfecting a 3rd gen 3.5 swap would be a nice way to continue on the path of extreme 3rd gen building.

good luck
Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Did your VTC cap actually break? For some reason I thought the actual cap would come off causing that kind of damage.

Really sorry to hear about the car. Not the most exciting way to take out the world's fastest NA VE.

I have been highly considering a 3.5L swap for a 4th gen if I sell my car. As much as I love my VE, there is no replacement for displacement. haha

For you, I think perfecting a 3rd gen 3.5 swap would be a nice way to continue on the path of extreme 3rd gen building.

good luck
not to mention how many people would be chomping at the bit for a conversion kit from NWP!! that would be a monstrously large PDF installation guide haha.

if such a product ever DID come into existence, and Aaron ever needed a test car for wiring up the VG-to-VQ pre-time-control-unit harness hybrid, I'd be down for that

and Aaron....... what tranny were you planning to use, if you do the 3.5?

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 09-10-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 PM

I've never been a fan of the threads detailing progress while it's going down, especially long-term things, I much prefer it when it's just kept track of while doing it and than in the end making the thread, it comes out much cleaner showing the project all at once. Just make sure to not lose pic's/notes like I did for one I'm working on right now.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by grey99max
It suxs when they go with a whimper, and not with a bang...

If you could find an insurance rear-end or roll-over total, you'd be set for parts. Seriously, the 3.5 has bunches more torque than a 3.0, and would make a great platform for future builds.

Would this be a 3 + 5 or 3 + 6 hybrid combination ??? 3.5 , 3.6 ? nope ?? - well, you get the idea - but you would have the first of this breed, right ???

Maintain.
Yeah, that is the biggest reason why I'm looking so closely at doing this swap. I recently drove my friend's stock 02 Altima 3.5L and could not believe how much torque this motor had. Imagine that engine in a 2750 lb 3rd gen!

I'm not completely sure what you mean by hybrid combination. But it will be a full ECU swap.

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin

good luck
Check the OP. You'll see in the 2nd picture that the VTC cap actually broke and the piece got logged in the lower timing gear.

not to mention how many people would be chomping at the bit for a conversion kit from NWP!! that would be a monstrously large PDF installation guide haha.

if such a product ever DID come into existence, and Aaron ever needed a test car for wiring up the VG-to-VQ pre-time-control-unit harness hybrid, I'd be down for that

and Aaron....... what tranny were you planning to use, if you do the 3.5?
I think you are asking for a bit much for a plug and play harness connector. But, if I happen to go forward with the project, all the information will be jammed into one thread. Much like goldtooth, eng92, and others have done. I have read their entire threads completely over more than once.

I haven't made up my mind which way I want to go with the tranny yet. I am really hoping to link up my stock RE4F04V tranny to the VQ35. The bolt pattern for the casing is slightly different. But the internals are almost identical to the RE4F04B tranny that's used in the 02-03 Maxima. I could possibly have my stock internals swapped over to the new casing and bolt it up. That way, I will be able to use my VE axles, much like the Spec V guys do with the 6 speeds.

Or I can do a full tranny swap along with electronics and make hybrid axles (half 3.5/half VE). And my stock gear shifter looks like it will link up just fine. But, swapping over the TCM and wiring is just one more thing I don't want to worry about.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
I've never been a fan of the threads detailing progress while it's going down, especially long-term things, I much prefer it when it's just kept track of while doing it and than in the end making the thread, it comes out much cleaner showing the project all at once. Just make sure to not lose pic's/notes like I did for one I'm working on right now.
Yeah, I can understand. But there are a lot of people out there that know more about the process than I do. It would be nice to have their advice along the way. Plus, for those willing to read the thousands of pages (like me), those threads do just fine once they are completed. It's MUCH better than completing the project and not ever getting around to organizing a write-up.

Quick Reply: The 12 sec VE Auto dies